What's new

Voter Suppression and Why The Republicans Love It So Much?

Of course

What is most amazing to be about this is that people used to do this by hand. Now you can just have a computer model and optimize the districts, but once upon a time you needed an actual person who could do this in their heads. If going by how hard it is for me to now remember anyone's phone number because my phone just does it for me, I'm thinking those people are long gone.

5 years? I mean if you conspired to commit voter fraud and then carried it out premeditatively and cast multiple fraudulent votes and had some sort of criminal history I could see 5 years.

That's not some sort of casual sentence. That is absolutely life altering. I knew a guy who killed his sister and he got out in 5 years.

5 years? I mean if you conspired to commit voter fraud and then carried it out premeditatively and cast multiple fraudulent votes and had some sort of criminal history I could see 5 years.

That's not some sort of casual sentence. That is absolutely life altering. I knew a guy who killed his sister and he got out in 5 years.
Texas

Sent from my SM-G986U using JazzFanz mobile app

... and had some sort of criminal history I could see 5 years.
You did catch the part about her being on "supervised release" parole, right? The 5 years was for violating the conditions of her parole.
liar-liar-jim-carrey.gif

You did catch the part about her being on "supervised release" parole, right? The 5 years was for violating the conditions of her parole.
liar-liar-jim-carrey.gif
Nope, I reacted to the posted tweet. There was no mention of her prior criminal history or being on parole.

@Thriller, did you know that info when posting the Tweet? If you did it's pretty misleading.

So, what was her previous crime? Tell me it is for a trivial amount of drug possession and that brings up an entirely different conversation.

Nope, I reacted to the posted tweet. There was no mention of her prior criminal history or being on parole.

@Thriller, did you know that info when posting the Tweet? If you did it's pretty misleading.

So, what was her previous crime? Tell me it is for a trivial amount of drug possession and that brings up an entirely different conversation.
I don't know what the previous crime was but the tweet specifically mentioned that she was on supervised release. That is the term they use for parole now.

Last edited:
I don't know what the previous crime was but the tweet specifically mentioned that she was on supervised release. That is the term they use for parole now.
Oh. I just read the tweet again....

So it does mention that she was on supervised release (I obviously didn't pay enough attention when I read it the first time) and I imagine that's why she was ineligible to vote, which she should have been aware of.

She wasn’t aware of the parole issue. Many states have recently passed by ballot measure forgiveness for felons. I’ve read that many red states are making it difficult to know whether they are truly eligible to vote or not. I do not know what her prior offenses were nor do I find them relevant.

She believed she could vote (why would she knowingly violate her parole to vote) and did so and got slammed. The other (white) guy knew what he was doing was wrong and got a tap on the wrist.

It’s just another case of systemic racism in our country. Republicans don’t want minorities to vote because they assume that they’ll vote for democrats.

She wasn’t aware of the parole issue. Many states have recently passed by ballot measure forgiveness for felons. I’ve read that many red states are making it difficult to know whether they are truly eligible to vote or not. I do not know what her prior offenses were nor do I find them relevant.

She believed she could vote (why would she knowingly violate her parole to vote) and did so and got slammed. The other (white) guy knew what he was doing was wrong and got a tap on the wrist.

It’s just another case of systemic racism in our country. Republicans don’t want minorities to vote because they assume that they’ll vote for democrats.
Yeah, but I assume MOST voter fraud cases that are relatively minor and small scale get treated a lot like that guy's situation was.

It sounds like her sentence is not based on her voter fraud, it is a pre-existing sentence that has been suspended as long as she complies with her parole requirements. So it's misleading.

Yeah, but I assume MOST voter fraud cases that are relatively minor and small scale get treated a lot like that guy's situation was.

It sounds like her sentence is not based on her voter fraud, it is a pre-existing sentence that has been suspended as long as she complies with her parole requirements. So it's misleading.
True. I see your point.

True. I see your point.
But that is why I brought up the low-level drug conviction possibility.

It's a completely different conversation, but in poor minority communities these small drug crimes are charged far more frequently. The police look for them more, they arrest based on them more and the prosecutor goes ahead with charges more. This is not exactly the same but is part of the concept of the "preschool to prison pipeline" where criminal records are established on poor and minorities so that later if they have any sort of more serious offense, first the investigating police see that, the prosecutor sees that and often the jury is informed of that, so they either get mandatory minimums or simply just get sentenced more severely than middle-class people.

The abuse that liberal women who are also POC take is just amazing.

Such a weirdo. A person is running towards an elevator because they want to make it on the elevator before the door closes. She makes that into some dramatic affair for some stupid reason, then throws out some racist comments and her supporters just eat it up.
Also, she must be quite dumb since she presumably works in buildings where elevators are used but doesnt know how elevators work. She is like “i cant stop the doors from closing”. Uhhh, yes you can. There is literally a button that does that.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Such a weirdo. A person is running towards an elevator because they want to make it on the elevator before the door closes. She makes that into some dramatic affair for some stupid reason, then throws out some racist comments and her supporters just eat it up.
Also, she must be quite dumb since she presumably works in buildings where elevators are used but doesnt know how elevators work. She is like “i cant stop the doors from closing”. Uhhh, yes you can. There is literally a button that does that.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Also she's wearing jeans with stilettos. Like what's that about?

And yet… will the media have stories claiming that Boebert’s bigotry might cost the GOP chances to win the midterms like we are almost daily about Biden, Manchin, AOC, Omar, Defund the police, CRT, etc? Probably not.

That’s infuriating to me. Republicans have no bottom. No matter how awful they are, the media will never make it hurt. While Dems, no matter what they accomplish, will never be given credit. They can only be blamed.

It’s sad how this has become a game.