What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

We should do that yesterday... but that won't get it done. I think they want a young good player (likely on a rookie deal). They will do much better than that and have no reason to panic.
I think you guys don't realise that Dante has such elite attributes and improving fast. When he finishes better cause he is improving fast. He gets to the basket whenever he wants to. There is only like probably 5-10 other people in the league to do it. Just think when he gets better finishing it's all over. They either go to him or he throw the lob to gobert or passes to other open shooters.

Batum is a hell no from me, that contract is worse than Hayward's contract. At least Hayward has potential to return to all star form, Batum looks washed even back in his natural position this year.

Due to injuries and him being the most raw prospect in the history of the nba, he still has plenty of room to grow, and he may just need to be thrown into a bigger role. He needs a years experience of trial and error to get it.

Not even close to this being true but I still believe in his upside

We should do that yesterday... but that won't get it done. I think they want a young good player (likely on a rookie deal). They will do much better than that and have no reason to panic.

True and true.

Hopefully it draws out and there isn't a perfect trade partner for them. I just don't see Dallas, New Orleans, Miami, Charlotte or some of the other buyers having the trade package similar to the one I'm proposing with 2 soon 1st rounders, a young player on a few year contract (Exum) and a serviceable but not too expensive additional player (Favors).
Dallas can't send a pick until 2021 but they could send Dennis Smith Jr. but they have Wall
NOLA doesn't have an Exum type young player
Miami is missing a draft pick in 2021 but does have Richardson they could send
Charlotte doesn't have a good young player unless they deal Bridges and no other serviceable player to send

We should play the heck out of Exum the next couple weeks. If he has a couple big games....

Batum and Parker have a longer National team history, but it hasn't improved Batum's play.

Good point. I just wonder and you might know - is Charlotte that bad? If Batum was playing next to Gobert, Mitchell and Ingles would he have a better chance to shine? Is he asked to do too much now, or is the iso ball just never going his way? I never watch Charlotte so I don't know.

Batum is a hell no from me, that contract is worse than Hayward's contract. At least Hayward has potential to return to all star form, Batum looks washed even back in his natural position this year.

Would you rather have Batum and 2 firsts or Love and give a first up in the deal?

My answer is neither, but if forced to choose I'd take the Batum deal.

If Charlotte does not trade Kemba they will dump salary somewhere. Batum and Williams are guys I could see fitting in and filling needs, but are obviously really overpaid. They may wait until after FA opens, but the report kind of gives the impression they are a little desperate. Getting a pick in the teens has a chance of turning into something really good... it's only like a 10-20% chance... but still a chance.

I don't know if he is washed or just disinterested or too passive. He is efficient with his opportunities, but his usage has fallen off a cliff. It's weird.

I wonder if Charlotte has a more than usual interest in Grayson Allen since he spent so much time in Carolina. If we added him as a sweetener to a Charlotte deal to make it:

Favors, Thabo and Grayson
for
Batum, Bridges, and their 2019 1st rounder

Would that be fair for both sides? Are we giving up too much? Taking back too little? I hate to give up on Grayson so early, but Bridges projects to be a starting SF or PF for us down the road, Batum helps some now, and who knows what the 1st rounder could be. The only thing we really sacrifice in this trade is summer cap space (which we aren't guaranteed to get anything) and Grayson Allen (which I'm not sure where we stand on him).

I wonder if Charlotte has a more than usual interest in Grayson Allen since he spent so much time in Carolina. If we added him as a sweetener to a Charlotte deal to make it:

for

Would that be fair for both sides? Are we giving up too much? Taking back too little? I hate to give up on Grayson so early, but Bridges projects to be a starting SF or PF for us down the road, Batum helps some now, and who knows what the 1st rounder could be. The only thing we really sacrifice in this trade is summer cap space (which we aren't guaranteed to get anything) and Grayson Allen (which I'm not sure where we stand on him).

I don't think Grayson moves the needle for anyone... even MJ. We are not just giving up cap space this year, but for two additional years. I like Bridges a lot... so I probably would do it. I don't think Batum is washed either and would fit in the system... but I need to watch him. Batum is a decent rotation piece and I think Bridges is the playmaking stretch 4 we need going forward.

I think Bridges is somewhat untouchable for them.

We are not just giving up cap space this year, but for two additional years.

I'm really, really nervous about what this summer will or won't bring. So much pressure on DL to make something happen in a landscape when so many other teams (and bigger markets) are trying to do the same. I was so disappointed last summer that I have little faith in this coming summer. I should be more positive like @fishonjazz

Good point. I just wonder and you might know - is Charlotte that bad? If Batum was playing next to Gobert, Mitchell and Ingles would he have a better chance to shine? Is he asked to do too much now, or is the iso ball just never going his way? I never watch Charlotte so I don't know.
I don't watch them either, but his FGA/36mins and his usage rate is the lowest of his career, and his usage rate is amongst the lowest on the team - only Biyombo is lower. His minutes are still up, his other stats are still around his career marks, and his percentages are very good. He looks like he's the 5th option on offence no matter who else is on the court with him, so I wonder if coaching is the issue, not the player. Maybe our egalitarian offence would benefit him. And he's still a good three-point shooter.

Would you rather have Batum and 2 firsts or Love and give a first up in the deal?

My answer is neither, but if forced to choose I'd take the Batum deal.

If Charlotte does not trade Kemba they will dump salary somewhere. Batum and Williams are guys I could see fitting in and filling needs, but are obviously really overpaid. They may wait until after FA opens, but the report kind of gives the impression they are a little desperate. Getting a pick in the teens has a chance of turning into something really good... it's only like a 10-20% chance... but still a chance.

I don't know if he is washed or just disinterested or too passive. He is efficient with his opportunities, but his usage has fallen off a cliff. It's weird.
That's my answer too but if you put a gun to my head and forced me to trade for one of them I'd probably go Love, just because I think having a veteran with the Finals/Championship experience along with a guy who could be an effective 2nd option offensively to Mitchell.

I have real question marks over whether or not Love can effectively play PF going into his 30s with his injury history, he might end up being more of a C who can't really defend but can space the floor. But I have a lot more questions around Batum in general that I think after a couple of years Love becomes far more moveable than Batum does if the Jazz wanted to move them later on. I've had Batum on my fantasy team so I've watched a fair few Hornets games to figure out what the **** is wrong with him, and like you mentioned his usage rate is down but he's clearly a step slower than he was with the Blazers, and he's really unable to get past defenders on drives consistently and he also struggles staying in front of people defensively too.

I ignored the 1sts because if the Jazz are in win now mode I can't imagine Lindsey being that interested in getting two 1sts and taking on an albatross contract over losing a 1st to get a championship quality player on an albatross contract, and I also don't see any reason why Charlotte would move 1sts when Kemba has an upcoming FA where if he leaves the Hornets are a lottery team.

But again my #1 preference by a long way is neither.

I don't watch them either, but his FGA/36mins and his usage rate is the lowest of his career, and his usage rate is amongst the lowest on the team - only Biyombo is lower. His minutes are still up, his other stats are still around his career marks, and his percentages are very good. He looks like he's the 5th option on offence no matter who else is on the court with him, so I wonder if coaching is the issue, not the player. Maybe our egalitarian offence would benefit him. And he's still a good three-point shooter.

Thank you. If we got him, I hope it's coaching and not the player. I don't expect him to be some star, but a good stretch 4 type.

for

favors?
I think we need more to let him go
trade by a player who solves or has high potential
and Bridges it's not that dude

I've watched enough Hornets games to feel confident in saying that his FGA and his USG% are at career lows because he simply isn't the same athlete he was a few years ago. In Clifford's system there was a case to be made that he was being misused, but with Borrego the Hornets are playing much faster and Batum is back at SF instead of forced into the SG role, but he simply can't get by his man anymore and while his other numbers might be around his career averages, he's got paid on the assumption that he would provide closer to his numbers in the first couple of years with the Hornets instead of his current form. He can't really play point forward consistently either anymore, so I'm not really sure where you'd be able to find the production from him to make swallowing the contract even close to worth it.

He might be able to play stretch 4 but at the price tag I think you'd be better off paying Thabo vet min money or close to it, and using that money and finding a better option.

No thanks to Love.

No thanks to Batum.

Jazz blow all their flexibility for years by taking on those contracts.

I still think Favors, Exum and draft picks will be our best trade package for down the road.

If there’s no real good options heading into the trade deadline, then maybe you make a move to get a guy on an expiring that you want Bird rights for and then look to make a big deal leading up to the draft - just have to hope that Favors and Exum stay healthy and ball out for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
So let's break it down: Wiz want:

1st round pick - we give 2019
1st round pick - we give 2021
Young Player - Exum (they just said young player :))
Another Player - Favors

Is that fair? Is it what Washington wants? Is that something we would/should do?
I would do it I think.
How long would beal be under contract?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app