What's new

Who do you side with?

Okay, so we would at least need a global administrative body to coordinate large efforts involving many groups. So it'd have to be a think tank with a bureaucracy.

As for the enforcement issue, if membership in the global government comes with sizable benefit to those who voluntarily join (and it should be designed to offer such benefit), then an enforceable set of rules is both justifiable, and important from a symbolic and practical perspectives. As for modes of enforcement, they could range from imposing penalties to discourage a violating action by counter-acting its benefit to the community (for example if a community enacts a slave labor system, then a fee that outweighs any economic benefit of that system can be issued), to expulsion from the group.

Yeah I'm cool with that.

My major concern was with the idea of governing which doesn't imply voluntary and enforcement that implies state military force. You addressed both of those so I would agree that yes such an institution does sound acceptable but now we are left with defining what we mean by community. If by that you mean something like a country than we have reintroduced the issues to which I would object. If on the other hand you are talking about communities like the Salt Lake Homeowners Association, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, the American Academy of Science, etc then I say, yeppers.

Not sure what you are saying. Money is taxed when you invest it and it's value grows, similar to when you use money to buy property and your investment grows, you pay tax on the excess money your investment made for you...Similarly, if you have personal property (car, baseball card collection, etc.) and you sell it for more than you pay for it, you are supposed to pay tax on it. If you invest a U.S. dollar in other currency, and your investment grows, you pay tax.

As an aside, you are also supposed to send sales tax for online orders that do not collect tax in your home state. This rule is not enforced, but I have a friend in Utah that actually did pay this tax. I'm sure the Utah Tax Commission has his check framed as the only person ever to do this LOL.

I never said that it wasn't taxed. I simply pointed out that it is property therefor the same justification for taxing other property applies to capital gains.

And, btw, I can't get behind a "white male" tax. I've worked my *** off and started with nothing.
I am all for equality, but not sure how to accomplish fairness without penalizing someone else for an "advantage" they had no choice in...

Tbh, I really believe I could have done all the things I've done as Ahmed.. but admit I am likely too naive to confidently defend that position.

I can say, however, I would recruit the **** out of Dala for any position he would want and would feel I hit a home run in doing so.

How old are you? TIA.

Yeah I'm cool with that.

My major concern was with the idea of governing which doesn't imply voluntary and enforcement that implies state military force. You addressed both of those so I would agree that yes such an institution does sound acceptable but now we are left with defining what we mean by community. If by that you mean something like a country than we have reintroduced the issues to which I would object. If on the other hand you are talking about communities like the Salt Lake Homeowners Association, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, the American Academy of Science, etc then I say, yeppers.

Yep, that's exactly what I mean by community. Any group of people who decide to band together around a common theme. It could be geographic, economic, ideological, cultural, or whatever. Members of the global group would allow free movement between the people of the different communities (so they'd be, at their heart, communities of choice). This system would offer most of the benefits of the current status quo, while eliminating many of its downsides.

I also have ideas about eventual A.I.s doing most of the administrative work, but that's neither here not there.

I want more equity regarding federal spending. Maybe we should just kick the south eastern states out of the Union.

966724856.jpg

Here is an example of what I would call a social anarchist institution that's an alternative to capitalism for those curious. It is an institution for renters. Rather than rent from a landlord, renters create an institution where the rented properties are owned by the renters collectively. As a member each renter would have the right to vote on fee's such as for property improvement, general maintenance, and expansion of the renter catalog. Honestly if a mature institution such as this existed I think I would sell my home and join.

Here is an example of what I would call a social anarchist institution that's an alternative to capitalism for those curious. It is an institution for renters. Rather than rent from a landlord, renters create an institution where the rented properties are owned by the renters collectively. As a member each renter would have the right to vote on fee's such as for property improvement, general maintenance, and expansion of the renter catalog. Honestly if a mature institution such as this existed I think I would sell my home and join.

Sounds like a housing co-op to me.

As an aside, you are also supposed to send sales tax for online orders that do not collect tax in your home state. This rule is not enforced, but I have a friend in Utah that actually did pay this tax. I'm sure the Utah Tax Commission has his check framed as the only person ever to do this LOL.

I've only become aware in the past couple of years that almost no one pays this. I've been paying it faithfully every year (which isn't that difficult since I don't order more than a couple hundred dollars of stuff online in any given year and it just comes out of my refund). I considered not paying it this year if no one else does, but the rulekeeper in me insisted. Shame on the rest of you. ;)

Some might just want to smoke pot, stay out of the middle east, get abortions, tax the hell out of the rich, and stop bailing out banks and wall street

Granted this is just for FIC, but the rich are paying a pretty good amount. Example is from 2013, but people who earned $250,000 and above paid 48.9% of FIC. The top 50% of wage earners paid 97% of FIC, and the top 1% paid 38%. In simple terms, the highest quintile of earners received 19 cents back for every dollar paid in federal taxes, the lowest received $18 for every dollar paid in federal taxes, and the middle was at $2.23 for every dollar paid. Now this is just FIC, and obviously there are other changes that could be made (capital gains for one), but I think the popular rhetoric that the rich aren't taxed highly is a little misguided.

I've only become aware in the past couple of years that almost no one pays this. I've been paying it faithfully every year (which isn't that difficult since I don't order more than a couple hundred dollars of stuff online in any given year and it just comes out of my refund). I considered not paying it this year if no one else does, but the rulekeeper in me insisted. Shame on the rest of you. ;)

Lol. Montana doesn't have a sales tax. Pretty nice unless you own lots of property.

The reason I ask is that the baby boomers love to do the whole:

"I made this scratch with the sweat of my brow. If you'd work as hard as I did, you'd be me."

If that's the case, I believe you, hats off to you, but that ain't the game anymore in my experience. At least not for Mexican trash like myself.

That being said, I'm a frickin open book. Any tips/advice...bring it on. Ain't nothin I can't handle.

The reason I ask is that the baby boomers love to do the whole:

"I made this scratch with the sweat of my brow. If you'd work as hard as I did, you'd be me."

If that's the case, I believe you, hats off to you, but that ain't the game anymore in my experience. At least not for Mexican trash like myself.

That being said, I'm a frickin open book. Any tips/advice...bring it on. Ain't nothin I can't handle.

I'm 43.
I did work hard, but I also recognize I was born with a gift of deal making. Hard work helped make use of it.