What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Randle??? we don't need the creation... we don't need him now.

Harris??? Jeebus we have done this a thousand times... he ain't taking the paycut it'd take. May as well say we should go for KD.
We should push for Tobias until he is not an option. We should prioritize Randle over all other options.

Trade Favors and Bradley to Sacramento for some of their 2020 2nd rounders. Sign Randle and Reed.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Go ahead and list the ones that will go for cheap and let's see if they get more than 4.8M. We need a SF/PF not a PF/C if we keep Favs... so use that when you are making your list.
We need a PF. If we keep Favors we still have Ingles and Royce as our primary 3s. We could use a SG as well or a SG/SF.

Mike Scott, Dante Cunningham, Anthony Tolliver, Skal Labissiere, Alex Poythress, Luol Deng, Ariza, Bender, Corey Brewer, Demarre Carroll, Wilson Chandler, Sam Dekker, Jared Dudley, James Ennis, Rudy Gay, Jeff Green, Hezonja, House, Stanley Johnson, Maxi Kleber, Jarrell Martin, Trey Lyles, Darius Miller, Mike Muscala, Thabo, Marvin Williams.

Some of those might not be good enough but have some potential and some might go for more. But that is leaving off at least 10+ players that will probably get MLE money or more.

Some decent players are going to be out of the NBA next year due to the amount of money and the number of FAs this year. Some will be had for cheap.

The point is that Niko is attainable but Harris really isn’t. If we’re willing to consider Harris, are we not willing to ask the question on Niko, given that he’s actually attainable?

I think there is still a possibility on Harris. We can sign and trade for him. It does not even have to be 76ers on the other end. But that is dependent on Harris wanting to be here over other spots.

But yes, I would consider Niko, like I have said if he is cheap. I think there are players just as good or better in our system for cheap. But just a swap of Favors for Niko makes our team worse next season. I am not sure I would be interested in Niko for more than slightly above MLE. He is only a career 35% shooter and last season 36%. Hes only had one season of really good 3 point shooting and has always been a below average defender.

I think there is still a possibility on Harris. We can sign and trade for him. It does not even have to be 76ers on the other end. But that is dependent on Harris wanting to be here over other spots.

But yes, I would consider Niko, like I have said if he is cheap. I think there are players just as good or better in our system for cheap. But just a swap of Favors for Niko makes our team worse next season. I am not sure I would be interested in Niko for more than slightly above MLE. He is only a career 35% shooter and last season 36%. Hes only had one season of really good 3 point shooting and has always been a below average defender.
The idea is that you get Niko for less than Favors, use the difference on someone else, then have the room exception. With Favors you just have the room exception.

IMHO I don't see the FO releasing Favs. Not because of "friendship" reasons, but rather because they want to see if adding Conley helps with the Favs & Gobert lineup. If not then they have a major trade piece at the deadline.

Replacing Favors with Niko would make us much much worse. In fact I think he is the most overrated player this board has ever brought up.

I like Redick, but we need to use our money on other positions. With Donovan, Royce and even Exum as SG options, I think we need to focus more on PF, SF and backup C if we let Favors go.

In today's NBA you can NEVER have enough good outside 3 point shooters! Forget the PF, SF and backup C! We need shooters who can actually shoot!

We need a PF. If we keep Favors we still have Ingles and Royce as our primary 3s. We could use a SG as well or a SG/SF.

Mike Scott, Dante Cunningham, Anthony Tolliver, Skal Labissiere, Alex Poythress, Luol Deng, Ariza, Bender, Corey Brewer, Demarre Carroll, Wilson Chandler, Sam Dekker, Jared Dudley, James Ennis, Rudy Gay, Jeff Green, Hezonja, House, Stanley Johnson, Maxi Kleber, Jarrell Martin, Trey Lyles, Darius Miller, Mike Muscala, Thabo, Marvin Williams.

Some of those might not be good enough but have some potential and some might go for more. But that is leaving off at least 10+ players that will probably get MLE money or more.

Some decent players are going to be out of the NBA next year due to the amount of money and the number of FAs this year. Some will be had for cheap.

Williams and Skal are under contract. Then a bunch of those dudes are trash - Bender, Dekker, Lyles, Martin... Some unproven - Johnson, Poythress... then some are not stretch SF/PF types more just wings.

Bunch of those dudes will be well above 4.8M Ariza Kleber Rudy... The true list of what is good and available and fits our budget is so much smaller than you think.

The idea is that you get Niko for less than Favors, use the difference on someone else, then have the room exception. With Favors you just have the room exception.

It would have to be significantly less to sign a player that makes a difference. But even then I think there are better options than Niko. But I would consider him depending.

We should push for Tobias until he is not an option. We should prioritize Randle over all other options.

Trade Favors and Bradley to Sacramento for some of their 2020 2nd rounders. Sign Randle and Reed.

For this roster Niko is far better than Randle... while we push for Tobias on the 1% we can get him we miss on a guy that we are likely to get... there is an opportunity cost for shooting the moon.

If you think Harris is worth the max to this roster... then you should be elated to get Niko at around 12M and have space to address other needs.

Williams and Skal are under contract. Then a bunch of those dudes are trash - Bender, Dekker, Lyles, Martin... Some unproven - Johnson, Poythress... then some are not stretch SF/PF types more just wings.

Bunch of those dudes will be well above 4.8M Ariza Kleber Rudy... The true list of what is good and available and fits our budget is so much smaller than you think.
There are still plenty of options there. Also some of those you think will be higher cant be. Plenty of teams are not in need of a PF. There are too many PFs to get signed everywhere for that price that are good. Like I said there are at least 10 other players going for much more at that position that will tie up most teams money at that spot. We also have a situation that players will want to sign for less with. We have a PF position that will get plenty of minutes if they play well and on a good playoff team. The can prove themselves and get a big paycheck next year.

But we will see what some of them go for.

IMHO I don't see the FO releasing Favs. Not because of "friendship" reasons, but rather because they want to see if adding Conley helps with the Favs & Gobert lineup. If not then they have a major trade piece at the deadline.

Replacing Favors with Niko would make us much much worse. In fact I think he is the most overrated player this board has ever brought up.
Totally agree re Niko. I don't get the love: it seems to be based on a 25-game stretch with an underperforming and out-of-contention Bulls team. He's never replicated that stretch at any other time in his career.

I think we should seriously explore the European role player market. I'm not talking about stars here. Pure role players that defend and shoot.

I still want Nikola Kalinic. He's exactly what I envision as depth/rotation piece off the bench who can defend and shoot a bit. He's not a superstar in Europe so he's not overpaid and we can probably give him competitive offer. Nicolo Melli is another one. We should just target role players in Europe for a role player spot on our roster. Easier transition, lower compensation... probably easier to draw them in. Go find the next Royce O'Neal and don't worry if he's scoring 8 points a game in Europe. If he can defend and shoot and dribble twice without turning it over, just get them over.
Fenerbahçe, after a disappointing season, will probably downsize. They spent lots of money over 5 seasons and basketball isn't very profitable in Europe. Their football club had its worst season and they will focus on that. They have serious debts so it will be easy to poach Kalinic and Melli.

If you got a verbal commitment at 4/48 for Niko and that he was cool with you either frontloading or backloading it you could shop around with like 6-7 M to spend on 1 or 2 guys and get much better quality to your depth. I can see 6M getting Carroll or Ellington. If it turns out we can't get anything really good with the 6-7M you can frontload the contract for Niko and it will look better and better as he ages.

Totally agree re Niko. I don't get the love: it seems to be based on a 25-game stretch with an underperforming and out-of-contention Bulls team. He's never replicated that stretch at any other time in his career.

Niko was very good in the Pels' series vs. the Blazers a year ago. But he's been inconsistent and is barely passable, if that, on defense.

ESPN now reporting that Eric Gordon of the Rockets is now up for grabs! Seems like more than a decent 3 point shooter! Should the Jazz be interested? ABSOLUTELY!

We would be paying him for roughly his average career production... which per 36 his career numbers are 18/9 on 42/36/81 shooting splits. We aren't expecting to get the guy that went 24/9 on 47/43/82... if he was that he would be getting a max type deal.

He has the ability to get nuclear hot... he could also disappear at times... he'd be our fifth best starter... that is kind of what fifth starters do. The difference is he'd provide space when he is out there no matter what... so the other guys will have more room to operate. He'd also be under contract longer and be a long term piece.

If you could find a stretch 4 who is a lock down defender I would very much prefer that... those guys aren't out there and aren't cheap when they are. Niko ain't perfect, but there is a lot to like.

We pick up JJ Redick and Eric Gordon in addition to what we've got now.....that's called "DECK STACKING" we now become hands down favorites to win the West! It's only money. I say the Jazz DO IT!

I could see the Jazz:
a) inquiring about Khris Middleton, but not getting far
b) pursuing Tobias Harris, but not signing him -- they like him but may not want to pay $30M
c) pursuing a sign-and-trade of Favors/Neto to the Clippers for Danilo Gallinari
d) offering Mirotic $15M/year and renouncing Favors' option -- the Jazz would then pursue another big in free agency