What's new

At what point is it time to get concerned about Hayward?

Is it not a fair question to ask 'how are the Jazz supposed to beat/outscore the Warriors'? /QUOTE]

Perfectly good question -- I'm just not sure who you are debating since it has nothing to do with my post that you quoted and seemed to take exception to.

As the season goes on, Hayward won't have enough time to lift weights, and his arms will shrink. Then he will find his shot again.

Then his arms won't be too big yo to shoot with.

Case Closed

Services provided by Hack P.I.

Post of the year material!

Not worried. Even if it continues all year. That would mean to me he's playing hurt. Maybe semi-seriously hurt. And if so, he'd get healthy and be a killer next season when Exum the Destroyer comes back.

As long as we win games I could't care less about Hayward's stats. This year feels different than last year. Gordon is no longer our only "go to" scorer. Favors is reliable, Hood is reliable, and Burks is a reliable scorer as well. Also, it seems like its pretty early in the season to start worrying about a player's performance.

As long as we win games I could't care less about Hayward's stats. This year feels different than last year. Gordon is no longer our only "go to" scorer. Favors is reliable, Hood is reliable, and Burks is a reliable scorer as well. Also, it seems like its pretty early in the season to start worrying about a player's performance.

I saw it's your 1st post, welcome to madness.

doors3.gif

I'm also now wondering if with Exum being out, Hayward's role has seemed to have changed this season, and if he is being counted on to facilitate more. That may explain his poor scoring and to a lesser extent, poor shooting. In short, he may just not feel comfortable in his new role yet.

Can anyone confirm or deny if his role, as mentioned, has seem to have changed?

Maybe Rockets should be concerned about regression on Harden? Shooting 25% this year and 13% from 3. They need to tear that **** down and salvage whatever the can before the secret on Harden is out.
Joking aside, you're smarter than this. The sample size is tiny.

Hayward's percentages are essentially where they were last year. The biggest difference after three games is his usage is down. He has shot roughly five fewer shots in five fewer minutes. I actually think this is a good team
It was clear that Gordon started getting burned out from overuse last year, and if we make the playoffs we will need fresh legs. Having Hood step up and Burks back makes us more balanced. Outside of forcing it on offense a bit, I have been really impressed with Hayward's passing, D, and overall game so far. We need more ball movement and assists. Hayward is the main reason our offense has been decent.

I actually think Hayward's slow start is good for the team. We're seeing other guys step up and be able to fill the role as a scorer/facilitator. Rodney Hood is doing that. In the past, the Jazz would struggle when Hayward went into his prolonged slumps. The Jazz are now better equipped to withstand this.

Hayward is so overrated. I would rather have Hood and Burks in the lineup any day of the week. He lost the Detroit game with his poor free-throw shooting. I'm still waiting on him to do anything that blows my mind. He is a white CJ Miles. Heck CJ has turned out to be a better player then Hayward is too this point of his career.

But, let the love feast of Hayward continue....

Hayward is so overrated. I would rather have Hood and Burks in the lineup any day of the week. He lost the Detroit game with his poor free-throw shooting. I'm still waiting on him to do anything that blows my mind. He is a white CJ Miles. Heck CJ has turned out to be a better player then Hayward is too this point of his career.

But, let the love feast of Hayward continue....

Lol. Love feast.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Hayward played really good defense on PG last night. It really looks like Hood and Burks are taking a lot of the load off of him, so I think he's going to adjust his game a bit. He's doing less ball handling this year than last.

@silesian

If you fail to see the connection - I'll break it down for you:

Who cares about middle of the pack offensive efficiency?? I certainly don't. That seems like a 'regular season stat' thru and thru.. Unless your on the extreme ends of the spectrum, It doesn't mean **** once you hit the playoffs, certainly not vs a team like the Warriors..

E.G. The Jazz had the 9th best offensive efficiency in the league in 2011-2012, then proceeded to score under 90 ppg in a 4 game sweep to the Spurs.. Haywards fingerprints were all over that too.. (Favors showed up to play that series though)..

Y'all seem to avoid talking about the playoffs and playoff scenarios quite a bit(yet I see constant hyper-critical complaints about the rookies).. As A Yankees fan, I think its hysterical.

I've learned its prudent not to just pay attention to your team, but the field -- and the Warriors are a pristine example, because you could argue they were the standard of excellence in the league wire-to-wire last season... Plus The Warriors team dynamic, is built to break the Jazz team dynamic, no?? quite easily IMO - Their an awful matchup for Utah in a 7 game series, even if they make a few upgrades...

More of an all around team game being played with a clear focus on Favors. I don't see that as regression, I see it as game planning by the coaching staff.

Definitely one of the best posts in this thread. Pretty much why I made it, I chose to word it a bit differently though..

I certainly would be SHOCKED if Haywards play fell off markedly... I'm thinking his stats kinda 'come back to earth' though, someone else noted his usage rate is down.. Alec's back, Hood will get more minutes. I don't see how he's gonna score 20ppg, unless there's injuries..

I've noted already in this thread - a steady progression of stats like Favors and Hayward have been doing the past few years, is more of an indicator for the Big, than the wing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Utah is not and never will be a team like the Knicks where everything goes through a wannabe superstar like Carmello and then they wonder why they lost. The Jazz have always had a mentality of team first ball. Whether you score 4 points or 40 is irrelevant in our offensive approach of ball movement and easy baskets.

let me ask you though, honestly --- Hows that worked for them over the years?!????? Is that what you'd classify as 'championship winning basketball'?:confused:?

This is a proven recipe for disaster in the playoffs ..Its a fallacy anyways, If the Jazz had Kevin Durant they'd feed him all the shots he wanted.. obviously..

Jazz gonna show up to a sword fight with the plan to inflict 100 paper cuts??

If what you've surmised is true - I say the proper course of action is to find a possible 1st option offense to rely on. To rely fully on team basketball in the playoffs is a foolhardy idea, there's too many moving parts involved, too much room for error -- A chain is only as strong as its weakest link...

If you think we're bad head on over to the Clutchfans. They are calling him "James Frauden" after 3 games...

I always recommend going to Clutchfans anyways. Its like an anti-depressant. You will feel better about yourself,
and your fan base after.