What's new

What does Dante get in Free Agency?

I could swear that you gave this sort of an ultimatum about your fandom regarding a previous issue, and I don't think it went your way, but you didn't go away. I don't want you to go away, you make some interesting points from time to time, but this sure is an odd little game you play.

If the Jazz refuse to pay Dante the market rate and he walks I will have to assume it's because someone from the front office read your post and decided the organization could risk losing you as a fan.

I'm pretty sure he made a thread asking us which team he should switch to.

Long-term, do you think that Rubio would be willing to come off the bench? He seems like a perfect long-term 6th man/spark guy. I think Dante is the long-term answer.

if you say so .. whatever. Point is they're not going to bring someone back based on him being chummy with another player

The Jazz literally just did that for Hayward last offseason with Ingles. Obviously the Jazz liked Ingles, but they made a point to resign him quickly for Hayward. Obviously Mitchell isn't a FA, but the FO obviously loves Dante and Mitchell having chemistry with him makes this one pretty obvious.

The Jazz literally just did that for Hayward last offseason with Ingles. Obviously the Jazz liked Ingles, but they made a point to resign him quickly for Hayward. Obviously Mitchell isn't a FA, but the FO obviously loves Dante and Mitchell having chemistry with him makes this one pretty obvious.
Actually, I think it’s pretty clear that they brought back Ingles because he’s a damn good basketball player and a guy who could legitimately start for many (if not most) teams. Keeping or adding key vets like Jingles and Ricky might’ve been part of the pitch to keep Hayward, but they are on the Jazz because DL wanted them in Utah.

if you say so .. whatever. Point is they're not going to bring someone back based on him being chummy with another player

I agree. I thought this article was more interesting just to see how invested Dante is with the team and Donovan still. That's a good sign as to where his head is at. I remember Locke or somebody else mentioning how much more invested he seemed as opposed to Rodney who was in the middle of transitioning out of town for a good part of this season.

Ingles was coming back regardless. Had Lindsey made a decision based upon what he thought Hayward wanted, Jazz would have given Hill his mega-deal. I do think Mack was 100% on the team because of his Hayward connection. And I think Neto will be offered a deal because he and Rudy are travel companions. It's really not a big deal with Raul, though. He's an adequate 3rd string PG and will either accept peanuts from Utah or potentially move on for a few million more.

Exum will be back if the price is right. If he gets too high an offer from another team, Jazz won't match. Mitchell has his buddy, Royce, to keep him company if Dante leaves.

No.

That was a off season joke thread and I made it well obvious. This time I'm serious and will quit the Jazz if they sign Dante to a monstrosity like they did Alec Burks.
Except Alec Burks' deal was essentially inconsequential to the cap and Burks had actually done anything in the league (hardly a monstrosity, unlike if Dante makes anything within eight-figures per year).

No GM or NBA team (or any team above Jr Jazz) will be effective if they base decisions on friendships. Team chemistry is very important but very different than using "friendship" as the criteria for who they keep. I imagine that fact that guys get along is a nice bonus that has impact if everything else is equal but that is it. It is an insult to Ingles and DL to say that is why he was signed. The related false myth on this is that the reason we signed Jingles to begin with was because he could help Dante. If you look into the history and what was said, the Jazz believed Joe to his initial contract because could contribute as an NBA player

No GM or NBA team (or any team above Jr Jazz) will be effective if they base decisions on friendships. Team chemistry is very important but very different than using "friendship" as the criteria for who they keep. I imagine that fact that guys get along is a nice bonus that has impact if everything else is equal but that is it. It is an insult to Ingles and DL to say that is why he was signed. The related false myth on this is that the reason we signed Jingles to begin with was because he could help Dante. If you look into the history and what was said, the Jazz believed Joe to his initial contract because could contribute as an NBA player

All I'm saying is that the reason they resigned Ingles so quickly was so that they could use that as a pitch to keep Hayward. I think they would've kept him regardless, because the franchise values him.

My point is that the Jazz are going to 100% keep Exum, because (in order):
1 - They believe in him long-term
2 - They control his rights
3 - No other team will offer him more than the Jazz are willing to pay
4 - He has an undeniable chemistry with Mitchell on the court (from what we've seen)
5 - Our main players (Rudy, Ingles, and Mitchell) all personally like him

If Exum acted distant (like Hood or Kanter) I don't think we'd be bringing him back.

Except Alec Burks' deal was essentially inconsequential to the cap and Burks had actually done anything in the league (hardly a monstrosity, unlike if Dante makes anything within eight-figures per year).

The part I won't give you in that line of reasoning is that Utah is now limited to not offering anywhere near a full max contract to an FA because of Alec's contract. I think Donovan, Rudy, Joe, and the surrounding cast can attract a big name, especially if Ricky keeps improving.