What's new

Transgender and sports

Sucks for all the girls at 1A schools who have a star female athlete from a 4A school transfer to their school and kicks all their asses hard every single time. But, we're trying to figure out who the best is, so losers are gonna lose and winners are gonna win. Suck it losers, taxpayers are gonna get their monies worth figuring out who the best of the best is.
Why do you assume that athletes from 4A schools are superior to athletes from 1A schools?

I dont care about women's sports. If they want to play with dudes, cool.

Its just funny to me that some people suddenly care due to "fairness". If they really cared about fairness in sports, they would be posting threads about steroid use, something that is throwing off competitive balance much more than a trans person here or there.
Or what I saw my last few years in K12, affluent parents form groups from middle school on. These groups attend all the best training, all the best clubs, etc while the rest of your student athletes don’t. These parents can use their groups to shop around for the best school. It’s why orem
High got so good a few years ago in football.

these groups create super athletes and super schools. That’s why your richest schools are building dynasties. Corner Canyon and Lone Peak high school dominate in nearly everything. When was the last time you heard about payson, Taylorsville, Kearns, or a provo high doing anything?

At what point would you say cis women had been pushed out of their sport?

Trans women being overrepresented (respective to their % of the population of women) in olympic/professional level competition? Something past that? Something lesser than that?
Well past that. Again, we're talking a fraction of a percent of the total population. Letting trans women compete with cis women means you'll see the occasional trans woman competing, and occasionally dominating the sport.

Just to put this into perspective a bit, there are about half a million student athletes each year, and close to that number of trans people across all age groups in the entire US. Trans women dominating sports at any level just isn't something anyone should be worried about.

Well past that. Again, we're talking a fraction of a percent of the total population. Letting trans women compete with cis women means you'll see the occasional trans woman competing, and occasionally dominating the sport.

Just to put this into perspective a bit, there are about half a million student athletes each year, and close to that number of trans people across all age groups in the entire US. Trans women dominating sports at any level just isn't something anyone should be worried about.
That's about... 0.15% of the population?

I don’t know (or care) how anybody took my previous posts. To be clear, I am not opposed to a person transitioning from male to female and playing sports. I agree the amount of people this affects is minute. I simply pointed out there would be inherent advantages for said individual. If a person was to do this just be a winner, that person would have a special place in hell, IMO. I also agree that the vast majority of trans females would have zero interest in playing sports.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

That's about... 0.15% of the population?
Yeah, it's kind of hard to pin down. I've seen estimates of around 600,000 trans people in the US as well as percentage figures of around 0.6% of the population, which don't really line up. But I'd guess they make up probably somewhere between 0.3% and 1% of the population.

As a father of a young female athlete, I understand the perspective of people trying to protect female athletes and scholarships reserved for female athletes.

As an uncle to a transgender teen, I understand why we want transgender people to feel included and respected.

I'm not sure why people at least can't see both sides of the argument. Instead, there are assumptions that one group is transphobic or the other doesn't care about biological females rights.

Clearly there are advantages if someone went through puberty as a male, and then transitioned (I haven't heard of any trans males breaking athletic records). But is it causing enough of an issue that it warrants legislation? Probably not. That said, if your daughter missed out on a scholarship that was given to a trans female, how would you feel about it?

So my wife randomly asked me the other night if I thought males transitioning to females or males that feel like they are female and are too young to officially start transitioning should be able to play womens sports.

I said no. It is not physically fair. Men are taller, stronger, have denser bones, more explosives muscles, and on and on ... scientifically there is no logical reason to allow it. Her main argument was feelings. These people already have it hard enough, so they should be allowed to play womens sports despite it completely screwing the hundred or so biological women who have been training in these sports to try and win.

It ended when I kept saying if I cut off my penis and start taking estrogen I'd still be much much stronger, taller, faster, more athletic, etc .... than her or 99.999% of women and she told me I was an *******.

I really really hate when the left tries to be the party of science until the science disagrees with their feelings. Then its out the door.

Sounds like the two of you need counseling.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to pin down. I've seen estimates of around 600,000 trans people in the US as well as percentage figures of around 0.6% of the population, which don't really line up. But I'd guess they make up probably somewhere between 0.3% and 1% of the population.
And of that percentage how many are even remotely interested in sports? Of that percentage, how many would be willing to subject themselves to unwarranted scrutiny from society? Most trans students just want to blend in (usually this is a top challenge). And of that percentage, how many would actually be good in the sport? Dominate?

I think the chances of your kids dying in a school shooting are much higher than your kids losing out on scholarships to a trans kid. And we all know that we’re doing nothing legislatively to make our society safer from gun violence (quite the opposite actually with all these stand your ground and permit-less carry laws going into effect).

I say society should focus on the real issues in sports and schools; unequal funding, poorly designed curriculum, teacher burnout, and cyber bullying.

Last edited:
Where have you been for the last several months? Welcome back.

That said, if your daughter missed out on a scholarship that was given to a trans female, how would you feel about it?
I'm not a parent, but I'd like to think I'd feel the same way as I would if she lost out to someone else who had any other kind of advantage over her, whether that be access to better sports training, or god given physical advantage or whatever.

Estimates I've seen put the trans percentage around 1% in younger generations.

What I'm digging for here is at what % people think we would see a negative effect on athletic participation from AFAB individuals (or you could of course argue for why we wouldn't see such a decrease no matter the %, but that doesn't sound realistic - giving kids role models they can relate to is important). Because that is the negative consequence that gives me serious pause, not the personal lives of a handful of athletes that either would or wouldn't be competing at those top levels.

Estimates I've seen put the trans percentage around 1% in younger generations.

What I'm digging for here is at what % people think we would see a negative effect on athletic participation from AFAB individuals (or you could of course argue for why we wouldn't see such a decrease no matter the %, but that doesn't sound realistic - giving kids role models they can relate to is important). Because that is the negative consequence that gives me serious pause, not the personal lives of a handful of athletes that either would or wouldn't be competing at those top levels.
Huh, I guess I'm a little confused about your point here. I'm not sure future generations of young girls are going to feel like they can't look up to trans female sports stars, nor that they won't have appreciably fewer cis women sports stars to look up to.

Unless you believe trans women could somehow make up a majority of women in sports in the future, which is ludicrous imo.

Huh, I guess I'm a little confused about your point here. I'm not sure future generations of young girls are going to feel like they can't look up to trans female sports stars, nor that they won't have appreciably fewer cis women sports stars to look up to.

Unless you believe trans women could somehow make up a majority of women in sports in the future, which is ludicrous imo.

A majority would indeed be pretty ludicrous.

But yes, I find it likely cis girls will have a harder time connecting with trans women than cis women.