What's new

Trump's Coup Attempt

It’s a shame that snobbish elites have such contempt for retail workers. It just goes to show how fake their “populism” really is.

I think we can all agree that children should be taught history, no matter how uncomfortable it might be. That’s why we should elect board members and leaders that support comprehensive history education and support public libraries. You can’t learn history if you’re banning books.

There are a lot of reasons why people work in retail. One that my wife works with is in the National Guard and this is a second job. The ones I mentioned earlier are not the products of the schools you mention because they have not graduated from those schools yet, they are 16 year olds. A significant portion of the people who work in the store who are adults are immigrants, largely from eastern Europe for whatever reason, so they are not the products of our education system. Also, my wife started as an associate at that company before becoming a manager.

So basically, your comment was ignorant, incorrect and extremely condescending. Maybe there was something about your educational endeavors that was lacking?
Good post.

And if one were to look at this problem seriously, there is anti-intellectualism on both sides of the political spectrum. It’s far worse on the right, where anti-intellectualism is a mainstream tenant of American conservatism. You see that with climate change, anti-vaccines, refusal to admit slavery was the cause of the civil war and systemic inequities still exist, the big lie, etc. But it also exists on the fringes on the left as well.

Which is sad. Most of us want to have honest and open discussion about issues. Sadly, some people want to ban books and teaching certain subjects and prevent these discussions from even happening. Deplorable

Last edited:
...because they have not graduated from those schools yet, they are 16 year olds.
You think it is acceptable for 16 year olds to not know we've been to space or that the Holocaust happened? As for the rest of your misdirection, The Thriller's article specifically said they were "young Americans". It is a giant fail for so many young Americans to not know very basic things. Specifically it is a failure of the education system that we spend billions of dollars funding.

there is anti-intellectualism on both sides of the political spectrum.
The problem isn’t anti-intellectualism but willful incompetence among educators and administrators. Not knowing basic facts that should be taught in school is a failure of schools, and if you really want to point political fingers, the overwhelming number of educators are on the political left. You and your fellows are so busy teaching about the evils of particular skin colors that you have failed an entire generation. It would be one thing if it were only space and the Holocaust, but it is basic reading and math as well.

Last edited:
The problem isn’t anti-intellectualism but willful incompetence among educators and administrators. Not knowing basic facts that should be taught in school is a failure of schools, and if you really want to point political fingers, the overwhelming number of educators are on the political left. You and your fellows are so busy teaching about the evils of particular skin colors that you have failed an entire generation. It would be one thing if it were only space and the Holocaust, but it is basic reading and math as well.
This has already been addressed in another thread about public education. You demonstrated a poor level of understanding about public education. You couldn’t even specify which assessment(s) Utah uses and some of the key stipulations that might impact assessment results. Instead, you paint with broad brush using your Facebook talking pts. So if you feel like finally responding to those pts like an adult, please do so in the appropriate thread.

Last edited:
you paint with broad brush using your Facebook talking pts.
They aren't my talking points. You posted an article pointing out how dumb young Americans were and Sardines backed that up by agreeing that young Americans were dumb. All I did was point out that if young Americans are dumb then that is an indictment of America's educators. The laughable response was to claim I look down on dumb people, that it is fine if American educators are failing a generation because dumb people are people too. Those are not mutually exclusive. Agreed that dumb people are people. Now lets talk about your point, and Sardine's point of young Americans coming out of our public education system with an unfortunate ineptness.

Educators and administrators are failing to educate America's youth.

You think it is acceptable for 16 year olds to not know we've been to space or that the Holocaust happened? As for the rest of your misdirection, The Thriller's article specifically said they were "young Americans". It is a giant fail for so many young Americans to not know very basic things. Specifically it is a failure of the education system that we spend billions of dollars funding.
I have nothing to do with you and Thriller beefing.

Society-wide, anti-intellectualism is a problem, and can be seen as a natural result of the trend toward distrusting authority, sources of authority, distrusting sources of “received wisdom” in so many areas, distrust of received wisdom in history, in science, etc. The realm of “alternative facts” and conspiracy theories to explain why “the truth is being hidden” is just a part of the world we live in in 2023. Probably not conducive to critical thinking skills, and I’m not saying our educators are doing the best job imaginable. Just saying that the forces drawing people away from rational thought are probably not the best development in our history.

The late American historian Daniel Boorstin, was of the opinion that America grew as a series of frontier settlements, ever moving westward over the centuries. And the thing about frontiers, intellectuals don’t provide useful skills in that setting, so there was an anti-intellectual bias somewhat built into our growth through time as a nation and society.

Anyway, it’s an interesting subject, in and of itself, maybe no more than now, in an era of alternate facts and fiction-based “realities”.

As science fiction writer Isaac Asimovwrote in the 1980s:

“The strain of anti-intellectualism has been...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

I have nothing to do with you and Thriller beefing.
This is a beef between a taxpaying parent and a representative of the total failure that is public education. Below is a chart showing proficiency of 3rd through 8th graders. It is very hard to find a point in the Utah state numbers where even half of students meet basic proficiency. In sixth grade, that number failed to meet even one out of three kids. We have in this forum a representative of that system during that time, who has spent hours and hours during the work day posting on an internet board after spending hours and hours scrolling his social media to find material to post on the internet board. That representative just posted an article along with his own commentary to essentially say "ha ha, young Americans are dumb".

washington-county-rise-results-math.jpg

I haven’t worked in the K-12 system for years. You know this and yet continue to try and bash me and it. It’s already been explained to you some of the issues with those assessments and how they affect the reliability of those scores. You know this and continue to repeat your same talking pts. You don’t try and understand or learn from anyone. You just try and stir the pot

Talking to you is worthless.

It is a giant fail for so many young Americans to not know very basic things. Specifically it is a failure of the education system that we spend billions of dollars funding.
Is it your claim that these students were never taught about the Holocaust, or the moon landing? I'm pretty sure if you examined their curricula, you find these topics mentioned. People tend to believe what they want.

I'm pretty sure if you examined their curricula, you find these topics mentioned.
Two-thirds of Utah's sixth graders failed to meet basic proficiency in math. It isn't because they believe alternate facts but because the kids don't know the answer. It is a systemic failure to educate. Claims of alternate facts and issues with those assessment affecting the reliability of the scores are just excuses. America's youth aren't receiving a level of education anywhere near what they should be receiving given the incredible amount of money being poured into that system from both taxpayers and the students themselves taking on crippling debt. No nation on Earth charges as much per student. They should be better served. It was just galling to have The Thriller laugh at the product of his own work.

Society-wide, anti-intellectualism is a problem, and can be seen as a natural result of the trend toward distrusting authority, sources of authority, distrusting sources of “received wisdom” in so many areas, distrust of received wisdom in history, in science, etc. The realm of “alternative facts” and conspiracy theories to explain why “the truth is being hidden” is just a part of the world we live in in 2023. Probably not conducive to critical thinking skills, and I’m not saying our educators are doing the best job imaginable. Just saying that the forces drawing people away from rational thought are probably not the best development in our history.

The late American historian Daniel Boorstin, was of the opinion that America grew as a series of frontier settlements, ever moving westward over the centuries. And the thing about frontiers, intellectuals don’t provide useful skills in that setting, so there was an anti-intellectual bias somewhat built into our growth through time as a nation and society.

Anyway, it’s an interesting subject, in and of itself, maybe no more than now, in an era of alternate facts and fiction-based “realities”.

As science fiction writer Isaac Asimovwrote in the 1980s:
Good post.

This isn’t new either. The paranoid style of American politics came out decades ago. Qanon is just recycled red bait conspiracy mixed with anti-semitism that we’ve seen every few decades for over 100 years.

Some of the biggest rubes both on this site and in society still think Trump won in 2020, Qanon is real, and that there’s a global conspiracy to traffic children. Many of the staunchest adherents to the dumbest conspiracies in America are Boomers (educated in the supposed golden age of education. Right? Isn’t that the time that Trump wants to return us to, When America was great?)

Last edited:
It is a systemic failure to educate.
The US has 14-15 of the top 20 colleges in the world, and it's university system overall is expensive but top-notch. You don't get a top-notch university system with uneducated students. I think its your evaluation criteria that is failing.

Don’t get me mixed in with this troll. This moron tries to beef with everyone here. He’s a sad bored person who gets his entertainment from stirring the pot.
My bad. I wasn't trying to "both sides" you two. I was just saying that I didn't want AI-O-Meter to use my posts as if they were in support of his criticisms against you, because I didn't intend them that way and I don't think they actually made the point he was trying to push.

My bad. I wasn't trying to "both sides" you two. I was just saying that I didn't want AI-O-Meter to use my posts as if they were in support of his criticisms against you, because I didn't intend them that way and I don't think they actually made the point he was trying to push.
Understood.

Thank you.

He likes to distort what others say to personally attack those he’s trying to troll. Then he’ll ignore honest attempts to correct distortions (since most of us assume he’s made a mistake or misunderstood, not purposely distorted or lied). It’s best to just ignore him.