What's new

Coronavirus

Donald either doesn’t understand or doesn’t care why testing is key. It appears that he views it as detrimental to his re-election and doesn’t want increased capacity for testing and tracing. He feels like increased capacity will lead to increased case numbers, which makes it harder for him to claim that it’s safe to go out, which makes it harder for the economy to recovery, which dooms his re-election. All he cares about is giving off the impression that we’re fine so we give him 4 more years to lie to and plunder our country. That’s not good.

For those of you interested, South Korea is opening up safely and responsibly and this is how they did it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/whats-south-koreas-secret/611215/

And sorry but Apple should step the **** up and provide laptops to a bazillion districts and students. **** them too.

I don’t mind my iPhone, but give me a Chromebook any day of the week over a Mac. Apple will give no quarter considering they sell wheels for $700.

School districts here already use them and it doesn’t require a ton of processing power to access the internet anyway.

I don’t mind my iPhone, but give me a Chromebook any day of the week over a Mac. Apple will give no quarter considering they sell wheels for $700.

School districts here already use them and it doesn’t require a ton of processing power to access the internet anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we shutdown primarily to flatten the curve, and not overwhelm hospitals, correct?

Maybe it's different where you all are, but our hospitals are empty. Nothing going on. ER is open, you can take kids in to get their shots, and that's about it. They're laying people off because there's no work.

Waiting until there's a vaccine isn't feasible. We have over 30 million unemployed. The majority of hospitals have a ton of open beds. They have more equipment. I'm not saying go back to normal, but why shouldn't we slowly open while remaining cautious (keeping distance, washing hands, wearing masks, etc)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we shutdown primarily to flatten the curve, and not overwhelm hospitals, correct?

Maybe it's different where you all are, but our hospitals are empty. Nothing going on. ER is open, you can take kids in to get their shots, and that's about it. They're laying people off because there's no work.

Waiting until there's a vaccine isn't feasible. We have over 30 million unemployed. The majority of hospitals have a ton of open beds. They have more equipment. I'm not saying go back to normal, but why shouldn't we slowly open while remaining cautious (keeping distance, washing hands, wearing masks, etc)?

Exactly right. My wife works with COVID patients regularly, and she and her co-workers are taking turns taking unpaid leave because things are so slow. Although they have seen a spike in suicide attempt patients.

That doesn't mean we open the floodgates, but now is the time to begin the reopening certain areas.

Historically, hospitals are slowest in the summer, so logically, we want more exposure now rather than the already busier fall and winter seasons to help ensure hospitals are not overwhelmed.

I'm guessing herd immunity takes place before a vetted vaccine comes to market with enough doses to protect the population. An effective vaccine may never be created.

Chromebooks suck, dude.

I agree and have felt this way for quite a while.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

It's been a bit of a bait-and-switch. I get that saying that may be emotionally charge for some people reading, so I'll qualify saying that I'm not suggesting that appropriate steps haven't been taken to this point, but ultimately the reason we started this whole thing was primarily because of that. Now that the system hasn't been overwhelmed and there hasn't been a rationing of ventilators (notice that nobody has talked about ventilators for a very long time), we're now talking about not ending this until we've ramped up testing and contact tracing. I would imagine that despite that, we will then again pivot to where some people are currently where we're continuing this to some degree until there's a treatment or a vaccine, and I think a lot of people are being pushed into those opinions as a reaction from all the polarization.

Exactly right. My wife works with COVID patients regularly, and she and her co-workers are taking turns taking unpaid leave because things are so slow. Although they have seen a spike in suicide attempt patients.

That doesn't mean we open the floodgates, but now is the time to begin the reopening certain areas.

Historically, hospitals are slowest in the summer, so logically, we want more exposure now rather than the already busier fall and winter seasons to help ensure hospitals are not overwhelmed.

I'm guessing herd immunity takes place before a vetted vaccine comes to market with enough doses to protect the population. An effective vaccine may never be created.

I know for a fact that there are far many more suicide deaths in my area than Covid deaths. Can't say that all of them are related, but I do know the numbers are significantly higher than usual. I do think there is some cause and effect there.

I wish somebody in the news would talk about the suicides. The increase in domestic abuse (spouse and child). Those things matter too. They deserve more attention, imo.

Y
I got one of those Surface Pro's for work, and I hate it. What is a good, cheap, laptop? Would prefer a SSD if possible, but I ain't picky.
What do you not like about the surface pro? You want more of a laptop?

I would absolutely demand an SSD in any computer I bought today. That's the biggest performance difference you will get in any new computer.

A good cheap laptop will cost more and perform significantly worse than a good cheap desktop PC. And with a desktop PC you can purchase a very inexpensive keyboard that will absolutely be more enjoyable to use than any laptop keyboard I've ever seen.

Y

What do you not like about the surface pro? You want more of a laptop?

I would absolutely demand an SSD in any computer I bought today. That's the biggest performance difference you will get in any new computer.

A good cheap laptop will cost more and perform significantly worse than a good cheap desktop PC. And with a desktop PC you can purchase a very inexpensive keyboard that will absolutely be more enjoyable to use than any laptop keyboard I've ever seen.

It's kinda glitchy. Just doesn't seem to perform well.

The wife wants something portable, and I already have a desktop. I much prefer desktops to laptops.

I know for a fact that there are far many more suicide deaths in my area than Covid deaths. Can't say that all of them are related, but I do know the numbers are significantly higher than usual. I do think there is some cause and effect there.

I wish somebody in the news would talk about the suicides. The increase in domestic abuse (spouse and child). Those things matter too. They deserve more attention, imo.
Increased domestic violence has been mentioned several times on our news stations, along with information about where to seek help.

An interesting thing was mentioned on the news last night. Child abuse numbers are way down, but they believe that is because half of all cases stem from school reportings, and kids aren't in school. Which I assume means that it is likely a lot of kids are in dangerous situations that no one knows about due to isolation.

We have high suicide rates in Utah already. It would be interesting to know if they are higher the past couple of months.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

I don't think she's special. I'm just not on board with throwing her in jail longer than the ban on salons/barber shops. That's just silly.

She was given an opportunity to repent and avoid the jail sentence. Being able to apologise goes a long way in life. Humility is not a bad thing. Even in Texas.

As someone on the fairly cautious side for this whole ordeal I'm not opposed to some re-openings and really examining what we should/shouldn't be doing right now. But my experience (at least at my local level here in Iowa) is that it's very much an all or nothing re-open from both sides, nobody seems willing to talk nuance.

Honestly at this point I just wish the mask messaging was good from the top on down, it's a pretty big deal and very easy to do. There's a lot of things I know I'd be fairly comfortable opening (perhaps in a somewhat limited capacity) if mask wearing were actually a societal norm right now, but it's not.

I pointed it out specifically in the video as to why it would be hard to send her to jail for not apologizing. That's garbage reasoning.

If she had paid for unemployment insurance for herself, wouldn't her kids be able to eat off of that? If she has no income, Texas still has food stamps. Her kids will eat.

It’s not just about finding treatments or developing a vaccine, it’s also about adequate testing. How are we supposed to contain this pandemic if we don’t have adequate testing and tracing?

It’s not just about finding treatments or developing a vaccine, it’s also about adequate testing. How are we supposed to contain this pandemic if we don’t have adequate testing and tracing?
That's been the most successful strategy employed by countries in protecting their health and their economies so of course we aren't following their lead.

Not exactly sure what re-opening looks like other than a willingness to expose those who make the least to the highest risk on the front lines, for the convenience of others.

Last edited: