What's new

What Price Should the Jazz Extend THT?

Let's wait the season start and see if THT improve. IT seems he did but preseason games are meaningless. If he play well, a 60/4 seems to be fair for me.

THT averaging

15, 4.7, 4.7 on 46/40 from the field and 3 in 3 pre-season games in 21 MPG

Per 36 that's about 26-8-8

That's at 22 years old playing PG after playing it for the first time in his career for about 25 games.

He might be worth 20m a year, but I think the Jazz could extend him for cheaper than that. I'd offer 60/4.

Those who don't want THT extended are being ridiculous. Big, highly skilled, 22 year old guards with good athleticism don't grow on trees.

THT averaging

15, 4.7, 4.7 on 46/40 from the field and 3 in 3 pre-season games in 21 MPG

Per 36 that's about 26-8-8

That's at 22 years old playing PG after playing it for the first time in his career for about 25 games.
He’s improving his decision making… only had two shots I didn’t love last night (was watching mostly on my phone while ignoring extended family) and one of them went in… the three off the dribble was the one that went in. Blew one absolute bunny but it happens. The dribble through the legs from behind the back thing he did was fun.

I just think he has to prove it for any kind of extension and we have a ton of workable options if it becomes necessary… waaaayyyy too early for this discussion unless he wants Payton Pritchard type money.

He’s improving his decision making… only had two shots I didn’t love last night (was watching mostly on my phone while ignoring extended family) and one of them went in… the three off the dribble was the one that went in. Blew one absolute bunny but it happens. The dribble through the legs from behind the back thing he did was fun.

I just think he has to prove it for any kind of extension and we have a ton of workable options if it becomes necessary… waaaayyyy too early for this discussion unless he wants Payton Pritchard type money.

If they wait until he's proven, he'll be a lot more expensive.

Let's wait the season start and see if THT improve. IT seems he did but preseason games are meaningless. If he play well, a 60/4 seems to be fair for me.

He looked good even last season. He has all the tools to be a very good player. 60/4 is a no-brainer. That's role player kind of money. 80/4 might be worth considering if that's what it takes.

I'm certainly good with 4/60. Not so sure about 80. I don't see him getting 4/80 offers.

If they wait until he's proven, he'll be a lot more expensive.
Nah… he won’t be that much more spendy. Better to make a deal that costs a bit more and be sure of it. Remember he had a player option this summer. Even if he could have gotten like 4/40M I think he opts out. If they feel a great desire to do it now it’s like 2/20M or something like that. The OP mentioned 4/80… that’s kinda worst case scenario… do we honestly think someone goes like 4/100 for him lol?

Extending him now also takes him off the trade market. If someone like him the could trade for him and extend him… unless it’s a steep discount it’s not something we’d do.

He looked good even last season. He has all the tools to be a very good player. 60/4 is a no-brainer. That's role player kind of money. 80/4 might be worth considering if that's what it takes.
4/60 would be wild imo… he put up numbers in a tanking situation and statistically is one of the worst shooters in the league still. A couple preseason games is great but no need to overreact. The leverage in these situations is with the team… so negotiate accordingly.

Nah… he won’t be that much more spendy. Better to make a deal that costs a bit more and be sure of it. Remember he had a player option this summer. Even if he could have gotten like 4/40M I think he opts out. If they feel a great desire to do it now it’s like 2/20M or something like that. The OP mentioned 4/80… that’s kinda worst case scenario… do we honestly think someone goes like 4/100 for him lol?

Extending him now also takes him off the trade market. If someone like him the could trade for him and extend him… unless it’s a steep discount it’s not something we’d do.

2/20 is less than he's making now...

15m a year would be a steal imo. Sexton is making more than that, despite being less valuable.

He looked good even last season.
In the 2nd half of last season, he was practically showcased, given the ball and a bright green light... and still had zero market in the offseason.

As I've said a million times before, the "problem" is that teams don't see THT as a lead guard. He won't beat out anyone in the league for that role, and this is the only team where it's in the realm of possibility that he starts at PG. Literally.

I'd say he's seen in much the same way as Sexton. Instant offense off the bench, on a tight leash, 15-20 minutes per game. Irrational confidence guy you sometimes need to kickstart your offense. Defensively he sucks and everyone knows it.

We're wasting our time expecting his trade value to increase by giving him lead ballhandling/playmaking duties in the starting lineup. Play him as the 7th guy and watch the offers trickle in.

4/60 would be wild imo… he put up numbers in a tanking situation and statistically is one of the worst shooters in the league still. A couple preseason games is great but no need to overreact. The leverage in these situations is with the team… so negotiate accordingly.

4/60 is probably decent backup kind of money with how big contracts are becoming. Even if he becomes a below average starter, that contract would be easy to move.

2/20 is less than he's making now...

15m a year would be a steal imo. Sexton is making more than that, despite being less valuable.
Yes an amount he opted in to when he could have gone to FA because his market wasn’t great… a couple preseason games hasn’t changed that in a material way. I don’t think sexton is less valuable and even if he was you don’t negotiate that way.

In the 2nd half of last season, he was practically showcased, given the ball and a bright green light... and still had zero market in the offseason.

As I've said a million times before, the "problem" is that teams don't see THT as a lead guard. He won't beat out anyone in the league for that role, and this is the only team where it's in the realm of possibility that he starts at PG. Literally.

I'd say he's seen in much the same way as Sexton. Instant offense off the bench, on a tight leash, 15-20 minutes per game. Irrational confidence guy you sometimes need to kickstart your offense. Defensively he sucks and everyone knows it.

Okay, I guess I'm just more high on THT than most. Sexton is limited by his size, and I think he's as good as he'll ever get.

Yes an amount he opted in to when he could have gone to FA because his market wasn’t great… a couple preseason games hasn’t changed that in a material way. I don’t think sexton is less valuable and even if he was you don’t negotiate that way.

Fair enough. I think I see something different from you when I watch THT. To me, he seems like a very promising player (who's already decent at a lot of things) who's worth locking down at a reasonable rate.

4/60 is probably decent backup kind of money with how big contracts are becoming. Even if he becomes a below average starter, that contract would be easy to move.
4/60 is a lot of money for a backup still… that’s elite bench money. There is no reason to volunteer that money… that’s what he could get if he plays well this year. There is a chance he gets hurt or the shot goes sideways again and his market goes to nothing.

Even if he blows up and plays well we could trade him for value if we think he wants to leave… his acquiring team could extend him. The best value play is to just let him prove it… unless he wants to give us strong discount.

Fair enough. I think I see something different from you when I watch THT. To me, he seems like a very promising player (who's already decent at a lot of things) who's worth locking down at a reasonable rate.
And that’s fair I just think when you do an extension unless it’s a star or max player type it needs to be more favorable to the team.