What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

This thread has gone so far off topic that people are comparing Gobert to Giannis.
Nobody did. You made a statement that outside of Shaq and Hakeem, no premier center has won a title. Not sure why you used the term premier center or what you meant by it, but that was your comparison. Not sure how it relates to us, but you still haven’t answered the question on the historical precedent of building around a 6’1” SG and how many times that’s led to rings (qualifier that I’m not making this argument). I guess maybe we could give credit and say Iverson made it to the finals, while simultaneously dismissing that so did Dikembe.

Guis, the Bulls dominated the 90s with Will Perdue and Bill Wennington. This is the formula.

Nobody did. You made a statement that outside of Shaq and Hakeem, no premier center has won a title. Not sure why you used the term premier center or what you meant by it, but that was your comparison. Not sure how it relates to us, but you still haven’t answered the question on the historical precedent of building around a 6’1” SG and how many times that’s led to rings (qualifier that I’m not making this argument). I guess maybe we could give credit and say Iverson made it to the finals, while simultaneously dismissing that so did Dikembe.
Are we pretending Duncan was a PF... he was a center.

The biggest thing you need to win in today's league is two-way players (at any position). If Steph was still playing Trae Young style defense they wouldn't win titles either. Rudy has some offensive value... though it is limited in ways. Is Donovan? Is anyone else on the roster? Okay... so what is our biggest issue?

All NBA champions have been nouns for their team name. No team has ever won a chip whose name wasn’t a noun. Jazz isn’t a noun. We cannot win a championship without a noun. A rebrand is necessary.

Are we pretending Duncan was a PF... he was a center.

The biggest thing you need to win in today's league is two-way players (at any position). If Steph was still playing Trae Young style defense they wouldn't win titles either. Rudy has some offensive value... though it is limited in ways. Is Donovan? Is anyone else on the roster? Okay... so what is our biggest issue?
Biggest issue is you don’t win championships building everything around an offensively limited center. Period. Full stop. Semicolons. Wait a comma because I’m not done. But period. Seriously.

All NBA champions have been nouns for their team name. No team has ever won a chip whose name wasn’t a noun. Jazz isn’t a noun. We cannot win a championship without a noun. A rebrand is necessary.
Hey... you are on to something... and to really make we hit the nail on the head what we should do is name ourselves the Utah Nouns.

HH said "Giannis is also a center... AD is a center... centers are important still" which still has me wondering what the hell he's trying to say.

But to answer your questions:

I posted the tweet about how much title winning starting centers make a year for the last 10 title teams. The average is less than $10 million a year. I brought up two of the best centers of all time to make an example. Even the most elite two way centers haven't won in 20+ years. Jokic and Embiid haven't gotten close. Rudy is back end top 5 center right now and he's not one of the most valuable 20 players in the NBA. Maybe not even top 30. His trade market right now proves that. You win with wings. Playoffs belong to wings not overpaid centers.

As for Don, he's about to enter his prime. I was one of those saying we shouldn't build around Deron because small guys haven't won a title since Isiah. I was wrong. Well, Don is a better player at 25 than Steph was. I don't know if we can build a contender around him, but I like my chances more than 30 year old overpaid Rudy.

Hey... you are on to something... and to really make we hit the nail on the head what we should do is name ourselves the Utah Nouns.
No team has ever won an NBA championship with “U” being the first letter in their location name. On the contrary, San Antonio has won many and the Sonics and St. Louis Hawks have won them. Even the Syracuse Nationals.

We must become the Salt Lake Nouns.

You never know, I could see Johnnie Bryant or Alex Jensen playing him as much as Quin did because they already have a relationship with him.
It’s possible but I’d say if that came to fruition, it’s indicative of many other problems and we’re screwed if that’s the route they took.