What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

We should be using the Gobert haul to finagle more pieces to put around Mitchell what does a trade of Mitchell for picks and a highly flawed might like Sexton get us other than really cool sex jokes?
I don't think you know about Sexton. You would get him straight up for JC or Bogey or something like that... then you move Donovan later for picks and whatever. Its a rebuild and Sexton won't really hurt the tank. He put up an efficient 24 pts per game as a 22 yo. He is high usage but efficient. If he takes another step he's a very nice player and he'd be on a bargain deal.

Right now we aren't forming a team... we are managing assets and this would be picking up an undervalued asset and figuring it out later.

There is likely a workable deal... the thing is Cavs won't want to go over the tax while doing it... so something like Sexton for JC and then we do a separate simultaneous deal where we take Cedi into our trade exception. Or it could go bigger and be Bogey/JC for Sexton and Levert or Lauri... not sure how much they value those guys. Maybe we add a pick and take Okoro into the trade exception.

Not sure they do a straight sign and trade. A young team with cap space should be in on getting Sexton for above MLE money imo. Pacers are waiting on Ayton but I don't hate a Haliburton Sexton backcourt if they can't land their guy.

After watching a couple of interviews with Ainge and Smith I've determined I'm not trusting Ainge until he convinces Smith to get a big boy haircut.
Dude, have you seen Ryan’s hairline? There isn’t a hair style in the world that’s gonna save Ryan’s massive forehead situation.

He already has a big boy hairline.
As a guy who lost my hair but very quickly went to the bald look... I can't recommend it enough for guys that have thinning hair... looks better and maintenance is amazing. I watch guys that are past the point of no return and just feel sad.

I mean Ryan could at least do the rich guy plugs like Elon.

As a guy who lost my hair but very quickly went to the bald look... I can't recommend it enough for guys that have thinning hair... looks better and maintenance is amazing. I watch guys that are past the point of no return and just feel sad.

I mean Ryan could at least do the rich guy plugs like Elon.
Yep. Been rocking the bald look for 24 years now. So much easier and far cheaper than monthly haircuts.

I don't think you know about Sexton. You would get him straight up for JC or Bogey or something like that... then you move Donovan later for picks and whatever. Its a rebuild and Sexton won't really hurt the tank. He put up an efficient 24 pts per game as a 22 yo. He is high usage but efficient. If he takes another step he's a very nice player and he'd be on a bargain deal.

Right now we aren't forming a team... we are managing assets and this would be picking up an undervalued asset and figuring it out later.
You don’t think we could tank with Mitchell? Why choose Sexton when we have Mitchell under contract for at least the next t3 years if we want.

You don’t think we could tank with Mitchell? Why choose Sexton when we have Mitchell under contract for at least the next t3 years if we want.
I already answered these questions, but the shortest answer is that it will take time we don’t have: at least two years if everything goes perfectly (it won’t), then Donovan is on the last year of his deal. Then he’s reupping for $70 million at age 29 or walking. Return value in a trade in that last year will be less than half what they could get for him now.

I already answered these questions, but the shortest answer is that it will take time we don’t have: at least two years if everything goes perfectly (it won’t), then Donovan is on the last year of his deal. Then he’s reupping for $70 million at age 29 or walking. Return value in a trade in that last year will be less than half what they could get for him now.
This is nonsense

Because we get a haul for Donovan in a trade and get Sexton at a discount. Tanking with Donovan leads directly to a trade request.

I'm not saying we have to get Sexton... I do think we need to be opportunistic and it might be a good opportunity. Roster fit should be ignored at this point with where we are headed (Tank City).

I likely wouldn't add a pick to do something for Sexton though. This is just a player for player thing.

Donovan to the Cavs is not the craziest idea to me (from CLE perspective). Wonder if they'd want him to pair with Garland. They have plenty of garbage contracts to send back + their own draft capital.
We are not trading Donovan mitchell for a package highlighted by Sexton. As Tony Jones mentioned, we can just sign Sexton.

If Spida were in then deal then it would be a package highlighted by Mobley, Sexton, and lots of draft picks.

Cleveland also had JC and got rid of him so I suspect they don't want him back.

My guess is that Cleveland would love a vet to mentor Garland. Conley for Sexton as the two main pieces makes sense. We get younger. They get a vet and don't lose Sexton for nothing.

Because Donovan is gonna bounce and he is a (perhaps rapidly) depreciating asset. There isn’t enough runway (to borrow a HH term) to rebuild with Donovan and he stay. Also keep in mind that Donovan’s super max contract if we were “lucky” to keep him would start at age 29 for $70 million a year.

Getting Sexton for $10-$15 million is 80% of Donovan for less than 50% of the cost on a younger player for a longer runway. It’s also an opportunity to rehab and asset and flip for more assets.

This team is going to be in a full rebuild in less than a year. You can bank on it. Every indicator is screaming that.
Donovan is not a rapidly depreciating asset. Quite the opposite. He is under contract for 3 more years and he is young, an all star, a playoff stud.

Some of yall don't understand how to negotiate without jumping off cliffs.

Don't buy it? See all of the Gobert proposals on this chain before he fetched a haul. Gobert was regularly considered a "negative asset" due to his contract and playoff successes.

Donovan is not a rapidly depreciating asset. Quite the opposite. He is under contract for 3 more years and he is young, an all star, a playoff stud.

Some of yall don't understand how to negotiate without jumping off cliffs.

Don't buy it? See all of the Gobert proposals on this chain before he fetched a haul. Gobert was regularly considered a "negative asset" due to his contract and playoff successes.
slow your roll there, chief. in five years, he's played well in the playoffs twice and has played poorly three times.

more importantly, he's been bounced in the 1st round three times and never made it past the second round.