What's new

What happened to Gobert???

I've been saying it all summer. I have concerns. He has a long way to go before he is a "known" commodity. The league adapts quickly to his type. They have taken him out of the game on the defensive end by bringing in shooters... Then when he is on offense we are playing 5 V 4. It's not gonna be easy, but I do believe he can adapt as well. Just will take some time.

I've been saying it all summer. I have concerns. He has a long way to go before he is a "known" commodity. The league adapts quickly to his type. They have taken him out of the game on the defensive end by bringing in shooters... Then when he is on offense we are playing 5 V 4. It's not gonna be easy, but I do believe he can adapt as well. Just will take some time.

They haven't even been going small on him. Len worked him. Meyers Leonard worked him. And last night Adams worked him. He's looked a combination of soft and untalented.

I noticed last year quite a few times where Exum was able to stay in front of his player just long enough to slow him down and give Rudy time to come over and get an easy block. Going to be an interesting next few months.

I noticed last year quite a few times where Exum was able to stay in front of his player just long enough to slow him down and give Rudy time to come over and get an easy block. Going to be an interesting next few months.
Damn.. I was hoping we wouldn't miss Exum that badly.

Exum's injury leaves a gaping hole in the strength of the team. Trading for Schroeder would be a big upgrade over Burke/Neto, and would help Gobert tremendously.

Something has to be going on in his personal life or something, because he really just doesn't seem like himself. Regular Rudy will be back eventually. Let's just hope it's in time for the regular season.

Several things, some worrisome, others more conjonctural :
- Preseason after an intense summer with the NT, probably lots of hard training going on as well. So there is a formal of mental fatigue / difficulty to get properly motivated. Once the real season starts, motivation will be there, bad performances will motivate him even more, etc.
- Being better known and more scouted. The NBA regular season is an endless sprint, you play every 2 days, you just don't stop. Staff scout players, but it's isn't the same as the players on the team having the mental time to process who they are playing against and how to attack them. This job was done during the offseason, players know how to minimize Gobert's strengths a lot better. he will have to adapt too.
- Poorer team defense. Defense requires abilities (size being an important one) and motivation. in preseason the motivation is lacking and the ability is lower because different rotations are being tried out. Gobert as the ultime defender, ie the key one but also the "beneficiary" of others work in terms of stats (rim protection, blocks, def rebounding, etc) suffers from it.
- The PG situation plays a role. Exum is really a freaking awesome defender, he could be a tall Gary Payton in terms of defense. Having Burke as the "initial" defender in the set degrades the defense so much, it is'nt funny. this hurts team defense and Gobert.

We will see. I am confident Gobert will have a solid season, but it might not be the monstruosity we dreamt of. He might be more in the 10/12/2,5 mold, which is already darn solid, rather than the otherworldly 10/14/3,5 we came to dream about...

Several things, some worrisome, others more conjonctural :
- Preseason after an intense summer with the NT, probably lots of hard training going on as well. So there is a formal of mental fatigue / difficulty to get properly motivated. Once the real season starts, motivation will be there, bad performances will motivate him even more, etc.
- Being better known and more scouted. The NBA regular season is an endless sprint, you play every 2 days, you just don't stop. Staff scout players, but it's isn't the same as the players on the team having the mental time to process who they are playing against and how to attack them. This job was done during the offseason, players know how to minimize Gobert's strengths a lot better. he will have to adapt too.
- Poorer team defense. Defense requires abilities (size being an important one) and motivation. in preseason the motivation is lacking and the ability is lower because different rotations are being tried out. Gobert as the ultime defender, ie the key one but also the "beneficiary" of others work in terms of stats (rim protection, blocks, def rebounding, etc) suffers from it.
- The PG situation plays a role. Exum is really a freaking awesome defender, he could be a tall Gary Payton in terms of defense. Having Burke as the "initial" defender in the set degrades the defense so much, it is'nt funny. this hurts team defense and Gobert.

We will see. I am confident Gobert will have a solid season, but it might not be the monstruosity we dreamt of. He might be more in the 10/12/2,5 mold, which is already darn solid, rather than the otherworldly 10/14/3,5 we came to dream about...
Good post

Would like to see Rudy at least attempt an 8-10 foot shot this preseason, the one he says he has been working on. So far, I have seen zero additions to his offense. Disappointing.

Would like to see Rudy at least attempt an 8-10 foot shot this preseason, the one he says he has been working on. So far, I have seen zero additions to his offense. Disappointing.

All you have to do is watch him warming up and you realize anything outside 5 feet is an awful idea.

Gobert is going to stay near the Rim, that's where you want him. So developping a 10 feet shot is not the priority on offense. More important is a quality hook shot on both sides up to 5/6 feet. THAT would make a big big difference, the rest is frosting. IMHO of course.

Players probably give about 30% of their capabilities in preseason games. Steven Adams is coming off from a bunch of injuries. He remains his starter position. I think he is more motivated because of the difference of the time Rudy and Steven spent on court this last few months. Rudy does seem really tired and unmotivated though.

Gobert is going to stay near the Rim, that's where you want him. So developping a 10 feet shot is not the priority on offense. More important is a quality hook shot on both sides up to 5/6 feet. THAT would make a big big difference, the rest is frosting.

But he doesn't seem to have worked on that. Did you see that weak air-ball hook he threw up against Adams. I don't understand why big guys like him don't use the backboard more from 5 feet on in -- you don't need a great touch using the backboard, just getting the ball on the proper areas of the board, plus it provides opportunities for putbacks.

But he doesn't seem to have worked on that. Did you see that weak air-ball hook he threw up against Adams. I don't understand why big guys like him don't use the backboard more from 5 feet on in -- you don't need a great touch using the backboard, just getting the ball on the proper areas of the board, plus it provides opportunities for putbacks.

Oh I agree, I was just saying what I consider should be the priority. But Gobert is still fantastically limited on offense and it is a very distinct possibility that he remains so throughout his career. At least he is a decent FT shooter. If that was to dip... then yuck.

Gobert is going to stay near the Rim, that's where you want him. So developping a 10 feet shot is not the priority on offense. More important is a quality hook shot on both sides up to 5/6 feet. THAT would make a big big difference, the rest is frosting. IMHO of course.

This.

He has stated that he has been working on it and it is coming along.

Players probably give about 30% of their capabilities in preseason games. Steven Adams is coming off from a bunch of injuries. He remains his starter position. I think he is more motivated because of the difference of the time Rudy and Steven spent on court this last few months. Rudy does seem really tired and unmotivated though.

I'm not sure where you get that figure from but it looked to me that both RW and KD do not subscribe to that concept of taking it easy in preseason.

In addition to that hook he needs to work on his hand strength and catching passes.