What's new

Trump abandons Kurdish allies to Turkish invasion

Your initial diatribe at 1:25 bounced around from topic to topic. Was that what you were trying to communicate? It's weird because you then went on a rant about how Assad should release ISIS prisoners (which he did in 2011 that led to ISIS gaining power). Then, you proceeded to mention Carter, Rumsfeld, and Obama/Clinton in a completely disjointed way (but I'm sure it made sense to you).
The point I was trying to make, which went over your head (my fault, not yours because it is my responsibility to communicate clearly) is that there is a long history of our failed involvement in the Middle East.

Now I was actually in favor of the first Iraqi war. And I reluctantly supported Bush II in the second. I said "reluctantly" because, after Bosnia and Mogadishu, I was beginning to have doubts about our intervention policy and I didn't like the way the Afghan war was progressing with no apparent end in sight. But Bush II said Saddam had weapons of mass destruction and I believed that the president had information sources that he couldn't share with us.

Then we found out that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, but was hoodwinked into war by an Iraqi dissident who wanted us to kick Saddam out and put him in power. (And thank you, CIA, for doing a such a wonderful job of giving us this intelligence before we went to war.)

So I learned to be very skeptical when our leaders involve us in new wars. What happened in Libya and Egypt showed I was right to be skeptical. Then we got involved in Syria.

You wonder what will happen to the (Syrian) Kurds if we pull out? The same thing that will happen if we pull out next year, or in two years, or in twenty years: they will be left surrounded by hostile regimes. The same regimes that surrounded them before we intervened.

There are no good options, but, perhaps, we should have had the foresight to recognize a fools errand before we invaded a sovereign nation that was never a threat to our national interest.

And, yeah, that's what Nationalist means for those of us who voted for Trump.

So much winning

Disgusting.

You're right. We should bomb the hell out of Turkey, what's another war between NATO allies? Or does it matter that Turkey is a part of NATO?

If we attack a member of NATO, i.e. Turkey, does that put us at war with the other NATO nations? (Although I must admit, bombing the French has a certain appeal.) Or how does war with Russia sound if they attack the Kurds?

Oh, the conundrum we find ourselves in: Break our faith with Kurds or attack a NATO ally and possibly go to war with Russia?

Sure looks like we were pretty damn stupid to put ourselves in this fix by invading Syria.

You're right. We should bomb the hell out of Turkey, what's another war between NATO allies? Or does it matter that Turkey is a part of NATO?

If we attack a member of NATO, i.e. Turkey, does that put us at war with the other NATO nations? (Although I must admit, bombing the French has a certain appeal.) Or how does war with Russia sound if they attack the Kurds?

Oh, the conundrum we find ourselves in: Break our faith with Kurds or attack a NATO ally and possibly go to war with Russia?

Sure looks like we were pretty damn stupid to put ourselves in this fix by invading Syria.
Da***?

This is one hell of a strawman you've constructed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Da***?

Yeah. It’s a weird post. No one but trump and is unmatched wisdom has advocated for military action against Turkey. Plenty of people have advocated for maintaining the protection of our Kurdish allies.

Dafuq?

it also raises interesting, to me at least, questions.

How does a war between NATO allies work?

is desire to keep Turkey in NATO places above allegiance to allies like the Kurds?

Dafuq?

Strawman? Are the (Syrian) Kurds not being threatened by the Turks and Russia? Isn't that what is being reported by David Ignatius? What everyone is implying is that the only way we can protect the (Syrian) Kurds is if we continue our illegal occupation of a sovereign nation in perpetuity.

it also raises interesting, to me at least, questions.

How does a war between NATO allies work?

is desire to keep Turkey in NATO places above allegiance to allies like the Kurds?
I mean, Turkey would want a war with the US about as much as we would. Which of course is why US presence and support of the Kurds acted as a deterrent to an invasion.

I think there would be a diplomatic breakdown and a disintegration of NATO before its members would engage in warfare with one another.

Strawman? Are the (Syrian) Kurds not being threatened by the Turks and Russia? Isn't that what is being reported by David Ignatius? What everyone is implying is that the only way we can protect the (Syrian) Kurds is if we continue our illegal occupation of a sovereign nation in perpetuity.
If you believe we live in a binary world, where only the events you've imagined are possible, then sure.

I mean, Turkey would want a war with the US about as much as we would. Which of course is why US presence and support of the Kurds acted as a deterrent to an invasion.

I think there would be a diplomatic breakdown and a disintegration of NATO before its members would engage in warfare with one another.

I don’t mean us and Turkey specifically and it SL all hypothetical and back room whiskey talk.
But watching it play out as national policy is horrendous.

rise up Rs. RISE UP AND THROW HIM DOWN IN RIGHTEOUS FURY

I don’t mean us and Turkey specifically and it SL all hypothetical and back room whiskey talk.
But watching it play out as national policy is horrendous.

rise up Rs. RISE UP AND THROW HIM DOWN IN RIGHTEOUS FURY
Yeah I gotcha, I guess my point is that organizations like NATO exist in part because it creates a mutually beneficial arrangement where the need to stay in overrides whatever kind of objective might be met by an action that would lead to getting kicked out.

Yeah I gotcha, I guess my point is that organizations like NATO exist in part because it creates a mutually beneficial arrangement where the need to stay in overrides whatever kind of objective might be met by an action that would lead to getting kicked out.

but does it? At what point does something else some other goal rose above that

what would it take for a rational US president to abandon NATO. Poland, UK, Germany, Hungary...Turkey?

does NATO see such an event coming and pre-emptively kick a nation out? Is that even a thing?

but does it? At what point does something else some other goal rose above that

what would it take for a rational US president to abandon NATO. Poland, UK, Germany, Hungary...Turkey?
Well, I'm sure there is a theoretical limit that may be reached someday. But it's worked for seventy years now.

A rational president would probably find a way to pin the other party as the "aggressor" and get them kicked out first lol.

Well, I'm sure there is a theoretical limit that may be reached someday. But it's worked for seventy years now.

A rational president would probably find a way to pin the other party as the "aggressor" and get them kicked out first lol.

true. But we suddenly have Erdogan and Trump. Are either rational? Abandoning the Kurds over night doesn’t seem rational to me. Nor does the severe crack down and roll back of freedoms in Turkey. According to American journalism at least.

If you believe we live in a binary world, where only the events you've imagined are possible, then sure.
Oh lordy, so now I'm living in a binary world. Please tell me what can be more binary than:

'There ISIS! Kurds, attack!'

true. But we suddenly have Erdogan and Trump. Are either rational? Abandoning the Kurds over night doesn’t seem rational to me. Nor does the severe Kurdish crack down and roll back of freedoms.
Well, Kurds have been fighting for autonomy and their own state with Turkey for a good forty years now. From that perspective Erdogan is acting rationally.

Trump on the other hand, yeah, it just doesn't make sense. The decision to bail was clearly not well thought out, or consulted on with basically anyone aside from Erdogan as far as I can tell. I guess there could be some heretofore unknown motive for this move by Trump, but I'd hate to speculate.