What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

He is a complete free agent. The Jazz paid him $14.8 million last year, possibly a little more if he met some incentives. I'd be shocked if the Jazz offer him anything to stay on board, but if they do I really hope it's not more than about $10-11 million (just above the MLE). I don't think he's worth more than that.

I think the only way he comes back is if he completely strikes out... like can't even get MLE money... and we completely strike out. Its a non-zero chance, but I'd say very unlikely.

I really think Tobias may view a 3+1 with a player option as better than a 5 year max. He'd could choose to hit free agency at 30 years old again and even if he didn't get the same yearly amount he could ink a 4 year deal that makes more on the backend. Especially if he was in a system that utilized his skills he could easily get another 4/120-150M. Hitting FA at 32 after staying in Philly as the 3rd or 4th option or being traded again to any team when Philly realizes they need depth.

If I had to guess right now I'd say:

Philly - 33% chance at retaining him
Brooklyn - 25% chance
Utah - 25% chance
Indiana - 12%
Someone else - 5%

Kemba has already stated it’s not about the money, and he’s prioritizing winning over money. It sounds like he wants to cut ties with the hornets.

Many guys have stated something similar... but when you have a deal that gives you $80M more than the other options then that changes things. He has made like $58-60M in his entire career... $80M is a lot of dough.

He could always sign the contract and if it is going horribly ask to be traded. I'd take the bag if I was him... and if they offer it.

Would love also come with a few picks and another young promising player though?
I mean he says right in he post you quoted that it isnt about getting batum but rather the stuff we get for taking on his contract

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
No but I was addressing the "Love might be nearly as washed/more washed than Batum" part of his post.

No but I was addressing the "Love might be nearly as washed/more washed than Batum" part of his post.
That might be true too. It's hard to say. Looking at minutes played last year, games played last year, efficiency statistics it so points to Batum being less washed up.

Though love would be a better fit and I think if he gets healthy, the better player as well.

One things for sure. I like Batum contract better and if we get assets as well then that's icing on the cake
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

He is a complete free agent. The Jazz paid him $14.8 million last year, possibly a little more if he met some incentives. I'd be shocked if the Jazz offer him anything to stay on board, but if they do I really hope it's not more than about $10-11 million (just above the MLE). I don't think he's worth more than that.
I really have no interest in Rubio. Rather sign some D-league guy and run with it. I'm done with him on the Jazz. If he's a vet minimum contract, he can come back and be 3rd string.

Many guys have stated something similar... but when you have a deal that gives you $80M more than the other options then that changes things. He has made like $58-60M in his entire career... $80M is a lot of dough.

He could always sign the contract and if it is going horribly ask to be traded. I'd take the bag if I was him... and if they offer it.
I keep seeing this 80M#and it's misleading. This completely disregards that the contract is a year longer and he'd most likely sign for something in that 5th year.

That might be true too. It's hard to say. Looking at minutes played last year, games played last year, efficiency statistics it so points to Batum being less washed up.

Though love would be a better fit and I think if he gets healthy, the better player as well.

One things for sure. I like Batum contract better and if we get assets as well then that's icing on the cake
I feel very confident as someone who watched a number of Hornets games last year for fantasy purposes + watching the Cavs for similar reasons that Love is a far more impactful and useful player than Batum and it's not particularly close. All the things that made Batum great he either can't do anymore (e.g. create out of the PnR consistently as a playmaker, drive by people) or he's not as good as he once was (e.g. defending, rebounding, etc). He's still a positive player but realistically the Jazz are in desperate need of shot creation/scoring and aren't necessarily in need of what Batum brings because as I said before Ingles is a superior player to Batum right now due to being able to still create out of a PnR.

He's an ultra efficient player but he does it on such a small volume because he passes out of a lot of potential opportunities due to being unable to force the issue, whereas Love is a slightly less efficient player who can do it on a much larger volume as the #1 guy. I really don't get why people think Batum is even close to Love in terms of impacting a game, I was surprised it was even a discussion in the first place.

If you want to talk about the young guys + picks the Jazz aren't getting anything of substantial value at all between picks in a consensus weak draft outside of the top 2 (maybe 3) guys, MKG doesn't do anything for this team and just gives us another defender except this time he can't actually shoot (and you guys thought Exum was bad), and the entire purpose of trading away Jae (love or hate him he's still a valuable rotation piece for us right now and far more impactful than MKG) and our sharpshooter off the bench who might be retiring (I bet the Hornets are tripping over themselves to trade for a guy who might be retiring), all to free up capspace which we can free up through other means anyway (except Batum is taking it up so RIP to that) is a bad deal.

As I said before, the Hornets roster is doo doo outside of Kemba (leaving), Lamb (FA) and Bridges (untradable). If the Jazz did trade for Batum I would be incredibly disappointed as even though he's got two less years on his deal, Mitchell's extension kicks in by the time we get off his money so the Jazz have little room to maneuver for a 3rd star post Batum while also getting stuck with a guy who can't impact a game in a 2nd or even 3rd option capacity consistently (and believe me the Hornets could've absolutely used a 2nd or 3rd option to help Kemba and some nights Lamb).

If this was a plan Z I'm ok with it but I would still take the gamble on Love as a Plan Y option before going in on Batum + MKG + draft picks in a bad draft, as at least I know Love is an impact player who has won a championship as a 3rd option and he fits a big hole for the Jazz if it works out whereas Batum is just another wing who can take an open shot and defend but he doesn't address any of the pressing needs this team has right now (consistent scoring, shot creation, playmaking), and you're basically gambling on mid-late draft picks in exchange for proven rotation players since MKG is an obvious downgrade.

I keep seeing this 80M#and it's misleading. This completely disregards that the contract is a year longer and he'd most likely sign for something in that 5th year.

K... how much is 33 year old Kemba getting for that extra year? It won't be anything near that obviously.

I feel very confident as someone who watched a number of Hornets games last year for fantasy purposes + watching the Cavs for similar reasons that Love is a far more impactful and useful player than Batum and it's not particularly close. All the things that made Batum great he either can't do anymore (e.g. create out of the PnR consistently as a playmaker, drive by people) or he's not as good as he once was (e.g. defending, rebounding, etc). He's still a positive player but realistically the Jazz are in desperate need of shot creation/scoring and aren't necessarily in need of what Batum brings because as I said before Ingles is a superior player to Batum right now due to being able to still create out of a PnR.

He's an ultra efficient player but he does it on such a small volume because he passes out of a lot of potential opportunities due to being unable to force the issue, whereas Love is a slightly less efficient player who can do it on a much larger volume as the #1 guy. I really don't get why people think Batum is even close to Love in terms of impacting a game, I was surprised it was even a discussion in the first place.

If you want to talk about the young guys + picks the Jazz aren't getting anything of substantial value at all between picks in a consensus weak draft outside of the top 2 (maybe 3) guys, MKG doesn't do anything for this team and just gives us another defender except this time he can't actually shoot (and you guys thought Exum was bad), and the entire purpose of trading away Jae (love or hate him he's still a valuable rotation piece for us right now and far more impactful than MKG) and our sharpshooter off the bench who might be retiring (I bet the Hornets are tripping over themselves to trade for a guy who might be retiring), all to free up capspace which we can free up through other means anyway (except Batum is taking it up so RIP to that) is a bad deal.

As I said before, the Hornets roster is doo doo outside of Kemba (leaving), Lamb (FA) and Bridges (untradable). If the Jazz did trade for Batum I would be incredibly disappointed as even though he's got two less years on his deal, Mitchell's extension kicks in by the time we get off his money so the Jazz have little room to maneuver for a 3rd star post Batum while also getting stuck with a guy who can't impact a game in a 2nd or even 3rd option capacity consistently (and believe me the Hornets could've absolutely used a 2nd or 3rd option to help Kemba and some nights Lamb).

If this was a plan Z I'm ok with it but I would still take the gamble on Love as a Plan Y option before going in on Batum + MKG + draft picks in a bad draft, as at least I know Love is an impact player who has won a championship as a 3rd option and he fits a big hole for the Jazz if it works out whereas Batum is just another wing who can take an open shot and defend but he doesn't address any of the pressing needs this team has right now (consistent scoring, shot creation, playmaking), and you're basically gambling on mid-late draft picks in exchange for proven rotation players since MKG is an obvious downgrade.

Good post I just disagree... primarily with the assessment on Love. I don't think he's an impactful guy and he may have one of the most toxic contracts in the league.

I would only do the Batum deal unless they sent multiple unprotected picks or one unprotected pick and Bridges. I don't hate Marvin Williams, but the rest of the guys are bad... I mean there are some average players, but just paid like they are starting level players... and they aren't that.

I don't think the Jazz are interested in this type of deal at all though.

Good post I just disagree... primarily with the assessment on Love. I don't think he's an impactful guy and he may have one of the most toxic contracts in the league.

I would only do the Batum deal unless they sent multiple unprotected picks or one unprotected pick and Bridges. I don't hate Marvin Williams, but the rest of the guys are bad... I mean there are some average players, but just paid like they are starting level players... and they aren't that.

I don't think the Jazz are interested in this type of deal at all though.
Cavs record with like a 75% version of Love for most of the time he played = 7 - 15 (~32% win rate)

Cavs record without Love = 10 - 58 (~17% win rate)

Neither are great but it's pretty obvious Love had an impact on the team when he played, and he had a below average season by his standards due to a variety of factors (e.g. coming back from injuries, playing a lot with young guys, etc). Whereas Batum has done very little to help the Hornets win in the last two years and has occasionally been asked to come off the bench instead of start.

I just want to re-emphasise again that I'm not a fan of bringing Love in either, I just find it strange that people would prefer to bring in a slightly above average player + gamble on draft picks over gambling on a proven championship offensive player.

I just want to re-emphasise again that I'm not a fan of bringing Love in either, I just find it strange that people would prefer to bring in a slightly above average player + gamble on draft picks over gambling on a proven championship offensive player.

Proven championship offensive player is a bit misleading imo.

Proven championship offensive player is a bit misleading imo.

You're probably right but he was a 3rd option on a championship team that came back from a 3 - 1 deficit, sacrificed by far the most out of LeBron/Kyrie and him for the betterment of the team, and has fairly reasonable stats in the playoffs considering he was a 3rd option who was asked to space the floor primarily during those Cavs runs (15/10 guy 40/40/85 shooting splits for his career in the playoffs).

Couple things, IMO I don’t think he wants to be a hornet anymore. It’s been going horrible for years, and that team isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. If I’m the hornets, why would I want him back at a supermax? How the hell are they supposed to build a winner by the time his contract is up. The only rebuild they can do with Kemba on a supermax contract is a slow rebuild through the draft.

If Kemba does sign a super max, he can’t just demand a trade, with 4-5 years on that deal. They’d keep him at least 3 years of that deal. I will be shocked if he resigns.

Couple things, IMO I don’t think he wants to be a hornet anymore. It’s been going horrible for years, and that team isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. If I’m the hornets, why would I want him back at a supermax? How the hell are they supposed to build a winner by the time his contract is up. The only rebuild they can do with Kemba on a supermax contract is a slow rebuild through the draft.

If Kemba does sign a super max, he can’t just demand a trade, with 4-5 years on that deal. They’d keep him at least 3 years of that deal. I will be shocked if he resigns.
If I were the hornets I wouldn't even offer him the supermax.

Never said it would. But a 33 year old Kemba is likely getting more money and more years than a 34 year old. It's a lot of money, but not an 80M difference.
Injury is an absolutely real risk. So, it could be $80M. I know you think your rationale is the best.... but maybe you can at least admit that there are other rationales? kthx.