What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

I'm starting to think the Lakers are taking. If so, I guaran-****ing-tee, that they will get the first pick. Even if they are play in, if they have a chance at the first pick. It will happen.

/sarcasm

What's everybody's opinion on Clarkson potentially being traded by the deadline?

From everything I've heard it appears Ryan Smith is a big JC guy. I think most of the fanbase love him too. If I was given truth serum I'd probably admit he was my 2nd favorite Jazzman after Rudy the past few seasons. Yes I realize he shot them out of some games, had a bit of tunnel vision, blah, blah..

The fact is JC is on the wrong side of 30 and this team still needs to develop a few pieces before they are true contenders again.
JC also has a player option next summer for approx $14mil. If he keeps playing this way I don't see him picking up that option. This might be JC's last chance to sign a big contract especially if he keeps putting up big stats in a starting role.

Jazz already have a potential replacement in the JC 6th man role in Sexton. Maybe the organization wants to develop Sexton into more of a PG but let's be honest he's paid like a 6th man for the next 4 years and don't see him suddenly developing into the next great lead guard..it would be great for the Jazz but highly unlikely.

So what happens to JC? Is he playing so good he will play himself off the team and traded to a contender by the deadline? Will the Jazz resign him to a big contract next summer at age 31?
I'm reading headlines today that the Jazz are super reluctant to deal him. Is that some kind of smokescreen to get the Lakers, Suns, Bucks, etc to up their offer?
Jazz will pay him max yesterday

Rob Pelinka is incompetent, so he probably doesn't quite realize it yet... but his best bet to add a star or a FA is actually not to open up the 30M in cap space by letting Russ' deal expire, but rather to have optionality and expiring money to pair with their draft picks. If they think they can sign someone with 30M then trade for a star... well are you trading Lebron, AD, or the FA you just signed... cuz that's the only salary on the books.

Having Mike, Malik's option might help them make the Kyrie deal work. Rob really gonna throw away a year of Lebron and AD to maybe sign a sub max tier FA and keep a couple picks in 5-7 years.
Agreed.
Lakers won't have enough capspace to sign a max guy like Irving next summer considering the super max contracts for Lebron/AD and all the min capholds for the remaining roster spots.
They could use the expiring contracts of Beasley/Conley + pick to land Kyrie in a sign and trade though. That thought probably hasn't even dawned on Pelinka yet.

Clarkson should be Phoenix's main target. With his playmaking turn he'd be a great fit to help them out.
He would be perfect on both PHX and Milwuakee.
I wouldn't mind wrestling Beauchamp from the Bucks either. I really liked him before the draft and they aren't going to give many minutes to a rookie.

Like most reasonable people, I am sure you are basing this on Mikes extensive career playing the position, and Sextons lack of time on ball in Cleveland? He is more than capable of scoring at a higher level than Mike is now, and although he clearly is not proven as a floor general by any means , it seems fairly obvious to me, watching his mental decision making, hearing him barking out there on occasion over the past few seasons, and watching his game film from Cleveland when Garland was out. He has the chops to make it work. Don't see how Mike is really leading this team right now either, the offense is not really running through him for the most part at all, which kills your argument they would start losing adding a more efficient scorer in his place.
All that being said if Sextons oblique is major you won't see him at all for awhile.

This stat from Locke pretty much says it all. Mikes leadership and ability to run the offense have been huge, leading the team in assists with 7.5 per game.

View: https://twitter.com/DLocke09/status/1586430412909256705

This stat from Locke pretty much says it all. Mikes leadership and ability to run the offense have been huge, leading the team in assists with 7.5 per game.

Also think it's kind of rough for Sexton to play with THT.

THT needs to be more of an on-ball player and Sexton is use to having the ball. Hopefully Sexton can play well with the spaced floor that the starters bring.

I'm probably a minority of one on this forum but I'd take a low cost flier on a depressed asset such as Lonzo or Simmons.

Also think it's kind of rough for Sexton to play with THT.

THT needs to be more of an on-ball player and Sexton is use to having the ball. Hopefully Sexton can play well with the spaced floor that the starters bring.

Thats a good point. Sexton may run into the same problem in the starting lineup though with Clarkson being more of an on-ball player as well.

Not to mention that Mike has looked like the only guard who has real chemistry with Lauri. Whenever Mike is running the show, Lauri starts cutting more and tends to go off, leading to a much better Jazz offense overall. (I haven't checked the on/off numbers, this is just based on the eye test and a gut feeling).

Thats a good point. Sexton may run into the same problem in the starting lineup though with Clarkson being more of an on-ball player as well.
For Sexton to make any sense in the starting 5 imo, he has to be the point guard .No matter how rough a transition it is going from a true floor general like Mike to a score first pg,that is his best play if he is a starter. The only other play is to draft a Lamelo type and play Sexton off ball with him. It is a hard to find archtype though. I would rather see a Sexton + Ochai back court if Sexton can prove to be efficient as a floor general not just a scorer. If not the off guard would have to be more of a creator than Ochai is currently. Maybe Sexton should just come off the bench as a microwave, but I think it caps his ceiling. Which given his apparent insane work ethic over others in general is doing not only him but the team a disservice. imo if they want him to play the 6 they should trade him and let him do it for a team needing a starter caliber 6 not a team in a rebuild

For Sexton to make any sense in the starting 5 imo, he has to be the point guard .No matter how rough a transition it is going from a true floor general like Mike to a score first pg,that is his best play if he is a starter. The only other play is to draft a Lamelo type and play Sexton off ball with him. It is a hard to find archtype though. I would rather see a Sexton + Ochai back court if Sexton can prove to be efficient as a floor general not just a scorer. If not the off guard would have to be more of a creator than Ochai is currently. Maybe Sexton should just come off the bench as a microwave, but I think it caps his ceiling. Which given his apparent insane work ethic over others in general is doing not only him but the team a disservice. imo if they want him to play the 6 they should trade him and let him do it for a team needing a starter caliber 6 not a team in a rebuild

There are actually a few nice plus sized ball handlers in this draft with a "developing" shot.

Don’t believe this is a particularly reliable source, but

Until Monty comes out with it don’t believe it.

For reals though who knows… Tony has told us they don’t want to be bottom of the barrel but Ainge might be spooked by the losing… LA should be reaching out to everyone as they are dangerously close to letting go of the rope here if they don’t figure something out. 0-5 with Lebron and AD healthy is horrible… wait until those guys miss a few games for injuries or maintenance. Pelinkas “patient” approach is backfiring.