What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

I don’t think Charlotte is including Bridges in any kind of salary dump. I don’t think they’d send two 1st either. So that would be a no for me.

Batum + Bridges and a 1st and you’ve got me at the table and ready to pull the trigger.

I still believe the core (Gobert, Mitchell, Quin, and a stable of versatile 6’ 8”-ish guys) is a move or two from substantial improvement, especially improving who will primarily play the 4 on this team (as oppose to starting a 5, then cobbling together all the other minutes at the position game-by-game.).

I feel like Batum has the skill-set to play an Ingles-type role, and he’s always fared as well as he’s feeling about his situation. Bridges could at long last be our answer as the primary 4 on this team.

That still leaves a lot of questions about what the hell is going to happen at the PG spot, but if you can get Bridges then you seriously consider it.

Charlotte won't move Bridges imo... I think they'd do a first and Monk to unload Batum, but I'm not a Monk fan. Could probably find a 3rd team willing to give a late first for him though.

Don't think we are interested in that at all though. But if we are going to say Batum is washed and not worth his contract (he isn't worth what he is paid) let's not assume that Kevin Love (who is 100 days older and currently not healthy and has missed more games due to injury) is still in his prime. Love is and has been a much better player over his career, but his age decline may end up being worse than Batum's.... and his deal runs 2 years longer. Just not sure why we'd give a pick (at a minimum) for one guy and get a pick (at a minimum) for the other.

Again... I think DL is convinced he can land a FA. So I doubt he goes for the expensive declining vet and the draft pick mystery box... we shall see.

The Hornets said they would add in Frank Kaminsky as sweetener to get off Batum.

That's obviously ridiculous, but they will probably have to go Monk and/or a 1st to get off Batum. I don't see them going Bridges.

I think Charlotte would likely be more interested in sending Marvin Williams and a 1st for Jae and salary filler. They don't take a step back in talent but get some salary relief... they are in a tax conundrum if they keep Kemba. We'd preserve some ability to go on the FA market still and Marvin can play stretch 4 for us.

The Hornets said they would add in Frank Kaminsky as sweetener to get off Batum.

That's obviously ridiculous, but they will probably have to go Monk and/or a 1st to get off Batum. I don't see them going Bridges.

Agree... they had a report earlier in the season that they clearly put out there that there was a lot of trade interest in Marvin Williams, but they'd want a first to move him or some BS.

I think Charlotte would likely be more interested in sending Marvin Williams and a 1st for Jae and salary filler. They don't take a step back in talent but get some salary relief... they are in a tax conundrum if they keep Kemba. We'd preserve some ability to go on the FA market still and Marvin can play stretch 4 for us.
Yeah, I would not like that.

Crower is probably less efficient, but his upper-range of performance is way better than Marvin's.

Yeah, I would not like that.

Crower is probably less efficient, but his upper-range of performance is way better than Marvin's.

Crowder can get more volume... agreed. I think Marvin might be more steady and might be a better defender... IDK though because I don't watch enough Hornets. I'd be hoping to upgrade the position in FA and have Marv be a backup... gives us another draft mystery box that might be something.

The only way I take Batum is if they send Bridges.

Simply put - the Hornets need to win now to appease Kemba. Of Favors, Bridges and Batum, I think Favors is the best player right now AND he addresses some of the needs that Charlotte has in the post, rebounding and defense. I would argue that Charlotte has a better chance of making the playoffs with Favors and Thabo than they do with Batum and Bridges. I don't know if we would do Favors and Thabo straight up for Batum and Bridges, but it would be a very interesting conversation.

Which one do you think is the biggest problem? power foward 3 shooting or a more efficient point guard?
for me these are the two biggest problems

Which one do you think is the biggest problem? power foward 3 shooting or a more efficient point guard?

Good question. Between those two, I would say PG.

However, if Rubio can have his usual 2nd half surge, a better fit at PF (and sustained health) could be enough for us to challenge pretty much anybody. Last year, we didn't have the ideal PF but we beat OKC. Without Rubio, we still one a 2nd round game. With Rubio and an ideal PF, I think we could have really challenged Houston. The biggest question about Rubio is can he replicate the great 2nd halves of the last two years? In his first 4-5 seasons in Minnesota, he never had a "great run". The last two years he has. So much is riding on his shoulders so I would say a good PG solves more of our issues than just a stretch 4.

However, if Rubio can have his usual 2nd half surge, a better fit at PF (and sustained health) could be enough for us to challenge pretty much anybody. Last year, we didn't have the ideal PF but we beat OKC. Without Rubio, we still one a 2nd round game. With Rubio and an ideal PF, I think we could have really challenged Houston. The biggest question about Rubio is can he replicate the great 2nd halves of the last two years? In his first 4-5 seasons in Minnesota, he never had a "great run". The last two years he has. So much is riding on his shoulders so I would say a good PG solves more of our issues than just a stretch 4.
That Pg your looking for. His name is Dante

really favors is an excellent power forward, but his game does not always fit with gobert.
Rick is very unstable. despite being a good defender
the big questions are:
What PG is possible for us?
trade favors for it?

hello guys, is my first time here
i am brazilian
forgive for my mistakes in orthography
I love Utah Jazz
C’mon man... stay on subject. I’m joking. I hope your not an alt.
Don’t listen to the idiots that say we need a pg. had the jazz listened to me and signed BJelly we’d be in the playoffs and a much deeper team. What we need is a good to great stretch 4 that can do a little of everything. Either Mitchell or Exum is the future at pg, I prefer DM. A good shooting playmaking 4 would unlock the offense.

We need more creation and more shooting regardless of what position it comes from... more athleticism on the perimeter would be great...