What's new

What's Good in the World Today Thread

can planes fly on that?

https://www.govisitcostarica.com/category/transportation/airlines.asp

While you won’t find large jumbo jet airplane in these domestic airlines, you’ll discover that there are other ways to fly! These airlines operate a variety of small single & double prop planes that are never too crowded since they can only carry between 9 and 25 passengers at a time.

I'm pretty sure single and double-prop planes could use some form of diesel fuel, or something easily converted from it.

Watching a documentary about Bill Gates(and Melinda) and their foundation's goal of reducing child deaths due to diarrhea and other diseases from raw sewage by reinventing the toilet, or creating a self-contained toilet that eliminates its own waste.

At the end of the day, one cruise ship burns same amount of fuel per day as million cars. Until we find how to replace those fuels in ships and planes we will be only making a scratch on fossil fuel consumption by changing to bio fuels, electric or solar power for other needs.
Probably right.
Something is better than nothing imo. Making a scratch is better than no scratch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Probably right.
Something is better than nothing imo. Making a scratch is better than no scratch.

Speaking of making a scratch, another of the Gates Foundation's goals is to reduce carbon emissions through modern, supposedly fail-safe nuclear plants. Nuclear power technology is stuck in the 60's and the foundation's team came up with amazing new tech but the only country that would allow it as a test was China, after several years of Bill working toward an agreement. President Xi Jinping finally flew to Seattle to meet with Bill and ok'd the deal but Trump's trade war shut it down. The fascinating three-part Inside Bill's Brain by David Guggenheim is on Netflix and it's pretty incredible what the Gates foundation is doing in several areas of health and environment.

Last edited:
Last edited:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/03/measles-vaccine-protect-disease-immune-amnesia/

It takes a minute to get to the point, so here's an outline:
  1. Measles causes immune-amnesia.
    1. It's what it sounds like; after being infected with measles, your body loses varying amounts of knowledge to fight infections
  2. Pardoxically, though Measles causes immune amnesia, it does not reset your immune systems ability to fight measles.
What's so good about that?

Can you imagine any sicknesses that we might want immune systems to forget? Maybe something that makes your immune system attack your body?

I'd say this warrants more study/funding.

Can we get actual medical students/professionals opinion on this? Haven't heard from @dalamon in a minute.

A good story from today: I was asked to sit in on an IEP for a special needs student. Girl was with us for 2 years in our preschool and now in full day Kindergarten. Single mom lives in government housing said doctors told her little girl was not viable when she was born. Girl was nonverbal and couldn’t walk by herself when she came to us. Fast forward to today. Mom said little girl came running to her with a sight words worksheet. Girl pointed to words and read to mom, See! The! She! He! It! Mom said she cried. She put sight word list in a picture frame and hung it on her wall.

A good story from today: I was asked to sit in on an IEP for a special needs student. Girl was with us for 2 years in our preschool and now in full day Kindergarten. Single mom lives in government housing said doctors told her little girl was not viable when she was born. Girl was nonverbal and couldn’t walk by herself when she came to us. Fast forward to today. Mom said little girl came running to her with a sight words worksheet. Girl pointed to words and read to mom, See! The! She! He! It! Mom said she cried. She put sight word list in a picture frame and hung it on her wall.
That's awesome

Wow, how wonderful.

Dude runs a sub 2 hour marathon, which is a damn miracle a huge achievement and this dude feels the need to **** on him.

https://www.rt.com/sport/470811-eliud-kipchoge-marathon-tarnished-technology/

I never thought it would be done and he sub'd it by 20 seconds.
So lame that, among other things, the guy who wrote the article points out that part of the reason he accomplished this feat is that he chose a conducive course and good weather. Of course he did! Kipchoge ran 26 consecutive 4:34 miles without a break. It's a mind-boggling accomplishment. I have run many races and, as far as I know, I have only run one single mile faster than that pace. It was a downhill race specifically designed to maximize speed (and it still practically destroyed me). I've won 5K runs simply by being able to maintain a sub 6 minute pace for three miles. I don't think the author of that article has a clue what an amazing thing Kipchoge has done.

I need to spend more time in this thread. Just read this, and literally teared up. Thanks, Jazz Fusion-- how cool that you get to be so close to these kinds of stories. Keep up the good work, man.

At the end of the day, one cruise ship burns same amount of fuel per day as million cars. Until we find how to replace those fuels in ships and planes we will be only making a scratch on fossil fuel consumption by changing to bio fuels, electric or solar power for other needs.

Cruise Ship Fuel Usage
Size is key to fuel consumption and efficiency. A smaller ship will use less fuel than a large ship to travel the same distance. Both size and the average speed a cruise ship travels impact how much fuel it uses. On average, a large cruise ship can use up to 250 tons of fuel per day, which is around 80,000 gallons. Cruise1st.co.uk claims a normal cruise ship can use around 140 to 150 tons of fuel each day, consuming 30 to 50 gallons per mile travelled.

I'm pretty sure "million cars" uses more than 80,000 gallons per day.

EDIT: Okay I saw your follow up post. Particulates are a thing, sure, but how do particulates emitted from cruise ships affect the ocean far from shore? I don't know the answer, but my guess is that it doesn't really matter.