What's new

We Got Swindled by Sexton (And Eddie Zero Sucks)

Rarely have I seen a guy with so much gear grinding going on in his head when he tries to play point guard. It's almost comical.

Sexton may be a wonderful person who lives and breathes basketball, but by God... this man is not meant to be a PG in the NBA.
I used to get the same criticism in my youth, because I knew the plays and set better than my teammates, I am or was anyway a perfectionist, and expected everyone to get to their spots and be on my level mentally, so when they didn't I was left pounding the air out of the ball, until I just decided to score myself or someone would kick out on my drive. Sexton is definitely "looking" like he is a deer on the spot light , but he has looked like that his entire career even when he is waiting for the ball. I wouldn't read into the way you are without a grain of salt added. Noone will ever criticize him for being too loose thats for sure, and he could stand to take more risks.

JC very much had the same stuff going on and has made changes. He will never be a pure point guard and if he is the best passer on the floor then just clear out and let him work... cuz it could be ugly. He plays hard as hell and works his *** off... I'll bet on that guy. Even if he just becomes the super bench scorer that's cool... its a thing we need.
Yeah I am not in agreement he cannot be good enough in the modern nba to play the 1 for this team. if they go a route where they want a pure pass first non scorer and crawl back to the days when that archtype survives I would be shocked. I would rather have a 6'5 pg like Melo or a savvy swivel head net negative defender like Trae , but i would rather roll with someone like Bull and use my draft picks on a sf or modern 5 first.

So he might end up in Clarkson's old role as 6th man. That's how he's being paid. Is that such a bad thing..Love JC especially when he would come in and do his thing on those Rudy teams. If Jazz want to experiment and try him at PG what's the problem especially in a rebuild year. It might look real ugly but they can try THT, NAW, JC or anybody else in a playmaking role this season as Conley can't play 48 minutes. Actually it seems like Oynyk has been the secondary playmaker on the starting unit.

People are so weird.

So he might end up in Clarkson's old role as 6th man. That's how he's being paid. Is that such a bad thing..Love JC especially when he would come in and do his thing on those Rudy teams. If Jazz want to experiment and try him at PG what's the problem especially in a rebuild year. It might look real ugly but they can try THT, NAW, JC or anybody else in a playmaking role this season as Conley can't play 48 minutes. Actually it seems like Oynyk has been the secondary playmaker on the starting unit.

People are so weird.
I agree that it makes sense to let Sexton try to figure out the PG position. After all, he's too small to defend NBA 2's anyway. (He might also be too small to defend 1's effectively, but I digress)

It's just that he's looked really bad as a playmaker so far. Sexton has 100% scorer instincts and he looks like he wants to go 1 on 3 every time he has the ball at the perimeter. He's trying to rein himself in – which he should, as there's usually more efficient scoring options available.

I dunno about this guy. To me, Sexton is unwatchable at the 1, no matter how many lessons he takes from Mike, and much too small to start at the 2. He plays out of control, seems to have very hard hands for a guard, and spends way too much time under the basket at 6'0''.

As I said above, I kinda understand they're trying to make a PG out of him because they just gave him the bag and his trade value is nonexistent around the league... so IF you want to feature him in the starting lineup at some point in the future, he just has to be a point guard.

However, I see him as an occasional sparkplug scorer off the bench and nothing more. Even someone like Clarkson is on another level as a playmaker. Letting Sexton get exposed at PG time and time again is only going to destroy whatever is left of his trade value down the line.

I appreciate his obvious enthusiasm and love for the game, and he's a great cheerleader out there, but I don't want to see him handle the ball as much as he did against Dallas and take 16 shots per game. He simply has zero feel. When you're that small, you can't always "see" the passing lanes in half court, but then you have to compensate by creating those lanes with your own movement. That is something Conley excels at and something Sexton doesn't have any idea about.

Yes, he would be a fantastic tank commander, but I thought we weren't doing that.

People are so weird.
Yes, overpaying a 6'1 guard is a bad thing

Sexton reminds me of a more talented Sundiata Gaines.

Remember him?

95786916.jpg.0.jpg

Dude could be doing a bit better, but he's playing only 20 min a night and is doing adequate in adjusting to a new system and coming off an injury. 17.7 avg per on the contract is not bad, given future cap raises and such.
Who? Sexton is averaging 13 ppg.

But Sexton is averaging the second most points per 100 possessions per game at 30.4 just behind Lauri at 30.7 and also shooting the best % of anyone not a center or 7' Tall. He is also getting to the FT line at a much better rate than anyone on the team. I think things are pretty promising for him so far and he is still very young and adjusting/recovering from injury.

I dunno about this guy. To me, Sexton is unwatchable at the 1, no matter how many lessons he takes from Mike, and much too small to start at the 2. He plays out of control, seems to have very hard hands for a guard, and spends way too much time under the basket at 6'0''.

As I said above, I kinda understand they're trying to make a PG out of him because they just gave him the bag and his trade value is nonexistent around the league... so IF you want to feature him in the starting lineup at some point in the future, he just has to be a point guard.

However, I see him as an occasional sparkplug scorer off the bench and nothing more. Even someone like Clarkson is on another level as a playmaker. Letting Sexton get exposed at PG time and time again is only going to destroy whatever is left of his trade value down the line.

I appreciate his obvious enthusiasm and love for the game, and he's a great cheerleader out there, but I don't want to see him handle the ball as much as he did against Dallas and take 16 shots per game. He simply has zero feel. When you're that small, you can't always "see" the passing lanes in half court, but then you have to compensate by creating those lanes with your own movement. That is something Conley excels at and something Sexton doesn't have any idea about.

Yes, he would be a fantastic tank commander, but I thought we weren't doing that.
HOW TALL WAS STOCKTON, HE SEEMED TO BE ABLE TO SEE THE FLOOR PRETTY WELL.

Sexton hasn't been good, but he's been ok. His poor decision making has been offset by his ability to get to the free throw line.

I'm going to keep being patient with him this year as he continues to try and expand his game.

HOW TALL WAS STOCKTON, HE SEEMED TO BE ABLE TO SEE THE FLOOR PRETTY WELL.
Stockton wasn't human, he was an alien-human hybrid or something with gigantic hands and the ability to see through tall people's pelvises.

It’s been 8 games, and he’s only getting 20 min. He gets 4 freaking ft’s in those 20 minutes. I like him being aggressive

But Sexton is averaging the second most points per 100 possessions per game at 30.4 just behind Lauri at 30.7 and also shooting the best % of anyone not a center or 7' Tall. He is also getting to the FT line at a much better rate than anyone on the team. I think things are pretty promising for him so far and he is still very young and adjusting/recovering from injury.
Promising for his trade value hopefully

It took Clarkson until this season to figure out how to be a playmaker.

For some reason you had to grave dig this thread 2 times and did the same thing with the Agbaji thread too.

Sexton needs a lot of coaching. How to play positional defense, how to read defense, play better help defense etc. He can shoot pretty well, can get to the hole, but needs to expand his game. He has great drive and desire, he just needs to get direction to use that drive and energy in a smart matter. Similarly. Vando needs to learn to play smarter defense. Great motor, but makes silly fouls that keep him out of the game.

Yep.
Dude is young, coming off an injury, playing a new role with lesser minutes with new teammates and a new coach on a tank team.

Patience is the order of the day for all our players.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

SEXTON WILL BE FINE, KID HAS BEEN GETTING HIS WHEELS UNDER HIM, GAME WILL SLOW DOWN FOR HIM,HE WILL HIT HIS STRIDE, WE DIDNT GET SWINDLED WE GOT A BARGAIN.
Agreed.

Lauri has already increased his potential trade value around the league. Sexton will eventually do the same. Danny knows what he's doing. All these incoming guys are on bargain contracts except for potentially THT who is going to pick up that option next summer if he doesn't play better.

Sexton's best game was the one he started against Memphis. He's had alot stacked up against him this season with a new role coming off the bench, recovering from a major surgery, new team, etc.