What's new

When is Quin Snyder going to install an offense?

I saw a stat that the jazz are 17th in the league offensively. Seems near the middle of the league to me

Some offensive stats:

27th in ppg @ 93.3

20th in FG% @ 42.4

3rd in 3 pt % @ 37.4

5th in TOs per game @ 12.7 (big improvement over last season)

24th in FT% @ 72.0

9th in Offensive rebounds per game @ 11.5

30th in Assist per game @ 16.5

19th if offensive effeciency @ .982

28th in fastbreak points per game @ 8.2

20th in points in the paint per game @ 41.7

per ESPN & Teamrankings.com

Not dead last over all but certainly I'd say bottom 1/2 to 1/3 of the league overall. Clear room for improvement.

Snyder Is An Awesome Coach. We don't have the talent to build a great offense. We have the talent to be the number one defense in the league. What do you want? For him to rebirth all our contracted players into MJ, LB molds?

Sure that would be nice but I imagine A Quin @ss would be pretty worn out. He took us, from the bottom 3-5 teams in the league to a playoff contender in one season.

Now we're going to start a anti Snyder thread? Really? Would you like to win the lottery and have the first lady give you head at the first time as well?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

The Jazz aren't mediocre on the other end. They are great on one side and hot trash on the other, nearly the worst in the league. Your line seems to be that that's okay, and as long as they have a winning record there's no reason to pay attention to the 800 lb gorilla in the room.

They can improve on offense. They need to improve on offense. This improvement needs to come from a coach who can install a legitimate offense instead of this college ball nonsense.

Yes, we do need to get better on offense, but it can't be at the expense of our defense. Let's get elite at one thing and then start improving on another thing.

To compete for a championship a team has to be elite at something and above average at everything else. I think our team needs focus to develop their elite defense and I don't think the Jazz are done with that yet.

And we aren't going to win a championship this year. Let's give Quin one more year before we start expecting championships. I have no doubt that once this defense is set the team will make considerable improvements on offense.

Don't use per game stats - they don't adjust for pace. Offensive efficiency (points per 100 possessions) has us right around league average.

Don't use per game stats - they don't adjust for pace. Offensive efficiency (points per 100 possessions) has us right around league average.
This

I included that as well, it had us at 19th. Using all of it tells the most complete story you can.

Honestly, we shouldn't coin ourselves the best defensive team in the league at least until after this upcoming road trip.
Take it when you can get it. They are the best right now. If they're still the best at the end of this trip then we can really brag. If not, at least we didn't waste our opportunity to gloat while we could.

To me, our biggest issue is our pace. We run (walk really) so dang slow. And we practically run an iso offense, which I don't really think we have the players to make that very successful. A lot of it is talent too though. We're just not that good offensively, scheme or talent wise.

Looks like Quin wants Mike Conley to join us and has already started his campaign.
Conley will be a free agent this summer and he is arguably the most underrated PG in the league.

as posted on https://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/

Quin Snyder on Mike Conley: He’s a terrific player. I mean, like, on a personal level, he’s, like, one of my favorite players. Maybe you’re not supposed to say that, but you know, I just love the way he plays and the way he leads

I haven't been getting at spacing issues with Favors and Gobert. Is there some other O-D tradeoff you have in mind that I'm missing?

Yeah, just practicing and repeating what they're doing on defense. Thinking about that first until they are as good as they can be defensively before you shift their attention to offense.

I don't want them rethinking their offensive mistakes while they are on the defensive end. I want them thinking about how they aren't going to let the other team score.

I'll say this: it seems very odd that a team in the bottom-half of the league in offensive efficiency and is so elite defensively isn't emphasizing scoring in transition more. Especially since that would be a factor in improving the home court advantage, and especially since this team has so many ballhandlers at any given time. Someone that knows more should shed some light on this to me because it doesn't make much sense to me.

I'll say this: it seems very odd that a team in the bottom-half of the league in offensive efficiency and is so elite defensively isn't emphasizing scoring in transition more. Especially since that would be a factor in improving the home court advantage, and especially since this team has so many ballhandlers at any given time. Someone that knows more should shed some light on this to me because it doesn't make much sense to me.

Teams seem to be playing get back against the Jazz more than usual. I think it's a combination of their terrible offense (teams are comfortable defending them) and having Rudy n Favors rebounding. It's giving the Jazz a defensive edge in the statistics while potentially crippling the offensive numbers a bit. Teams are simply giving up after the first shot and getting back on d. I'm not seeing a whole lot of opportunity to run.

Utah is 5th in allowed ORB.

Teams seem to be playing get back against the Jazz more than usual. I think it's a combination of their terrible offense (teams are comfortable defending them) and having Rudy n Favors rebounding. It's giving the Jazz a defensive edge in the statistics while potentially crippling the offensive numbers a bit. Teams are simply giving up after the first shot and getting back on d. I'm not seeing a whole lot of opportunity to run.

Hmm. That'd do it I guess.

Great point. And because our defense is so stout, shouldn't we expect pace to be slower with teams using up more of their clock to get a shot off? Definitely need to improve offensively, though. But part of that may be youth, part might be PG play. Trey has always played slow. But until a better option becomes available, I'm willing to praise the positive progress Burke has made. And Neto is 3rd string at best. If we actually had a starting PG who could put pressure on the opposing defense, I think our stats would greatly improve.

I would like to see this line up some time before I die;

Exum
Burks
Hood
Hayward
Gobert

I know, I know..