What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

We are stuck in mediocrity because of our conservative nature . We are only here because of some lucky trades. He must make trades to keep us in this thing. Or he gets fired.

Saw some interesting notes on kevin Love's contract and trade status via Hoopshype (originally from the athletic)...

Basically 5 NBA executives think that contract is quite a bit underwater and won't be moved without including additional value. Thought if he was a free agent he'd get 3 years for 60-75M... maybe 4th year if it was partially guaranteed. He has 4/120M... so consensus was they are about $50M underwater.

@infection has been on the watch us get Kevin Love bandwagon. There is a scenario where we use up cap space then maybe move other pieces (Dante, Jae, Bradley, Kyle) and try it... but I don't see us giving up 1st round pick type value for Love in any scenario.

Saw some interesting notes on kevin Love's contract and trade status via Hoopshype (originally from the athletic)...

Basically 5 NBA executives think that contract is quite a bit underwater and won't be moved without including additional value. Thought if he was a free agent he'd get 3 years for 60-75M... maybe 4th year if it was partially guaranteed. He has 4/120M... so consensus was they are about $50M underwater.

@infection has been on the watch us get Kevin Love bandwagon. There is a scenario where we use up cap space then maybe move other pieces (Dante, Jae, Bradley, Kyle) and try it... but I don't see us giving up 1st round pick type value for Love in any scenario.

I do think Love is a possibility, but I see it being the last resort like @infection has been saying. If we miss out on every other option, I could see us trading Kyle and Bradley for Love. I wouldn't give up a future 1st though. Maybe a couple 2nd's. Maybe.

I do think Love is a possibility, but I see it being the last resort like @infection has been saying. If we miss out on every other option, I could see us trading Kyle and Bradley for Love. I wouldn't give up a future 1st though. Maybe a couple 2nd's. Maybe.

If they though they could get some guard/wing help with $25-27M in space they could do Dante, Jae, Kyle, Bradley pre-free agency and do it. Essentially a salary dump but we get to include Exum's bad money to help offset some of the Love albatross. Would preserve a lot of cap space and address the stretch 4 need. Then you'd have to nab Brogdon or a similar tiered FA to address other needs.

I'm not advocating it by any means... just saying there is maybe a palatable situation where it happens.

If they though they could get some guard/wing help with $25-27M in space they could do Dante, Jae, Kyle, Bradley pre-free agency and do it. Essentially a salary dump but we get to include Exum's bad money to help offset some of the Love albatross. Would preserve a lot of cap space and address the stretch 4 need. Then you'd have to nab Brogdon or a similar tiered FA to address other needs.

I'm not advocating it by any means... just saying there is maybe a palatable situation where it happens.

If we get Love, I really hope it isn't before free agency. I think that would lead to a fan uprising. If we got Love before we even found out if we could get Kemba or Tobias, fans would be irate.

If we strike out on everything but still decide to let Rubio walk, we could trade Korver, Bradley and our cap space for Love.

As with any risky, high-paid player, Dante Exum has to be included for me to be interested. It’s like getting an $11 discount on whoever’s deal for the next two years.

I know I’m going to take a lot of flak for this but bare with me. What would the Celtics want for Hayward?

If you can get Love without sending any real assets (a real player or 1st rounder), include Exum, and still have room to go shopping, then I am interested. Anything short of that scenario and I am probably out.

If you can get Love without sending any real assets (a real player or 1st rounder), include Exum, and still have room to go shopping, then I am interested. Anything short of that scenario and I am probably out.

For me, we would have to get an asset in addition to Love in order for me to consider taking Love. Cleveland won't do that though. They have two extra first rounders (Houston 2019 and Milwaukee 2022). I would demand one of those if we took Love's awful contract.

Yeah, I sometimes think about that, but I don’t think the Jazz would ever consider that. The particulars of his departure says there is a lot of bad blood.

Had he left the right way the doors might be open... he really botched the execution of his departure.

Hell just telling DL "hey don't make any moves to satisfy me. I haven't made my decision, but I am definitely serious about pursuing other opportunities." I would have been less salty about him leaving. The tea leaves I read seemed to indicate that he told DL that if he did A, B, and C that there was a good chance he was returning. He just needed to be direct and honest and he wasn't.

I wouldn't love it (pun not intended), but buying an overpriced guy that fits a need and has some potential for a bounceback would make sense... if accompanied with other moves.

For me, we would have to get an asset in addition to Love in order for me to consider taking Love. Cleveland won't do that though. They have two extra first rounders (Houston 2019 and Milwaukee 2022). I would demand one of those if we took Love's awful contract.
Cleveland won’t send assets at this stage because of optics alone. The Jazz won’t have cap after next year and Ingles is going to noticeably decline sooner than later, so the Jazz HAVE to do something this off-season. They would probably have to send nominal assets to get it done. Exum is perfect in this way: saves the Jazz money, the Cavs can sell that they want Exum. Bradley works in a similar way. Hopefully that means they wouldn’t have to send a 2nd since that clip is starting to run low.

Had he left the right way the doors might be open... he really botched the execution of his departure.

Hell just telling DL "hey don't make any moves to satisfy me. I haven't made my decision, but I am definitely serious about pursuing other opportunities." I would have been less salty about him leaving. The tea leaves I read seemed to indicate that he told DL that if he did A, B, and C that there was a good chance he was returning. He just needed to be direct and honest and he wasn't.
Well, he also never personally talked with anyone in the organization, including his own teammates.

I know I’m going to take a lot of flak for this but bare with me. What would the Celtics want for Hayward?

Hayward the player I wouldn't mind bringing back. But Hayward the person makes the whole idea a hell no for me. He has an attitude/character that I don't want anywhere near this team. He showed his true colors in the way he left.

I must admit this thought has crossed my mind a few times lately as well. I'm not sure he'll ever completely get back to the player he was pre injury but I think he'll get close and we all know how well Quins system suites him. I'd take him over Love.

Well, he also never personally talked with anyone in the organization, including his own teammates.

Yup even a call after the fact... just saying sorry the message delivery really got effed up... would have gone a long way.

I must admit this thought has crossed my mind a few times lately as well. I'm not sure he'll ever completely get back to the player he was pre injury but I think he'll get close and we all know how well Quins system suites him. I'd take him over Love.

Part of his deal is mental. He also seems to be on the least fun good nba team and looks joyless and uncomfortable... after spending 20 minutes with joe he’d get back most of his mojo.

I don’t think either GM could swallow they pride and make it happen. I do think when Kyrie bails he will start to get back to the player he was... he will never have a year as good as his last Utah year.

The Boston vitriol towards Kyrie is awesome. When he leaves and they can’t replace him this team gonna be ****... I believe there is a tampering and IT injury mismanagement curse that will haunt them.

Hayward the player I wouldn't mind bringing back. But Hayward the person makes the whole idea a hell no for me. He has an attitude/character that I don't want anywhere near this team. He showed his true colors in the way he left.

Never heard of any attitude problems, attitude or anything like that. Could he have handled leaving better, yes, but no one is perfect. With that said, I’d love to have Hayward the person/player, but not the contract tied to him.