What's new

What Is Gordon's Ceiling???

Watching him dribble the ball while trying to make a move is like watching a car crash. You want to look away but you can't.

A slow-motion car crash. Every time he drives I go to the bathroom, get a drink from the fridge, pet the dog, and when I sit back down I can usually catch the end of the drive which 90% of the time is him getting stuffed and casting a hurt or befuddled expression at the refs.

A slow-motion car crash. Every time he drives I go to the bathroom, get a drink from the fridge, pet the dog, and when I sit back down I can usually catch the end of the drive which 90% of the time is him getting stuffed and casting a hurt or befuddled expression at the refs.

Durring Haywards rookie season Locke said that Hayward was slow in the lane because he took too big of steps, and that all he had to do was learn to take smaller quicker steps and then Hayward would be great. There was probalby no time for him to work on those small steps durring the extended lock-out offseason, or during the super fast lock-out season, or durring this years regular offseason, but I'm sure that he will get it down, just give him time.

Watching him dribble the ball while trying to make a move is like watching a car crash. You want to look away but you can't.

When he tried to ISO Griffin during the Clippers game and got stripped, I laughed my *** off. The guy has a good feel for dribbling, and he does a pretty good job at getting to the rim, but whenever he gets in traffic his high dribble is exposed.

The other 10% is him losing the dribble as he tries a spin move.

I needa see Gordon play in a good offense before I make up my mind on this. I don't see him making more than 1 all-star game though, if even

Cons:
Inconsistent shooter
Inconsistent defender
Inconsistent passer
Inconsistent dribbler
Inconsistent vision and movement

Pros:
Almost made a shot to win a championship at the last level

Sell high.

He's a short AK47, without half the defensive prowess, way worse shooter, & nowhere near the court vision or passing ability. He does get to the line at a good clip like AK though, but still not as well. AK was better than Hayward will ever be in every facet of the game and only made one All Star game. Hayward never will.

The only thing left to make him the most frustrating player on the Jazz is a very long, very overpriced contract.

Reactions: MVP
Sell high.

He's a short AK47, without half the defensive prowess, way worse shooter, & nowhere near the court vision or passing ability. He does get to the line at a good clip like AK though, but still not as well. AK was better than Hayward will ever be in every facet of the game and only made one All Star game. Hayward never will.

The only thing left to make him the most frustrating player on the Jazz is a very long, very overpriced contract.

Staying healthy?

There is that. Scott Padget never missed a game due to injury. I hear he's available.

Why did the Jazz ever let AK go? He's been sorely missed at the 3. I bet this team is 14-6 with AK playing over Haywierd. 13-7 easily.

If his jump shot stays inconsistent, I say he'll be a 15/4/4 player. If he ever manages to figure out his shot--say, 36% consistently--then, I think he can get those numbers up to something like 18/4/4.

Although, it's not just his shot that will be key to him reaching his potential, he needs to be used properly.

I still think he has a fairly high ceiling because he can improve in so many areas. Mainly ball-handling and shooting, both spot-up and off the dribble. Those two things and then finishing around the basket would make him a very good player. Then get him and favors in the pick and roll, and him and kanter in the pick and pop potentially. Why isn't burks rubbing off the guy in the post on the baseline for a handoff opportunity like the jazz used to do? Seems like a perfect role for him

I still think he has a fairly high ceiling because he can improve in so many areas. Mainly ball-handling and shooting, both spot-up and off the dribble. Those two things and then finishing around the basket would make him a very good player. Then get him and favors in the pick and roll, and him and kanter in the pick and pop potentially. Why isn't burks rubbing off the guy in the post on the baseline for a handoff opportunity like the jazz used to do? Seems like a perfect role for him

Most players don't improve very much on their core skills after their 3 years. I don't think Hayward is going to become much more than he is now. He is a good useful player but never a star.

I've given up on him ever being a finisher in traffic. But, if you have to deeply respect his 3-pnt shot (which he has all the mechanics to do, etc.) and he develops a good scoring offense around the PnR (which he most certainly can do if the offense helps him a bit more + with repetition), then he can become much better.

His ceiling:

Take an AK47 but less dominant defensively (particularly blocks and his defensive versatility), combine with Manu, and Harden. Then give him a ball that has a tack jammed in it to make it bounce crookedly. Take away the ability to consistently create off of the dribble, and finally take away the general activity of these players in most aspects of the game. This is who Hayward is.

His ceiling:

Take an AK47 but less dominant defensively (particularly blocks and his defensive versatility), combine with Manu, and Harden. Then give him a ball that has a tack jammed in it to make it bounce crookedly. Take away the ability to consistently create off of the dribble, and finally take away the general activity of these players in most aspects of the game. This is who Hayward is.

For old time's sake, can you explain the production of this player in neo-punk Marxist terms?

Thanks in advance.

i think we still havent seen what gordons limit is. i think untill you have a player on the floor that can compliment haywards strengths, we wont see it. he needs abig man who knows how to seta screen adn roll aka pick and roll.

Poor man's Harpring with better passing and worse rebounding. Said that 2 years ago and still looks the same.

Poor man's Harpring with better passing and worse rebounding. Said that 2 years ago and still looks the same.

even if that is all he amounts too, (and i think he will achieve more) evey team needs a harpring on it.

Most players don't improve very much on their core skills after their 3 years. I don't think Hayward is going to become much more than he is now. He is a good useful player but never a star.

Says who? All great players seem to improve almost every off-season in some areas. Were you blind to the progression of the 2 greatest Jazzer's of all-time? I think the Jazz may have anticipated Gordon to have a much more intense work ethic than he apparently has. If most players don't improve much on these skills after 3 years like you say it is because they are not trying very hard to do so. They become role players like Gordon is. Great players improve their game constantly because they work harder than everybody else.

Says who? All great players seem to improve almost every off-season in some areas. Were you blind to the progression of the 2 greatest Jazzer's of all-time? I think the Jazz may have anticipated Gordon to have a much more intense work ethic than he apparently has. If most players don't improve much on these skills after 3 years like you say it is because they are not trying very hard to do so. They become role players like Gordon is. Great players improve their game constantly because they work harder than everybody else.

yeah!! i think even karl malone took a little while to reach his dominant peak!