What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Yes, but to do this re-negotiate deal we have to waive him... otherwise we are guaranteeing the amount. It isn't an opt in... it is do nothing and the full amount is guaranteed or waive him... if you waive him he has to clear waivers prior to signing with us... any team could pick him up if they have the space.

So I'm wrong, I admit it. I didn't know he had to clear waivers.

Like I said earlier, I'm not even sold on keeping him at his $17+ number. So in the very unlikely event that we do waive Favors and another team decides to pick up his $17+ one year contract, then so be it. I don't think any team wants to pay him that much for one year, but maybe it happens.

And if another team picks him up, then we know we're moving on. We can always say we tried to waive him to re-sign him but he got picked up. That's an easier band-aid to pull.

If another team picks Favors off waivers (heh), that's also less money on the market.

I'm down.

I still think DL needs to approach the draft with the mindset of trading Favors + pick for somebody on a rookie contract who can play the 4. Maybe I'm a biased fan, but I think he has value on a one year, 17 million contact. One of these rebuilding teams with cap space could use that contract, and probably flip him again at the deadline to accumulate more assets.

So I'm wrong, I admit it. I didn't know he had to clear waivers.

Like I said earlier, I'm not even sold on keeping him at his $17+ number. So in the very unlikely event that we do waive Favors and another team decides to pick up his $17+ one year contract, then so be it. I don't think any team wants to pay him that much for one year, but maybe it happens.

And if another team picks him up, then we know we're moving on. We can always say we tried to waive him to re-sign him but he got picked up. That's an easier band-aid to pull.

The best use of Favs at this point is to guarantee his salary and use him in a trade or waive him and move on. If he is on the roster next year it is because we failed to find an upgrade in FA and trade. I don't know how legal it is but I think if we guarantee his deal in a trade for Mike Conley we could do it at draft time with our 2019 pick and preserve either 12-15M in space or stay over the cap and preserve the MLE and BAE. Going to FA and missing on Harris then completing a Conley trade using cap space and a 2020 pick leaves us with the room MLE and hurts going forward.

Getting the deal done at the deadline would have been just effing great looking back. Could have done Rubio and Exum with Thabo... kept Favs and all our exceptions. If Exum was really the hangup it was stupid AF to say no.

The best use of Favs at this point is to guarantee his salary and use him in a trade or waive him and move on. If he is on the roster next year it is because we failed to find an upgrade in FA and trade. I don't know how legal it is but I think if we guarantee his deal in a trade for Mike Conley we could do it at draft time with our 2019 pick and preserve either 12-15M in space or stay over the cap and preserve the MLE and BAE. Going to FA and missing on Harris then completing a Conley trade using cap space and a 2020 pick leaves us with the room MLE and hurts going forward.

Getting the deal done at the deadline would have been just effing great looking back. Could have done Rubio and Exum with Thabo... kept Favs and all our exceptions. If Exum was really the hangup it was stupid AF to say no.
If Exum was the holdup, I would think about firing Lindsey right ****ing now.

If they can tuck him into any deal that nets a player, they have to.

If Exum was the holdup, I would think about firing Lindsey right ****ing now.

If they can tuck him into any deal that nets a player, they have to.

Once we got Favs under contract I am not sure why we didn't play a little hardball with Exum. If his deal was like $6M a year I think we could get off it easier and that delta is somewhat meaningful even if we did keep him. If he took QO that $10m in space would be quite helpful in the math and maneuvering we are doing right now.

If we make a deal that includes Exum as outgoing salary that has to be viewed as a decent benefit of the trade.

Once we got Favs under contract I am not sure why we didn't play a little hardball with Exum. If his deal was like $6M a year I think we could get off it easier and that delta is somewhat meaningful even if we did keep him. If he took QO that $10m in space would be quite helpful in the math and maneuvering we are doing right now.

If we make a deal that includes Exum as outgoing salary that has to be viewed as a decent benefit of the trade.

I think DL was trying to avoid making the Hayward mistake in RFA again, and that's why he overpaid Exum.

I think DL was trying to avoid making the Hayward mistake in RFA again, and that's why he overpaid Exum.

Except Exum has never been good, but whatever.

This and this... and I will add... there wasn't a ton of space out there so MLE should have been the upper limit imo. Houston waited out Capela and Orlando got a pretty solid bargain on Gordon. At very least I had hoped third year would not be fully guaranteed.

2zui0x.jpg

I'm okay with the idea of guaranteeing/using Favors in a draft day trade, but I still don't like the idea of Conley for that price. $30.5, $32.5 and $34.5 the next three years in addition to losing a 1st, Favors, Rubio, Exum and any free agent who might actually want to sign here.

I'm okay with the idea of guaranteeing/using Favors in a draft day trade, but I still don't like the idea of Conley for that price. $30.5, $32.5 and $34.5 the next three years in addition to losing a 1st, Favors, Rubio, Exum and any free agent who might actually want to sign here.
- Conley only has two more years left.
- The free agents who may want to sign here (of this crop) aren't as good as Conley. They're basically a bunch of quarters that we'd be trying to add up to a dollar.

There’s still s lot of people here looking at signing Tier 1 and 2 FAs. Trades and the draft are the only way the Jazz can get talent that moves the needle. I think the FO should concentrate in those scenarios.

- Conley only has two more years left.
- The free agents who may want to sign here (of this crop) aren't as good as Conley. They're basically a bunch of quarters that we'd be trying to add up to a dollar.

So $32.5 and $34.5 the next two years to add Conley while acknowledging that we are giving up Favors, Rubio, Exum, a 1st rounder and cap space for two offseasons to do it.

So it's Conley and whoever will take our $8.6 million MLE that we can use either this summer or next. I'd pass on that.

There’s still s lot of people here looking at signing Tier 1 and 2 FAs. Trades and the draft are the only way the Jazz can get talent that moves the needle. I think the FO should concentrate in those scenarios.
The Jazz shouldn't do anything to close doors that are open to them. Like any team, they need to use their best analysis of their situation and the landscape at hand and decide from there. I don't disagree that trades and the draft give the Jazz the most control and have particular value there, but if they think there's a real possibility to improve the team with a key signing or two and not have to jettison assets in the process, that's valid.

I think Conley is a better player than anyone we would be able to land in free agency. I would rather have Kemba, Harris or Middleton but the only one of those 3 I think we actually have a shot at is Harris and even with him we won't be the frontrunners. To me the only valuable thing we would really be giving up to trade for Conley is Favors. Rubio's gone either way, this is a very weak draft so our pick isn't valuable and Exum is constantly injured and hasn't been very good even when healthy. Favors is great but he plays the same position as our best player which means he only averages 23 minutes and never finishes games. I would have absolutely no problem with trading Favors, Exum and our 2019 first for Conley.

The jazz should of played more Joe ingles in pick and roll situations against the rockets. He's the best playmaker they have. For some reason donovan kept getting the ball at the top and shooting bricks the hole series. Terrible game plan. Anyone in the team could of done what donovan did in the playoffs just shoot and miss. He's a great talent but not as good as everyone thinks. I hope he's not Monte.... They need a good shooting wing