What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

We would be paying him for roughly his average career production... which per 36 his career numbers are 18/9 on 42/36/81 shooting splits. We aren't expecting to get the guy that went 24/9 on 47/43/82... if he was that he would be getting a max type deal.

He has the ability to get nuclear hot... he could also disappear at times... he'd be our fifth best starter... that is kind of what fifth starters do. The difference is he'd provide space when he is out there no matter what... so the other guys will have more room to operate. He'd also be under contract longer and be a long term piece.

If you could find a stretch 4 who is a lock down defender I would very much prefer that... those guys aren't out there and aren't cheap when they are. Niko ain't perfect, but there is a lot to like.
You make good points, but I wonder how much damage someone like Niko or Jabari would do at the defensive end. I think Favors's contributions there may be significantly undervalued - and potentially more valuable than the uptick in value at the offensive end in terms of spacing that one of those types might bring.

We pick up JJ Redick and Eric Gordon in addition to what we've got now.....that's called "DECK STACKING" we now become hands down favorites to win the West! It's only money. I say the Jazz DO IT!
Who are you trading for Eric Gordon and where does the 1st round pick they want back come from? How do we get under the salary cap enough to have money to sign JJ?

The only option for Gordon is Ingles. Do you want to make that trade? For JJ we would have to drop Favors do you want that for JJ? So we have Donovan, Gordon, and JJ for SGs? Seems like a good idea.

You make good points, but I wonder how much damage someone like Niko or Jabari would do at the defensive end. I think Favors's contributions there may be significantly undervalued - and potentially more valuable than the uptick in value at the offensive end in terms of spacing that one of those types might bring.

I mean Jabari and Niko are different levels of bad... Parker gives zero effs about defense... he said as much. Niko isn't good but his bad defense is being exaggerated. He rebounds and is tall so he picks up a block or two. He's not as slow laterally as guys like Kanter. I think he can survive but in certain matchups, like if we play LA and they run James and Davis at the 4/5, he isn't ideal. He won't get played off the floor like some suggest.. he might get less playing time in some matchups... just like Favs.

I could see the Jazz:
a) inquiring about Khris Middleton, but not getting far
b) pursuing Tobias Harris, but not signing him -- they like him but may not want to pay $30M
c) pursuing a sign-and-trade of Favors/Neto to the Clippers for Danilo Gallinari
d) offering Mirotic $15M/year and renouncing Favors' option -- the Jazz would then pursue another big in free agency
A) the Jazz aren’t close to having a max slot
B) the Jazz aren’t close to having a max slot
C) I’m not sure why the Clippers would do that
D) Yes-ish. This is the only thing we would appear to remotely have any control over.

I mean Jabari and Niko are different levels of bad... Parker gives zero effs about defense... he said as much. Niko isn't good but his bad defense is being exaggerated. He rebounds and is tall so he picks up a block or two. He's not as slow laterally as guys like Kanter. I think he can survive but in certain matchups, like if we play LA and they run James and Davis at the 4/5, he isn't ideal. He won't get played off the floor like some suggest.. he might get less playing time in some matchups... just like Favs.
Right again. Jabari is definitely worse on D -- probably mainly due to lack of effort. Nikola is absolutely not terrible, but some of the analytical numbers like Win Shares/48 and Plus/Minus make me question whether he brings more to the table than Favors. I suppose he could be just what the doctor ordered, but I am not comfortable predicting that.

Right again. Jabari is definitely worse on D -- probably mainly due to lack of effort. Nikola is absolutely not terrible, but some of the analytical numbers like Win Shares/48 and Plus/Minus make me question whether he brings more to the table than Favors. I suppose he could be just what the doctor ordered, but I am not comfortable predicting that.
The question is not WHAT the production is, but HOW it is produced and how it fits with our roster.

Looking at broad numbers - even advanced ones - only tell a fraction of the story. If it told the whole story, Favors would play more than 23 MPG in the regular season and more than 20 MPG in the playoffs.

Tobias Harris is the only upgrade over Favors at 4 that are realistic. Not Parker, not Mirotic, not Portis. I can't believe the lack of respect the guy still gets, and the utter fascination with a "stretch 4". Sign a Crowder replacement and we're set there.

The question is not WHAT the production is, but HOW it is produced and how it fits with our roster.

Looking at broad numbers - even advanced ones - only tell a fraction of the story. If it told the whole story, Favors would play more than 23 MPG in the regular season and more than 20 MPG in the playoffs.
Agree 100%. Haven't suggested anything to the contrary. Just hard to know what the answer is until you actually make the change: could be great; could be terrible; could be something in between. I just think certain posters and fans undervalue what Favors brings to the table. And I concede that I might overvalue what he brings to the table.

Lakers cleared room for another max deal.

LAC attracting Butler and Leonard.

Jazz can't stay pat. Need to keep improving.

Probably off topic, but Kanter was asked about Zion, and he basically said he didn’t understand the hype and said Zion is basically a more athletic Julius Randle.

Jabari never said he wont play defense. He said he sticks to his strengths and doesnt know if he'll ever be good on defense, since pretty much no one is in the NBA. He disagreed that it was his weakness and that if its his weakness then its just about everyones weakness in the NBA. He was saying that offense is more important. Good offense beats good defense is what he is saying. He puts effort in on defense. He looked solid last time he was in the playoffs on defense. I think his comments have been misconstrued and exaggerated.

Jabari never said he wont play defense. He said he sticks to his strengths and doesnt know if he'll ever be good on defense, since pretty much no one is in the NBA. He disagreed that it was his weakness and that if its his weakness then its just about everyones weakness in the NBA. He was saying that offense is more important. Good offense beats good defense is what he is saying. He puts effort in on defense. He looked solid last time he was in the playoffs on defense. I think his comments have been misconstrued and exaggerated.
Yeah, except the numbers seem to confirm he doesn't play much defense.

With this Lakers deal the move is to now put an Alex Caruso offer sheet on their desk as soon as the moratorium is lifted. Once he accepts an offer his cap hold jumps up... even with it moving just a little they don't have max space until they waive his restricted rights.

And that is how we get the biggest prize in FA!

Damn the Lakers are making miracles happen. LeBron, AD, Kuz AND another maz guy? They are also gonna have their pick of the minimum litter.

We need to make this Favors decision impactful. We need to turn him into something of value and turn the space into something special.

And no, I don't mean Niko freaking Mirotic.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah, except the numbers seem to confirm he doesn't play much defense.

His defensive numbers in the playoffs are pretty similar to Mirotic's. But I place almost no stock in individual defensive stats. They are really poor outside of maybe rim protection numbers for your Center. Bucks put up decent defensive team stats with him on the court when he was on their team.

His defensive rating wasnt good this year but it was the same as Harris, Saric, Doncic, Aldridge, Gasol, Gallinari, and Udoh.

His defensive real plus minus rating is bad but its better than Jae Crowders and Bobby Portis's.

His defensive win shares are not good but it was the same as JaMychal's, Simmons, Julious Randle's,

Those numbers are all over the place.

Damn the Lakers are making miracles happen. LeBron, AD, Kuz AND another maz guy? They are also gonna have their pick of the minimum litter.

We need to make this Favors decision impactful. We need to turn him into something of value and turn the space into something special.

And no, I don't mean Niko freaking Mirotic.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
Like what then? There isnt really much out there to turn him into. More likely to use his salary to turn into someone else via trade and thats more likely later.