What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Getting Niko around 12M this offseason is a great step in the right direction and wouldn't endanger other potential deals to add a bigger domino. Sign Niko then make a move for Conley... it is a way to address one of our needs... but it is the lower tier need imo. He's the guy I think is 10% better than Jae that some think we should find.

I'm confused why you think my statements are conflicting.

New Orleans was the worse team. Getting their pick was better than Utah's.
When Niko was traded, NOP was in 7th. The Jazz were in 10th (and 5 games back). At the time, the NOP pick was clearly "worse," so I don't know how you're arguing that they took Asik > Burks because they wanted a better pick, but then in another breath are saying that we could have landed Michael Porter at 14.

When Niko was traded, NOP was in 7th. The Jazz were in 10th. At the time, the NOP pick was clearly "worse," so I don't know how you're arguing that they took Asik > Burks because they wanted a better pick, but then in another breath are saying that we could have landed Michael Porter at 14.

I think protections may have been a bigger sticking point (if we had offered a first). I don't think we even offered a first or had intentions to... I was definitely in the camp that you wait until they settle for second round picks... they never go there.

Of the more realistic possibilities, I’d say either of these deals do indeed move us forward. Keep in mind I’m not saying this is where my focus is, I’m just saying that I don’t find many of the other options terribly realistic:

1. Trade for Conley and sign Jabari.

2. Trade for Love and sign Beverley.

I pitch to Tobias that he can be the first player in Jazz history to wear an official headband. Tobias breaking the headband rule could unlock the legendary headband Joe and turn the jazz into contenders right away.

I pitch to Tobias that he can be the first player in Jazz history to wear an official headband. Tobias breaking the headband rule could unlock the legendary headband Joe and turn the jazz into contenders right away.
Or on the flip side, the headband is holding him back.

A few things from this:

1. People were very influenced by the strong emotion of how much we lost at that time that the pick became fool's gold. I argued against that unceasingly and everyone thought it was because I was an optimist, or something. No, I didn't see the 26-5 run, or whatever, but I saw us making the 7th or 8th seed. Or, at worst, having the worst pick in the lottery.

2. The Boogie injury is important because everyone was sitting around thinking we'd land Niko with second rounders and I kept arguing that the landscape changes quickly, but everyone looked around the league and said "there are no other suitors, no reason to overpay." Boogie goes down and that's that.

1. Sure, that was a realistic expectation. Then it's whether or not you trade a pick in the teens for Niko.

2. It seems the front office liked the draft. And it was widely reported we were not giving up a 1st for Niko. In that sense, the front office set from the beginning what was the highest price they were willing to pay and hoped no one else would outbid them. I'm ok for being proactive and overpaying if it comes to that, but only for a star or very very good player that could get us over the hump (not Niko).

The jazz absolutely should’ve traded for Mirotic. @infection was right. And to say we would’ve missed the playoffs is completely laughable. Maybe he would’ve struggled here the first month, but regardless he would’ve added spacing and made the offense better. I would argue that we would’ve gotten the 4th seed, and maybe we get the 4th seed this year and end up on the third round vs GS. And the jazz have had their way with GS the last two years.

Great post

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Of the more realistic possibilities, I’d say either of these deals do indeed move us forward. Keep in mind I’m not saying this is where my focus is, I’m just saying that I don’t find many of the other options terribly realistic:

1. Trade for Conley and sign Jabari.

2. Trade for Love and sign Beverley.
The Jazz signing Parker is more unrealistic than Harris signing with Utah because the Jazz will never sign Parker.

Yeah, I don't think the Jazz have any interest whatsoever in Parker.

There have to be situations where the Jazz would consider Parker, I just don't think those are the desired possibilities. Favors will need to be replaced if he is renounced.

Anyway, FO isn't interested in Niko. At least not enough to move Favors out for him. I think the idea of trying to have both Niko and Favors would be silly. I think Jae is one of those guys, too, who is hurt by this fence straddling. Jae's a guy you either have to commit to or not.

We shall see about that. Just because the Jazz didn't offer anything in a trade doesn't mean they aren't interested. They know he's unrestricted and know they will have a lot of money.

We shall see about that. Just because the Jazz didn't offer anything in a trade doesn't mean they aren't interested. They know he's unrestricted and know they will have a lot of money.
When seen in context, they'd have to compare Niko at 10-12M or whatever vs. Favors at 18. I think they choose Favors 10/10 times.

Last edited:
Draymond Green plays PF but he takes no three pointers anymore
Even if he's wide open he will not try them most of time
But Green plays lock down defense
Favors is similar now
Jazz need more shooters like Warriors

Can't wait for the idiot referencing regular season stats and completely ignoring us getting our doors blown in in a sweep two seasons ago...and three.