Game Thread Apr 07, 2021 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Suns

Added to Calendar: 04-07-21

yamers

im worried about the blazers game coming up.

they might be flat as hell after a ot battle.

LoPo

This game had all the signs of our playoff question marks....

- is Royce gonna clam up on offense and struggle on D?

- is the opponent going to attack Conley's defense and will Conley struggle on offense?

- will the opponent clamp down on Clarkson making him less effective?

- will Favors be useful or will we dread minutes Gobert sits?

- will Bojan rebound and defend at least at an average level?

- if all those questions above are answered the way we don't want, will Don have to be superman to keep us in games?

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

SteakNEggs

I pin this game on a complete lack of will and urgency, noting more. Shots will fall but it takes a legit effort to start a game off with a lot more focus and energy and it takes not being lazy and hustle to get a rebound. Phoenix simply wanted it more.

TheGoldStandard

I pin this game on a complete lack of will and urgency, noting more. Shots will fall but it takes a legit effort to start a game off with a lot more focus and energy and it takes not being lazy and hustle to get a rebound. Phoenix simply wanted it more.
I also blame to much "hero ball" mentality early in the shot clock. It becomes contagious.

The last couple games have been very stagnant on offense and defense. Open shots were also not falling last night, but there was a lot of bad decision making.

DasJazz

HYDRA refused to show up for the 2nd straight game and yet we took the 2nd best team to overtime on the road.

We are bound to have a lull here and there, especially after reeling off 9 straight wins. Just sucks that it had to happen against the Mavs and Suns.

In any event, I'm ready for a brand new winning streak!

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
HYDRA refused to show up for the 2nd straight game and yet we took the 2nd best team to overtime on the road.

We are bound to have a lull here and there, especially after reeling off 9 straight wins. Just sucks that it had to happen against the Mavs and Suns.

In any event, I'm ready for a brand new winning streak!
Problem is our lulls seem to come against good teams. Are they lulls?

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
The problem here is that we’re playing money ball. That’s not inherently wrong. You play the hand you’re dealt and hope to move forward. The problem with money ball is that it thrives in larger samples, but is very risky in small samples. The reason the house always wins is because they are placing drastically more bets than each guest individually, coupled with a very small advantage that’s not nearly as noticeable psychologically or in any given instance. That’s where we thrive. We will shoot our numbers.... over time. The playoffs are a small sample. When things clamp down, the calculus changes. It’s why we suck at rebounding despite our numbers, and I’ve been saying this for at least three seasons, so it’s not a new development. We can point to anomalies as to why games are won and lost, but each game will have anomalies, and any game that doesn’t itself will be an anomaly. Good teams find ways to win games. We’ve certainly done that this year. We’re not in first place for no reason. But, that said, the last two games we found ways to lose. We found ways to lose three games in a row against Denver. We had completely bested them that series. Then we found ways to lose.

We have shooting that should approximate our averages more in the future. But we’ve had a lot of games go the way of not being able to produce because we can’t throw it in the ocean. Do we remember the Houston series? We lost because we couldn’t hit a shot.m, with a non-shooting team. Unbelievably, I think we’re still capable of that in a playoff series, and if we blame it on flukes an anomalies, and that the money ball didn’t have a large enough sample to regress to the mean, well, it’s the playoffs... and your sample sizes are small. Ask the house how they’d feel if all their bets for a year got thrown into 7 scenarios. I’m certain they wouldn’t be going into that thinking the house always wins.