What's new

Coronavirus

Well I initially did ask you a direct question which you didn't answer. It takes two to tango, so I guess I shouldn't expect much. ..

Your initial response was a statement.

You followed that up with a "who benefits?" question that I took to be rhetorical. My mistake.

So, who benefits? Almost everybody...

Business owners, small, medium, and large. Employees that have a valid job back. The government. Again, where do you think all the money going to the unemployed is going to come from? It sure as hell isn't free! We'll see taxes coming that will have to cover that money. What we are doing right now is not sustainable. You don't just bounce back from 30 million unemployed to being good again. The process has to start somewhere. So who does it benefit? Everybody. That's who it benefits.

Doctor reacts to "Plandemic" video. Hilarious and sad in the way that so many americans are so stupid.

Wasnt she breaking the law? Whatever happened to law and order? If she didn’t want to be known as a criminal then she shouldn’t have broken the law.

People aren’t given immunity from law breaking because they’re business owners or friendly to the president’s political party.

One of the keys to our Democratic Republic is following the law and applying the law equally. Seems like some people don’t believe the law applies to them. Unfortunately, with Barr killing Flynn’s prosecution today, this is becoming a forgotten concept in our country.

It's a horrible injustice to our civil liberties when business owners are threatened with jail time for trying to provide for their families, and their employees families, and actual prisoners are released from jail to prevent the spread of Covid.

If I understand correctly (and it's highly possible I don't), it doesn't mutate near as fast or often as the flu. So the possibility of building an immunity is higher than the flu. Have to hope for a situation where you get it once, and then you're done.

I agree that seems to describe the prognosis.

That's also what happens when you get measles, mumps, etc. Until we had vaccines, we still had millions infected every year.

Why not educate her, help her and show her she can get by with those programs instead of throwing her in jail?

Seems pretty simple. I'm sure her week behind bars will rehab her unwillingness to apologize. Lol

All I'm saying is that "feed my kids" was disingenuous.

You followed that up with a "who benefits?" question that I took to be rhetorical. My mistake.

Business owners, small, medium, and large. Employees that have a valid job back. The government. Again, where do you think all the money going to the unemployed is going to come from? It sure as hell isn't free! We'll see taxes coming that will have to cover that money. What we are doing right now is not sustainable. You don't just bounce back from 30 million unemployed to being good again. The process has to start somewhere. So who does it benefit? Everybody. That's who it benefits.
Everyone does benefit, but the benefit is not equal. Opening the economy back up gives those with expendable income access to hair salons, golf courses and second homes in the Bahamas. The benefit to others may be only the ability to pay their a/c bill.

The benefit isn't equal, nor is the health risk. The front line workers make the least amount, have the highest risk AND have the worst access to health care.

Reopening the economy is an inequitable proposition so others can get their normal way of life back.

Everyone does benefit, but the benefit is not equal. Opening the economy back up gives those with expendable income access to hair salons, golf courses and second homes in the Bahamas. The benefit to others may be only the ability to pay their a/c bill.

The benefit isn't equal, nor is the health risk. The front line workers make the least amount, have the highest risk AND have the worst access to health care.

Reopening the economy is an inequitable proposition so others can get their normal way of life back.

The benefit and risk is never equal. Why would you expect it to be? Perhaps in an idyllic world, but this isn't one, not for anyone, not in any country. Fwiw, people being able to spend disposable income would be really, really, good for everyone.

Now. I've played along. I've answered your question. You ever going to try what you've been asked, or shall I give up?

If you're waiting for the benefits and risks to be equal before we open up, you're going to be waiting a very, very, long time. Good grief. And I say this as somebody who's been working the entire time, been around a lot of people crossing a lot of state borders (truckers). The risks aren't foreign to me.

Donald either doesn’t understand or doesn’t care why testing is key. It appears that he views it as detrimental to his re-election and doesn’t want increased capacity for testing and tracing. He feels like increased capacity will lead to increased case numbers, which makes it harder for him to claim that it’s safe to go out, which makes it harder for the economy to recovery, which dooms his re-election. All he cares about is giving off the impression that we’re fine so we give him 4 more years to lie to and plunder our country. That’s not good.

For those of you interested, South Korea is opening up safely and responsibly and this is how they did it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/whats-south-koreas-secret/611215/

Seems to echo somewhat what I was saying. The presidency is a TV show to Trump, and he wants a second season. The virus ruins the ratings. The virus is a bad look. He didn’t want to let people infected with the virus off the cruise ship because it would make the numbers go up. He’s still stuck in that illogic.

It ruins Trump’s presidency to make the virus more visible, and he is apparently trying to mold the reality of the virus in an image more conducive to “this is a success story”.

His boldest rejection of reality yet maybe.

Rejection of reality. If we were not hopelessly saturated with impeachable behavior for 3 1/2 years, making us numb to it all, and if the entire Republican party were not under his thumb, this rejection of reality surely would bring the 25th amendment into play.

Not only does the emperor have no clothes. He’s also nuts.

It's a horrible injustice to our civil liberties when business owners are threatened with jail time for trying to provide for their families, and their employees families, and actual prisoners are released from jail to prevent the spread of Covid.

this is a lame *** bumper sticker slogan. I’m sure it excites people with single digit IQ. But it’s not a serious argument against restrictions made by governments and health officials to contain this pandemic.

Do better.

Last edited:

again, think we need to start going back to work? Okay. Sounds good. Contrary to what apparently a lot of you believe, most Americans want to get back to work. They enjoy working. But they want to work when it’s safe. It’s not safe with our lack of testing and tracing, zero treatments, and no vaccine. Don’t want to wait for a vaccine? Okay. Then we need to step up testing and tracing.

Instead, the Trump administration appears to have lost interest with the testing. It’s going to take too much time, too much work, and will hurt his chances of re-election. He prefers to try to con us into going back to work so that his re-election chances improve. Cmon, we all know what this is about. He wants to try to jumpstart the economy (at any human cost) so he can win re-election so the grifting can continue (and he can avoid prosecution from the SDNY).

meanwhile, another 2,100 dead And 29,000 infected today.

Seems to echo somewhat what I was saying. The presidency is a TV show to Trump, and he wants a second season. The virus ruins the ratings. The virus is a bad look. He didn’t want to let people infected with the virus off the cruise ship because it would make the numbers go up. He’s still stuck in that illogic.

It ruins Trump’s presidency to make the virus more visible, and he is apparently trying to mold the reality of the virus in an image more conducive to “this is a success story”.

His boldest rejection of reality yet maybe.

Rejection of reality. If we were not hopelessly saturated with impeachable behavior for 3 1/2 years, making us numb to it all, and if the entire Republican party were not under his thumb, this rejection of reality surely would bring the 25th amendment into play.

Not only does the emperor have no clothes. He’s also nuts.

That’s exactly it. He’s the reality tv president.

He wasted months that could’ve been used to step up testing because he didn’t want to spook the stock markets. It backfired because the pandemic hit and hit hard.

He then wasted another month doing stupid press conferences thinking that he could con us into thinking that his administration had this under control. It backfired Because those press conferences revealed how he is completely in over his head and governors publicly called him out.

He’s so disinterested in reading, so incurious, and knows that to try to step up testing now would take too long to jumpstart the economy before the election. So he’s going to try to put pressure on governors to “open up” by sicking Fox News and his cult followers on governors and health officials. His thinking is that if he can jumpstart the economy, even if it means far more death, it will help his re-election.

This is what happens when you empower a malignant narcissist. Notice, he shows zero empathy for the 70,000+ dead. Zero. He stays up late not because he’s bothered by the death, but to rant about how he’s being covered by the media. He gets up early to attack people like George Conway. Most presidents would feel terrible over the death and suffering this is causing. Not trump.

Do we really want four more years of this?

Reactions: Red
The benefit and risk is never equal. Why would you expect it to be? Perhaps in an idyllic world, but this isn't one, not for anyone, not in any country. Fwiw, people being able to spend disposable income would be really, really, good for everyone.

Now. I've played along. I've answered your question. You ever going to try what you've been asked, or shall I give up?
Of course the benefit to risk equation is not equal. It never has been and never will be. The ruling class will always step on and take advantage of the unfortunate and unlucky. But adding to the momentum to open the economy back up is expecting those entry level and front line workers to risk MORE than they did before the pandemic for no added benefit for themselves. It is they who pay the even bigger price while it is others who want the economy open which results in an even bigger inequality. Sorry you think it's a game.

The answer to your question thiugh lies somewhere not in unemployment benefits but in a guaranteed minimum income for all.

Of course the benefit to risk equation is not equal. It never has been and never will be. The ruling class will always step on and take advantage of the unfortunate and unlucky. But adding to the momentum to open the economy back up is expecting those entry level and front line workers to risk MORE than they did before the pandemic for no added benefit for themselves. It is they who pay the even bigger price while it is others who want the economy open which results in an even bigger inequality. Sorry you think it's a game.

The answer to your question thiugh lies somewhere not in unemployment benefits but in a guaranteed minimum income for all.

You sound like a smug white dude with a secure income, bitching about the working class wanting to get back to providing for theirs. Patronizing the front line workers... You one of those out of work?

We’re running out of excuses. Is Germany really that much richer, more educated, and better organized than we are? What happened to american exceptionalism? Losing 2,500+ per day isn’t necessary. We don’t need to choose between economic ruin and killing thousands. Come on, we can figure this out. This is the key:

What do you think her reason was for ignoring shutdown orders?

I'm sure some part of her lifestyle was under severe stress. She might have even been on the verge of bankruptcy. I've been there, and I have 5 kids. Never had to worry about whether they had food.