What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

One of the big things I hope DA does is get a swap with the Philly pick - Clips, Atlanta, Phoenix, NOP are all candidates for this... maybe they don't want to give a first outright for one of our dudes... get a swap and its just as good imo.

I wouldn't give up much value in a trade to move off of Rudy Gay's contract unless we scrub the cap a bit... we won't have cap space... and even then you can just waive and stretch him next year to take some of the sting of the cap hit away.

This is what I am seeing:

Boston receives the most favorable second round selection between Dallas, Miami or Houston.

Where are you seeing that Indiana owns it?
Tankathon... guessing Boston added in Indiana in the Brogdon deal.

Utah/Denver just seem like natural trade partners with Bones/Vanderbilt.

Denver has no bad contracts. They only have their 2029 pick tradeable. They really have no way to improve their roster outside of Bones and Braun. They only have Ish Smith and Jeff Green as salary matchers, which combined with Bones, can only get them to about 11 million dollars in tradeable salary. Of the projected sellers, I'm not sure who else can fill Denver's needs as well as Utah can.

If the Bulls become sellers, something like Smith/Bones for Caruso could make sense for both sides. But I'm struggling to think of other teams who make sense.

Bones straight up for JV is a bit too lopsided though seeing as Bones will have two more years on his rookie contract (unless Denver is high on JV. JV seems like a guy who probably has a wider range of value depending on who you are asking). Just a fantastic value where as JV will only have 1 more season after this year until he hits UFA.

Utah could add in NAW and make it a JV/NAW for Smith/Bones trade. NAW would probably be a decent fit in Denver for the season.
So we’re just giving away players for worse players now...

So then we dying to add another combo guard in Bones? Makes sense.
Not dying, but I think JV's value is probably lower than the Jazz are hoping. I dont think you are going to be able to get a first rounder for him, and I dont think the Jazz are that interested in 2nd rounders.

Bones is a combo guard at this point, but he has more passing/lead guard flashes than Sexton/NAW/THT do. I also think it's generally better to have some one with gravity as your lead guard. At this point the Jazz kind of need to throw **** at the wall and see what sticks when it comes to the position. When I watch Bones I see a guy who has great gravity and makes good reads. He's a very low turnover player and flashes high assist games.

Simply from a value perspective, a flip of JV and Bones would be great for Utah. JV is a limited asset and after this season his value will drop. You can take advantage of Denver wanting to make moves to their roster while having limited tools to do so.

I think one of the problems with this team is we have 3 (4 with Azubuke) 7-footish players, and a bunch of smaller players, with a couple of really small guards in Conley and Sexton in our top 10 rotation (although Sexton seems to play taller). In the 10-man rotation, we have only Vanderbuilt and Gay with any size (6'6"-6'10"). I think that's one of the primary reasons that Gay is getting regular minutes.

So that's why I think we see that Jazz interested in Collins or McDaniels. I think they want someone more in that size range. I'm hoping we can get somebody in the draft that can fill that need, but we probably need a more experienced player or 2 there as well. And that's also why I'm less excited about trade suggestions involving guards. That being said, I do agree that the Jazz should probably pick up a point guard (or combo) with one of the 3 1sts this year.

At this point, I wouldn't even want another pick in 2023 unless it is in the lottery. We already have 3 in the first round and it will be hard to trade up with this much hype. However depending on our record, we might not even have one at all in 2024 so that is the year I want to add first round picks. Also isn't 2024 still when we expect the double draft where the league eliminates the 1 year post high school rule? If so, that draft could be special and we might not even have a 1st round pick.

If we grabbed pick 31 we could package it with the BKN/PHI first to move up.

Not dying, but I think JV's value is probably lower than the Jazz are hoping. I dont think you are going to be able to get a first rounder for him, and I dont think the Jazz are that interested in 2nd rounders.

Bones is a combo guard at this point, but he has more passing/lead guard flashes than Sexton/NAW/THT do. I also think it's generally better to have some one with gravity as your lead guard. At this point the Jazz kind of need to throw **** at the wall and see what sticks when it comes to the position. When I watch Bones I see a guy who has great gravity and makes good reads. He's a very low turnover player and flashes high assist games.

Simply from a value perspective, a flip of JV and Bones would be great for Utah. JV is a limited asset and after this season his value will drop. You can take advantage of Denver wanting to make moves to their roster while having limited tools to do so.
Very low turnover? His assist to turnover ration isn't even 2:1. My view of Bones and your view of Bones are too different to have this convo. I'm fine with throwing **** against the wall but Sexton and NAW would need to be put on a back burner for this guy? Hard pass... Bones is throwing diarrhea at the wall... and diarrhea don't stick.

So we’re just giving away players for worse players now...
The emergence of Kessler just makes it difficult to play JV enough to where he develops and gains that value.

I never fully believed in JV;s development even without WK, but it's going to be harder for him to do so next to an offensively limited center like WK. The Jazz got 9 days to trade JV's contract and after that his value is going to drop. I'm not 100% on the get Bones train, if there is a better deal out there for JV go ahead and get it done, but the Bones/JV contracts line up nicely and it's just a clean trade (which is difficult to find in the market)

If we grabbed pick 31 we could package it with the BKN/PHI first to move up.
Picks in that range also don't go on sale during draft night... its usually picks around the 40ish range. Even if we picked up a package of 3-4 seconds somewhere its still value... the thing people keep forgetting is that every year good players are traded for second round picks... cash in a good player now for a good player you need more later. A premium second rounder is also not the end of the world... though we likely need to consolidate picks and move up and that doesn't always materialize.

The emergence of Kessler just makes it difficult to play JV enough to where he develops and gains that value.

I never fully believed in JV;s development even without WK, but it's going to be harder for him to do so next to an offensively limited center like WK. The Jazz got 9 days to trade JV's contract and after that his value is going to drop. I'm not 100% on the get Bones train, if there is a better deal out there for JV go ahead and get it done, but the Bones/JV contracts line up nicely and it's just a clean trade (which is difficult to find in the market)
I don’t necessarily disagree with your take on trading JV (though I’d prefer to keep him), but not for an inefficient undersized combo guard. I’d rather take a chance at (an admittedly equally inefficient) Cam Reddish. At least he’s a potentially usefull player type.

Oh you thought i said best. I see why you are confused now.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Did I say best? I, in fact, did not. Your statement implied the talent at the position is fine, which, it is not.

Look, whenever I’ve talked sports with people, when they’ve said “we’re deep at this position”, they’ve implied the talent is fine there. So when you said, “PG is our deepest position”, it sure seems like you’re saying the talent there is fine. Now perhaps you’ve decided to come up with your own definitions for words, and change what the implied perceptions are. Very possible. If you are doing that, it’s wise to inform others so that we don’t think you’re a blithering idiot.

Cy is correct that we need a PG because Conley is old, declining, and will hopefully/probably get traded. Sexton isn’t a true PG. Other guys might get spot minutes there, but they aren’t PG’s either. The Jazz need talent, and depth, at the PG position going forward. Fact.

But just think about the way the pastrami and burger meld together, in a tender cheese coated embrace, while the fry sauce quietly watches in the corner.
I hate you. Now you have to bring me one.

How much would door dash be to LA?

Very low turnover? His assist to turnover ration isn't even 2:1. My view of Bones and your view of Bones are too different to have this convo. I'm fine with throwing **** against the wall but Sexton and NAW would need to be put on a back burner for this guy? Hard pass... Bones is throwing diarrhea at the wall... and diarrhea don't stick.
22 assist rate vs 12% turnover rate. It's nothing special, but it's beats all our non-Conley guards plus you add in the shooting gravity which none of Sexton/NAW/THT have. Plus you add in the fact he would have 2 additional seasons at the rookie contract level.

And NAW has been put on the back burner for THT already. Plus there is a decent chance Sexton and/or Conley might be traded as well, so a back-burner may not even exist.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your take on trading JV (though I’d prefer to keep him), but not for an inefficient undersized combo guard. I’d rather take a chance at (an admittedly equally inefficient) Cam Reddish. At least he’s a potentially usefull player type.
Bones is already a useful player...

I get not being a huge Bones fan (because honestly I'm not either), but the outright dismissal of his talent/potential level here is hilarious when people are saying they wouldnt give up JV/NAW for him.

22 assist rate vs 12% turnover rate. It's nothing special, but it's beats all our non-Conley guards plus you add in the shooting gravity which none of Sexton/NAW/THT have. Plus you add in the fact he would have 2 additional seasons at the rookie contract level.

And NAW has been put on the back burner for THT already. Plus there is a decent chance Sexton and/or Conley might be traded as well, so a back-burner may not even exist.
Shooting gravity is nice and all but you ignore the things the other guys bring that are currently making them more functional players. I don't think a Mike or Collin trade is likely. I'd say its like a 30% chance one is moved.

The greatest value Bones would bring is he would really help us lose more. If we move Mike and trade Vando for Bones then whatevs... I just think you are way higher on him than you likely should be. I'd rather keep Vando and I'm not a huge Vando guy.