What's new

Trump abandons Kurdish allies to Turkish invasion

Do people seriously believe that leaving 50 US troops in the contested region would have stopped Turkey from invading? Has anyone once entertained the idea that Erdogen made his intention to invade Syria very clear to Trump, US presence or not?

And now we hear reports of Turkey jets bombing the Kurds and our generals are upset because Trump ordered them not to intervene.

Think of that for a moment -- our generals are upset because they are not allowed to shoot down jets belonging to a NATO ally.

Clearly, we have done a poor job of choosing allies.
Turkey is invading because they got an agreement with the President that allows them to do so. It has nothing to do with the number of troops we have.

Intervening would not be shooting down their jets. It would be making a phone call. Man you're kind of clueless about how this **** works.

Turkey is invading because they got an agreement with the President that allows them to do so. It has nothing to do with the number of troops we have.

Intervening would not be shooting down their jets. It would be making a phone call. Man you're kind of clueless about how this **** works.
Look, unless the alternative to what's going on is a full on hot war with Turkey, these chuckleheads won't be able to defend it. These clueless takes are borne out of a necessity to go to bat for dear leader, it's just not possible that he could be making a mistake.

I repeat, ****ing what!?

This is an insane line, even by Trump's standards.
I'm so shocked that people support the guy. I mean just read his tweets. Listen to him talk. No need to worry about media bias or anything. Just listen to Trump and read his tweets.
He is an idiot. It's so obvious.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

@Ellipse

I know Romney thinks being "conservative" means allowing corporations to maximize profits by offshoring manufacturing jobs and importing a cheaper workforce through legal and illegal means. I think I'm conservative, but I'm not that kind of conservative.

What about tax cuts for the rich, is that conservative? What about using government to enrich a certain class of people, is that conservative? What about deregulation that primarily benefits the worst polluters, is that conservative?

Lindsey Graham thinks being "conservative" means being okay with armed intervention in any country, for any reason. After all, how can anyone argue against us standing up for 'Truth, Justice, and the American Way'? (I wonder where these "conservatives" were when Pol Pot was killing 2 million Cambodians, and we did nothing?) Well, I no longer belong to that conservative group either.

Does Lindsey Graham even know what he believes in anymore?

One thing Romney was right about? Russia was and still is our #1 enemy. He nailed that back in 2012.

@framer

If your views on intervention have changed, where are the other spots that we should commit troops and treasure in the Middle East? Surely the Northern Part of Syria cannot be the only place, no?

Surely you don't think I have the classified information and expertise to answer this question, right?

"Democrat" is me being snarky about the 2016 Democratic Primary. I joked with the people I did a panel for (mostly Democrats) that the party kinda lost rights to the term Democratic after the super delegate fiasco. You are correct, I should retire it.

I know Limbaugh uses it all the time (funny, I listen to Limbaugh far more than I watch MSNBC).

But seriously, my big thing is that I don't think many, if any of us, on this board have a clear understanding of what exactly is the deal in Northern Syria. I don't really think that the Iraqi Kurds are completely transferable to the Syrian Kurds and that maybe Turkey doesn't have a justifiable beef with members of that community. Is Turkey threatening the Kurds in Iraq? Although the current leadership of Turkey sucks, the issues between these groups spread back way before his rule. I don't know what is real, I can't trust politicians or journalism to get me the straight story without spinning it or serving up someone else's spin because they are ignorant of the situation.

It was leaked by Trump's own aides that he was "rolled by Erdogan" in their phone call earlier this week. Because Trump has a history of this, I'm assuming Turkey probably gave Trump a personal favor. Maybe they'll concoct something against Biden or Warren in exchange for Trump moving our troops out of position so we would be unable to protect the Kurds?

You talk about how it was better when Saddam could suppress the religious crazies and how that was better than what we have today and yet scream about the killing of Kashoggi like it was the worst evil ever perpetrated on Mankind. It was the same thing.

Absolutely not. There's definitely some space between regime change and denying that Saudi Arabia's MBS even had knowledge of Kashoggi's murder. I'd suggest an appropriate response lies in between regime change and denying what our own intelligence services confirmed.

Both are real bad, but our media class treats only Kashoggi as meaningful because he had a byline.

You don't think Trump's response of first denying that MBS knew about it and then demeaning its importance by saying, "Well gee, Saudi Arabia buys a lot of military crap from us. So whatchagonnado" had anything to do with the worldwide outrage over Kashoggi's murder?

Like seriously Donald? At least pretend to care.

Overall I don't think this is a game we are equipped to play. There is nothing about how things run out there that we can even begin to understand with our cultural background. The best thing we could do is achieve energy independence and encourage and reward obvious cultural reforms, without making too many commitments or promises. This is the play ALL of our NATO allies are making, minus the energy independent part. Not one of them is saying ANYTHING about the Kurds or lifting a finger to help. Why do you think that is? Hell Turkey IS a NATo ally, supposedly.

Not to mention the real contest isn't based in an 80's Cold War *** for tat with Russia in the Middle East, it's in Asia, and based on what we have seen in the past few days, China's influence is much more dangerous.

This seriously ignores the past 50 years of American foreign policy. Has it all been glitter and gold? No. But America definitely has tools at its disposal to mold and shape other country's behavior. Look at how the Soviet Union caved to a united west. Why was it such a disappointment when we pulled out of the Paris Agreements? Look at how dozens of African nations work with us to improve education and women's rights in exchange of medicine and business. If America wasn't equipped "to play" (I'm not even sure what that means) why do you think Russia made such an effort to elect Trump over Clinton?

Just look at how Turkey is acting now that America has given Erdogan the green light to massacre the Kurds. They weren't doing that a week ago even without America forcing regime change! Whoa!

Today is showing you a world without American intervention. We’re seeing it raw right now.

America, united with its European allies, is equipped to influence a wide array of issues across the world. We just need to make human rights, democracy, and protecting the environment a priority over enriching one's family and digging up dirt on one's political opponent.

Last edited:
WHAT sanctions are going to bring the Kurds already dead and who will shortly be dead, back to life?

What sanctions will restore Kurdish faith in America?

Also, how do we know that Erdogan didn’t just do Trump a favor? Maybe he just agreed to do the “investigation” that Ukraine didn’t do and that’s why Donald moved American troops out of the way?

Seriously, how do we know that Turkey didn’t just bribe Trump?

Oof

So the Kurds deserve to be slaughtered because they didn’t storm the beaches of Normandy? Wow so is Germany now our enemy and Russia now our ally? How about japan and Italy?

Last edited:
Really? This is MAGA?

Either Pompeo is lying or Turkey just told us, the United States of America, to “Get Out of The Way!”

Turkey. Just kicked our ***. Turkey.

Really? This is MAGA?

Either Pompeo is lying or Turkey just told us, the United States of America, to “Get Out of The Way!”

Turkey. Just kicked our ***. Turkey.

So they're going with "we were bullied by Turkey to leave" as justification for abandoning the Kurds?

Wow. What strong leadership.

So they're going with "we were bullied by Turkey to leave" as justification for abandoning the Kurds?

Wow. What strong leadership.

Or maybe he’s just lying? But why would he be lying? Who’s he covering up for? Who really wanted us out of northern Syria? And why are we letting another country bully us? What else could he be lying about?

Interesting thought:

Could Lindsey Graham have done more to sell out for Trump? Yet is it even possible for him to have less influence over Trump? He spent all of this time and energy kissing Trump’s backside with the hope of having influence and look at how little influence he has. What has he gotten out of this transactional relationship?

Or maybe he’s just lying? But why would he be lying? Who’s he covering up for? Who really wanted us out of northern Syria? And why are we letting another country bully us? What else could he be lying about?

Interesting thought:

Could Lindsey Graham have done more to sell out for Trump? Yet is it even possible for him to have less influence over Trump? He spent all of this time and energy kissing Trump’s backside with the hope of having influence and look at how little influence he has. What has he gotten out of this transactional relationship?
It's not great when the unlikely "official" story is that the commander in chief caved under pressure from Turkey at the expense of our ally, and the security of ISIS prisoners.

There are so many legitimate questions surrounding Trump's foreign policy, it's hard to know where to start. Why do so many of his actions end up benefiting Russia? How much do his international business interests end up influencing his decision making? How much has he compromised himself with other leaders who have him on tape asking for favors regarding his political rivals?

These are not questions the American people should have to ask about their president.

I try to stay out of the political threads here, even though I have rather strong opinions on the current POTUS.

That said, "the Kurds didn't help us at Normandy" line is so shockingly dumb it's hard to comprehend that it's coming from the President of the United States. What a ****ing dumbass clown Trump is.

Don't worry about the hundreds or thousands of ISIS fighters that might escape, we've got-

*checks notes*

two of them in custody, so we're good.

Trump has definitely sold the Kurd's out but what is he getting in return? That's what I can't work out, simply disengaging from the conflict seems disingenuous, the Kurd's have always been a handy destabilising influence in the region for the US. Heavy shades of the Gulf War going on but that ended up well for everyone involved...

It was leaked by Trump's own aides that he was "rolled by Erdogan" in their phone call earlier this week.

Not sure if this is the same source that said Trump was "rolled" and that he "had no spine", but Fox News reported yesterday:

PENTAGON – President Trump "went off script" during his call on Sunday with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, before he announced that the U.S. would withdraw all troops from northeast Syria ahead of a Turkish military operation in the region, a well-placed senior U.S. military source told Fox News on Wednesday.

During the phone call, Trump had talking points, according to the source: “Tell Erdogan to stay north of the border."

“He went off script," the source said.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-phone-call-erdogan-turkey-syria

I'll equate "going off script" with "having no spine".