What's new

"We're going to war, bro."

Sounds like the last 24* hours has been much ado about nothing. The missiles weren’t intended to hit us. We knew in advance they were coming.

Sounds like Iran wants to look like they hit us to appease their people without actually hitting us.

I think there's more to this.
  • I think Iran showed that they have cruise missiles and are no longer scared to use them (because we escalated this situation to such a degree). I can't remember any time recently where an enemy has used cruise missiles against us. New era in warfare?
  • However, even then, their measured response for them to show strength while giving the Trump administration an exit ramp. So well played Iranian leadership! Glad to see at least one side has adults in the room. Trump nearly bumbled himself into war.
  • Hezbollah reported that they wouldn't attack any cultural sites. When a terrorist organization looks better than your country's leadership, you know it's bad...
  • I think Iraq now has even more reason to kick us out. They don't want other countries shooting cruise missiles into their country in attempts to get at American forces.
  • Finally, America continues to look like a dysfunctional nation completely unprepared for war. We continuously alienate our allies. We are led by a child and his party will stand by him no matter the cost. Why wouldn't Russia, Iran, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Syria, and China push the bounds of what's acceptable?

I'm gonna declare a win for Trump as it stands right now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Iran established deterrence. They completely won this staredown by showing force while giving Donald a much needed exit ramp. A world war on the eve of his re-election would've been disastrous. Bigly.

So thankfully, the United States after last night backed off. And thank goodness for that. This country with all of its dysfunction, debt, and lack of leadership isn't ready for war. Hell, it's hasn't been this ill-prepared in decades. Maybe ever!

What did he win exactly?

I swear Trump gets graded on a curve more than any president in history.
Well, let me talley up the score.
Trump (US) killed a high ranking official who by all accounts was a horrible person.
Iran wasted some ammo and killed no one.

By my count that means Trump (and the US) were the winners in that small conflict. (The fact that the conflict was so small is also a win.... For both sides.)

Iran established deterrence. They completely won this staredown by showing force while giving Donald a much needed exit ramp. A world war on the eve of his re-election would've been disastrous. Bigly.

So thankfully, the United States after last night backed off. And thank goodness for that. This country with all of its dysfunction, debt, and lack of leadership isn't ready for war. Hell, it's hasn't been this ill-prepared in decades. Maybe ever!

We won that conflict.

Well, let me talley up the score.
Trump (US) killed a high ranking official who by all accounts was a horrible person.
Iran wasted some ammo and killed no one.

By my count that means Trump (and the US) were the winners in that small conflict. (The fact that the conflict was so small is also a win.... For both sides.)

This analysis assumes that the conflict was inevitable. It wasn't.

What does the impact of killing Soleimani have on Iran's internal politics going forward? Does it give more credibility to hardliners in the government? What about moderate Iranians, surely even they can't be happy with the United States assassinating a government official. What is the Iraqi govt supposed to think about all this? They lost one of their own after all, at our hands. If I were them I'd say Iran showed a hell of a lot more restraint than we did. How is this going to affect the relationship going forward?

Tensions have eased, for the moment, but this whole thing is far from over.

"The 600 mostly young soldiers at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, were headed for the Middle East, part of a group of some 3,500 U.S. paratroopers ordered to the region. Kuwait is the first stop for many. Their final destinations are classified.

"We're going to war, bro," one cheered, holding two thumbs up and sporting a grin under close-shorn red hair. He stood among dozens of soldiers loading trucks outside a cinder block building housing several auditoriums with long benches and tables."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/w...loys-to-the-middle-east/ar-BBYHjjo?li=BBnb7Kz

We're not going to war, bro. Rest easy, everything is okay.

This analysis assumes that the conflict was inevitable. It wasn't.

What does the impact of killing Soleimani have on Iran's internal politics going forward? Does it give more credibility to hardliners in the government? What about moderate Iranians, surely even they can't be happy with the United States assassinating a government official. What is the Iraqi govt supposed to think about all this? They lost one of their own after all, at our hands. If I were them I'd say Iran showed a hell of a lot more restraint than we did. How is this going to affect the relationship going forward?

Tensions have eased, for the moment, but this whole thing is far from over.

Exactly. Think we take out Soleimani if Iran has a nuke? Doubt it. So we just incentivized them to develop a nuke ASAP. Clearly, we’re not even attempting diplomacy anymore.

also, the United states threatening another country with war crimes? Not a good look. Not exactly a great look for democracy.

Exactly. Think we take out Soleimani if Iran has a nuke? Doubt it. So we just incentivized them to develop a nuke ASAP. Clearly, we’re not even attempting diplomacy anymore.

also, the United states threatening another country with war crimes? Not a good look. Not exactly a great look for democracy.
Meanwhile the JCPOA goes up in flames.

If all this had happened under Obama nobody would be calling it a "win".

Meanwhile the JCPOA goes up in flames.

If all this had happened under Obama nobody would be calling it a "win".

well I think That’s because of something you said earlier. you hit the nail on the head. Child trump is graded on a curve. He’s being given credit for things that no other President would’ve been given credit for.

Because he’s so awful we’re now giving him credit for not starting WWIII and not appearing on tv naked.

but Iran has never been so incentivized to develop a nuke and we look like a crazy regime. We threatened another country with war crimes. Why would any Developing country want to emulate us?

I felt safer with Soleimani still alive but Iran abiding by the nuclear deal than with Soleimani dead and America voiding the nuclear deal.
But also, when exactly did Soleimani become this horrible terrorist, who took sides with the US when fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan?

But also, when exactly did Soleimani become this horrible terrorist, who took sides with the US when fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan?

He's absolutely a terrorist and one with the complete backing of Iran. Do some research. The world is better off without him. Just because most people don't know who he really was does not change who the man was or what he did to people.

He's absolutely a terrorist and one with the complete backing of Iran. Do some research. The world is better off without him. Just because most people don't know who he really was does not change who the man was or what he did to people.
Couldn’t an Iraqi think the same about W?
Who’s gotten away with not a small number of war crimes?

FWIW. I think his role as an adversary of the US has warped our view of him somewhat as a uniquely evil man
IMG_20200108_130457.jpg