What's new

Utah vs. Boise in Las Vegas Bowl

Langi had multiple problems with Marijuana in high school.

That's why BYU didn't recruit him. That's also probably why he didn't consider BYU, Honor Code issues.

So this is a complete non-issue. Anyone trying to make this one is a complete and utter dumbass. Which is exactly why I'm not surprised Salty is spouting off about it. Anyone with problems with weed isn't going to last long at BYU.

Besides, BYU has plenty of RBs already. They need to recruit safeties, DBs, and receivers in the worst way.

It should be noted that BYU dropped their scholarship offer when Langi had his first run in with the law.

He then had a second violation that resulted in him missing Bingham's first playoff game.

If this doesn't concern Ute fans I don't know what will. The kid is a talent, but his HS coach couldn't wait to get rid of him and the kid has already had multiple run ins with the law already. Goodluck babysitting this kid. Since things worked so well for Zeke Wiley....

Utah signs the top in state recruit and you think we have to "find some way to make Utah look good here" or spin it in some way? And you yourself admitted that BYU was interested (and every media outlet also reported it, but we didn't need to read it as BYU would obviously be interested in the top in state recruit) so what is there to spin?
Exactly! Don't know why you guys are even running your mouths. Jimmer says hi!

Thriller Wrote:

That's why BYU didn't recruit him.

Well that's a flat-out lie. The issue was never whether BYU recruited him or not (Even Conan admits BYU recruited him at some point).

Anyone trying to make this one is a complete and utter dumbass.

Says the guy who started out his post with a remark that is 100% false.

Anyone with problems with weed isn't going to last long at BYU.

This we agree on.

Besides, BYU has plenty of RBs already. They need to recruit safeties, DBs, and receivers in the worst way.

They always need to recruit Safeties, DB's and WR's in the worst way.

And for the record, even if it were the case that the only reason Utah got Langi was because BYU wasn't interested, that's fine. I'll still take it. I don't really care how he ended up at Utah, I'm just glad he's there. If he doesn't work out, that's ok too. I think his talent is at least worth the initial risk. Whit manages to do a pretty good job with players who would have a hard time living up to the honor code at BYU.

I find it amusing as hell to see a couple of BYU fans tripping over themselves in an effort to make sure people know that BYU DIDN'T WANT LANGI. You act as if the worst thing that could ever happen is losing a 4-Star recruit to Utah. The funny thing is, I never said BYU flat-out lost Langi to Utah (although I think Salty did). The uproar coming from 2 Cougar fans is hilarious. But hey, you guys NEVER wanted him so It's all good. You guys are getting spun-up way too easily.

Thriller Wrote:

Well that's a flat-out lie. The issue was never whether BYU recruited him or not (Even Conan admits BYU recruited him at some point).

Says the guy who started out his post with a remark that is 100% false.

This we agree on.

They always need to recruit Safeties, DB's and WR's in the worst way.

And for the record, even if it were the case that the only reason Utah got Langi was because BYU wasn't interested, that's fine. I'll still take it. I don't really care how he ended up at Utah, I'm just glad he's there. If he doesn't work out, that's ok too. I think his talent is at least worth the initial risk. Whit manages to do a pretty good job with players who would have a hard time living up to the honor code at BYU.

I find it amusing as hell to see a couple of BYU fans tripping over themselves in an effort to make sure people know that BYU DIDN'T WANT LANGI. You act as if the worst thing that could ever happen is losing a 4-Star recruit to Utah. The funny thing is, I never said BYU flat-out lost Langi to Utah (although I think Salty did). The uproar coming from 2 Cougar fans is hilarious. But hey, you guys NEVER wanted him so It's all good. You guys are getting spun-up way too easily.

BYU DIDN'T WANT LANGI!!! THEY DROPPED HIS SCHOLARSHIP OFFER NEARLY 6 MONTHS AGO!!!

IS IT REALLY THIS DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND? FOR ****ING SAKES MAN, HOW DUMB ARE YOU PEOPLE?

The dude was busted for weed back before the HS Football season even started. That ended his potential career at BYU. They withdrew their scholarship offer.

that's it!

Had he not ever had any problems in HS and had chosen another school then that would be completely different issue. But this one is different, since BYU withdrew their offer as soon as Langi displayed those weed problems.

Jeez people, why are Ute homers making such a big deal of this?

It's incredible to me how desperate Ute fans are to help boost themselves. Their Basketball team is an embarrassment as was their bowl game. Their Football team is headed in the opposite direction they wanted with no help offensively on the horizon.

So they have to make an issue of this?

Incredible.

Just take your beat downs with class, that's all I ask. Be fair and honest.

Utes got a very talented RB. Whether he'll be a blessing or a curse I'm not sure. He was a complete headache at Bingham. We'll see if he's a cancer to your team. Zeke Wiley was a talented linemen who completely bombed out.

As I understand it, Langi wasn't busted for weed. He was at a party (or with some people) and weed was found at the location. Langi later passed a drug test.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk.

As I understand it, Langi wasn't busted for weed. He was at a party (or with some people) and weed was found at the location. Langi later passed a drug test.

I passed every drug test I ever had to take. I was smoking pot 5 times a day through every single one of those tests. They can be beaten so easily it's almost pathetic.

I passed every drug test I ever had to take. I was smoking pot 5 times a day through every single one of those tests. They can be beaten so easily it's almost pathetic.
I'm not going to lie, I know the tests were pretty easy to beat back in the day.

But the tests evolved with time and some of them are impossible to beat unless you're clean these days. It's not just pissing in a cup anymore.

Having said that, I have no idea what kind of test they gave him.

As usual we got people talking out their *** in here. Langi may have passed the test but what is interesting is he admitted to smoking weed. He didn't change his story til after he passed the test.

This is just the tip of the iceberg fellas. You wanna believe he's a good character you go right ahead.

As usual we got people talking out their *** in here. Langi may have passed the test but what is interesting is he admitted to smoking weed. He didn't change his story til after he passed the test.

This is just the tip of the iceberg fellas. You wanna believe he's a good character you go right ahead.
Not saying he's a role model or anything. Just pointing out that he did not actually get caught smoking weed and did pass the drug test.

Did he really admit to smoking weed? I never heard that. I read that he denied it and that is why he was tested.

Not saying he's a role model or anything. Just pointing out that he did not actually get caught smoking weed and did pass the drug test.

Did he really admit to smoking weed? I never heard that. I read that he denied it and that is why he was tested.

As usual you are free to believe whatever you want. I'm just telling you what I know. Lol at "not saying he's a role model". Dude, this guy is like the complete opposite of a role model. You guys are trying to sweep the weed thing under the rug here. Langi's issues with drugs are the least of his problems. He's way past the kids-r-kids philosophy.

I don't think it's about believing he's a good character guy, it's certainly obvious that the kid has brought some troubles on himself. I think the issue at hand is whether or not he's a bad enough charachter to not want in your program. He's made some mistakes in High School. Is that going to carry over and ruin his college career? The truth is, none of us know (even if some of us in here think we do).

He'll get a chance to prove himself at Utah and if he walks the line, there's nothing but plenty of playing time in his future. If he screws up, then Utah moves no to the next guy. While getting Langi is good for Utah, they're certainly not putting all of their eggs in the Langi basket when it comes to recruiting some fresh blood at RB. As hard as BYU tries to recruit "good guys" who are going to comply with the Honor Code, they still have washouts. It happens.

And maybe Bingham's coach couldn't wait to see Langi gone, but I'm not really buying that. For the last two years all I saw was Langi running up and down opponents for the most dominant High School program in Utah. Considering Bingham can pick and choose from the best players along the Wasatch Front, I find it hard to belive Langi couldn't have been easily replaced if he was such a headache. Those "in the know" can insinuate that the Bingham coach wanted him gone, but the results would dictate otherwise. Just sayin.

And Trout was a pothead? Woah!

If he pans out he'll probably start all 4 years at Utah and will be one of the top RBs in the PAC.

However, his past creates a lot of doubt in my mind about what type of person he truly is.

And with Bingham's talent last year they easily could have won the title without him. That was one incredible team. I can only think of Timpview's 05-08 teams that could have matched them talent wise. No surprise here, that team featured people like Luke Ashworth, Reynolds, Harvey Unga, X Sua-Filo (started left tackle as a freshmen at UCLA), Stephen Paea (Oregon St. defensivelinemen soon will be making a lot of money in the league), Quin Mecham (Kansas QB), and a host of other players distributed out amongst JCs.

But it's completely unfair to use this example as a way to judge whether who's winning the in-state recruitment battle.

Whether or not he was actually ever high or cheated on the test doesn't matter in BYU's eyes. They're not going to recruit a kid with that type of reputation.

Also, I'd like to add that he was caught a 2nd time using weed. If it was some fabrication, like just being present at a party, then why did his coach suspend him?

BYU wasn't going to touch that, no matter his talent level.

Utah did. Congrats to them. Hopefully it pans out and doesn't blow up in their faces.

This is true but what surprises me is how we've got some Ute fans just flat out lying in here. I mean that's pretty low even for Ute fan.

Without doctoring a quote (something you're famous for), show me one instance where I have lied (I'll let Salty stick up for himself on that one).

Thriller Wrote:
If he pans out he'll probably start all 4 years at Utah and will be one of the top RBs in the PAC.

My thoughts exactly.

However, his past creates a lot of doubt in my mind about what type of person he truly is.

While I realize his issues make him less likely to succeed, I have a hard time judging a 17-18 year old kid who may have made a few bad decisions. Granted, that's no guarantee he'll pan out, but I see no harm in giving him a shot.

And with Bingham's talent last year they easily could have won the title without him. That was one incredible team. I can only think of Timpview's 05-08 teams

Exactly my argument when I hear people say that his coach felt as if he wasn't worth the headache. You have a team that could easily win without him. Why put up with it?

Exactly my argument when I hear people say that his coach felt as if he wasn't worth the headache. You have a team that could easily win without him. Why put up with it?

Because the backlash of not winning without him wouldn't have been good. The coach wanted to win, why jeopardize your chances? Beck has been given a lot of crap for not building a dynasty in 5a with the kind of talent he's had.

Just because the coach didn't kick him off the team doesn't mean he hasn't a huge headache. Keep in mind he was suspended for his shenanigans.
If you don't think getting busted for weed while playing for the Utes won't be a bigger deal than when he was 17 and playing for the Miners you've got another thing coming to you.

Also, I see you failed to address the main topic, that there's ALL OF A SUDDEN a wave of new recruits fleeing BYU to join the Utes. LOL. You kinda dropped that argument as soon as facts came into this discussion. That's understandable.

Goodluck Utes! Hope it pans out.

I don't think it's about believing he's a good character guy, it's certainly obvious that the kid has brought some troubles on himself. I think the issue at hand is whether or not he's a bad enough charachter to not want in your program. He's made some mistakes in High School. Is that going to carry over and ruin his college career? The truth is, none of us know (even if some of us in here think we do).

He'll get a chance to prove himself at Utah and if he walks the line, there's nothing but plenty of playing time in his future. If he screws up, then Utah moves no to the next guy. While getting Langi is good for Utah, they're certainly not putting all of their eggs in the Langi basket when it comes to recruiting some fresh blood at RB. As hard as BYU tries to recruit "good guys" who are going to comply with the Honor Code, they still have washouts. It happens.

And maybe Bingham's coach couldn't wait to see Langi gone, but I'm not really buying that. For the last two years all I saw was Langi running up and down opponents for the most dominant High School program in Utah. Considering Bingham can pick and choose from the best players along the Wasatch Front, I find it hard to belive Langi couldn't have been easily replaced if he was such a headache. Those "in the know" can insinuate that the Bingham coach wanted him gone, but the results would dictate otherwise. Just sayin.

And Trout was a pothead? Woah!

Your knowledge on HS athletic of lack thereof, is really showing here.