Traditional PG not needed in Quin's offense

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Eenie-Meenie, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    We got the win. But we clearly missed Rubio for parts of that game.

2. Eenie-Meenie

Eenie-Meenie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    I agree. Donovan didn't do a good job of running the offense. But he did come through at the end.

3. UtahJazz32

UtahJazz32 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Thank God you aren't the coach and you speak for yourself not for anyone else on here. Were you blind for 8 out of the 10 wins? Sorry to be blunt but Rubio has been very stellar for us in our wins, he is all heart and has been playing his career best this last stretch of games, so yeah you can't hate on Ricky

Luiscar73 likes this.
  4. Eenie-Meenie

Eenie-Meenie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Hey, I'm sticking to my guns. Rubio is a role player. That's his ceiling. Dante has the potential to be a star and I hope he can fulfill that potential. If so, Rubio will be an after thought.

5. sahlensguy

sahlensguy Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Outside of Rudy and DM they are all role players. Even Donte.

6. freakazoid

freakazoid Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    See. This is just dumb. Neggedy neg neg negged.

Utah's offense has been pure trash without Rubio. Portland lost Nurkic in the first half, which allowed Utah to make a run in the 3rd to take control of the game, but our half court offense has been butt ugly since we lost Rubio.

The Rubio haters just need to man up and admit they were wrong, and that Rubio is a crucial player to making our offense work.

Luiscar73 and sahlensguy like this.
  7. fallenchicken

fallenchicken Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Missed Rubio bad. I think at this stage in Mitchell's career--asking him to run the offense is putting so much on his plate. Let him be the primary scorer and let the ball leave his hands. Rubio is really good for him. Mitchell has played great--he closed out the last two games. People have locked in to his drop in efficiency and I think a lot of that can be attributed to Rubio. Rubio makes so much happen. Without him, Mitch has had to force it.

8. elan_prodigy

elan_prodigy Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Great. Now Dante is doomed.

9. sahlensguy

Nov 10, 2010
    It's like the op wants to throw good money after bad. He's doubling down on stupidity.

10. jope

jope Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Rookie pgs very rarely lead teams to wins. Locke has done several episodes about it. Donovan hasn’t been great in controlling the offense, nor at this stage do I expect him to be. He’ll get there I have no doubt, but for now rubio’s poise is welcomed.

Only thing I’m worried about is does the couple games off snap Ricky’s fire and turn him back into “15-games-ago” Ricky? We need the new Ricky.

11. sahlensguy

Nov 10, 2010
    Ricky playing against Phoenix before the break is important me thinks. Don't want old muscle memory keeping in over a long layoff.

Luiscar73, Jazzta and jope like this.
  12. franklin

franklin Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    I don't know what's sadder between Lil Smokie here trolling you with his typical inane comments or the fact that Utah has been playing, and looking good, without a traditional point guard a lot this season (anyone heard of Royce O'Neale, Ingles, or Burks?) and nobody recognized that simple fact.

Also, breaking press coverage is much more about passing than it is having a good dribbler.

13. UtahJazz32

UtahJazz32 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    You realize Coach Q and Rubio have a great bond. Coach entrusts alot to Ricky and believes in his leadership abilities. Really your comments against Rubio have no weight but you are entitled to your own opinion.

Luiscar73 likes this.
  14. JustTheTip

JustTheTip Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2015
    I don't think we need a traditional point guard. George Hill wasn't a traditional point guard and he did fantastic last year. We just need a guy who can make smart passes, hit shots, has good ball handling skills, and has a generally high IQ. I expect Mitchell to do that eventually.

I do think Rubio is currently our best PG option. He's far and away better than Rubio, and Mitchell just isn't ready for that yet. But someday he will, and all we'll need is a Mario Chalmers/Steve Kerr/George Hill type.

So, no, we don't need a "traditional" PG, but yes, Rubio is our best PG option.

15. Bulletproof

Bulletproof You shoot me down but I won't fall Contributor

Feb 17, 2017
    And good PGs are typically better at making tough passes in those situations...

16. franklin

franklin Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    FCP takes a team effort and requires a breakaway player. Joe Ingles and O'Neale have an advantage over Rubio since they can pass over the top of the trap. Rubio's advantage is his speed and dribbling ability to break the trap.