What's new

Coronavirus

When people claim that mask wearing doesn’t help, they’re just not relying on evidence.

and empirical studies looks promising as well:

with surges in Utah, why aren’t Utah institutions and businesses mandating mask wearing? The other day I had to get a few groceries from a local Smiths. Less than 25 percent of the shoppers were wearing masks.

When people claim that mask wearing doesn’t help, they’re just not relying on evidence.

and empirical studies looks promising as well:

with surges in Utah, why aren’t Utah institutions and businesses mandating mask wearing? The other day I had to get a few groceries from a local Smiths. Less than 25 percent of the shoppers were wearing masks.

So here’s my question: we insist on not opening things because of spiking cases. When this doesn’t come to fruition in the amount stated justifying further lockdown, we pivot to alternative explanations for lack of huge spikes like masks. But if we go back to the original question, does this mean we can now wear masks and open everything up, or is opening up still bad?

I appreciate this post. You're right, I will never get it, I do believe the term racist is used far to freely. Seems like anytime anything negative happens to a minority, its labeled racist. Sometimes it is, maybe even a majority, I don't believe it is but it could be. Sometimes people are just assfaces. To everyone. Regardless of race. I do think a lot of the time its not racism, its not about race, its about class. Wealth. Poor and rich. I don't think Trump doesn't want mexicans coming into the USA because of their race or the color of their skin. But because they are generally very poor. He thinks they are drains on society. I vehemently disagree with that stance but I don't think its about race. I'm sure Trump loves wealthy mexicans and blacks and indians. I bet he thinks the world of Carlos Slim.

Waiter gave me poor service. Racism! Or maybe they are just bad at their job and they suck for everyone?
Bartender took too long to get me a beer. Racism. Same as above.
White person doesn't go out of their way to put out a statement on George Floyd. Racism! Maybe they just aren't passionate about it.
White person says, "Jeez, maybe don't destroy the livelihoods of your own communities during these protests." Racism. Pointing out the obvious truth doesn't mean its a race issue.

Now in terms of blacks calling people out for not doing what they feel they should be doing, I think that is bull **** also. It is no one elses job but your own. I'm not saying it is up to blacks only, I'm saying it is up to those that really care. This Jessica Mulroney chick for example. On Good Morning America or something like that. A black co worker publicly puts her on blast for not making a statement on BLM, or George Floyd, or whatever during her segment. She responds with something kind of bitchy and gets fired. It's not her god damned job to take up other people's causes. If she wants to great, great for her, that is awesome. If she doesn't say anything it doesn't mean she is a racist. It means maybe its not a passion of hers. Or she doesnt feel educated enough.

I don't know. It just seems like the pendulum is swinging from far right to far left (not in the political sense just a way to describe whats going on). Gone With The Wind, an extremely overrated movie by the way, taken off of HBO because it paints the south and slavery in a positive light. God dammit its a 90 year old movie. Petitions to have the Help removed from Netflix because its a white savior movie. I'm sure Greenbook, another vastly overrated movie, will get the same treatment wherever it streams if it ever gets a chance to stream.

I would just love for everyone to find some common middle ground. I completely understand the when things are so bad for a group they feel the need to push the pendulum from one extreme to another. Does anyone win when that happens? I don't think so. I think it just causes more resentment and a deeper divide.

I just really hate when people take offense to everything. Same with white people acting like they are persecuted against. Get the F outta here. No you aren't.

Just me ranting. I just hate extremes. I hate the far right, I hate the far left. The truth and logic always always always lies somewhere in the middle

Trick is you’re judging the center of the pendulum by your position. Black people’s center is no where near yours. So how do we reconcile this unequal situation. Maybe listen to the oppressed group and start learning how to get our centers better aligned.

A lot of your questions can be answered by doing some research. Stuff black people would like us to read, even before engaging in the conversation.

If you wanna a good book to get started....

So You Want to Talk About Race - Ijeoma Oluo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here’s my question: we insist on not opening things because of spiking cases. When this doesn’t come to fruition in the amount stated justifying further lockdown, we pivot to alternative explanations for lack of huge spikes like masks. But if we go back to the original question, does this mean we can now wear masks and open everything up, or is opening up still bad?

Personal opinion: I think we'd be okay with a 98% re-open with dedicated mask wearing. Still some restrictions on bars/restaurants and I'm not feeling large gatherings like sporting events/concerts. Most other things seem workable with moderate extra cleaning efforts/masks.

Trick is you’re judging the center of the pendulum by your position. Black people’s center is no where near yours. So how do we reconcile this unequal situation. Maybe listen to the oppressed group and start learning how to get our centers better aligned.

A lot of your questions can be answered by doing some research. Stuff black people would like us to read, even before engaging in the conversation.

If you wanna a good book to get started....

So You Want to Talk About Race - Ijeoma Oluo

I think you just agreed with my point. Unintentionally possibly, but getting the centers aligned is basically what my point is. It can't be to one extreme or the other and I just see a tug of war going back and forth.

And I'll check out the book.

I say open up and wear masks and social distance. That's what I'm doing anyway

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think you just agreed with my point. Unintentionally possibly, but getting the centers aligned is basically what my point is. It can't be to one extreme or the other and I just see a tug of war going back and forth.

And I'll check out the book.

Maybe. I guess I’m just saying our version of alignment is completely different than black peoples’. Like, we’re asking them to give ground when that’s all they’ve done waiting for us to come to them. White people gotta stop tugging (never did I think I would ever advocate for *dick joke*) and let black people gain back some ground. Eh, I think we’re in the same track tho.

Cool! Let me know what you think after or while you’re reading.

Last edited:
There's another small outbreak in Beijing. 7 confirmed cases so far and 45 asymptomatic cases.

It's believed to have started at an open meat market. They are saying they tested salmon meat that was imported and found the virus in it. I'm suspicious of this claim.

Part of the problem is thinking of these as singular examples. It's more like:

Waiters routinely gave me poor service. Racism! Or maybe it's just that I am always served by waiters who are just bad at their job and they suck for everyone?
Or maybe you're an *** and treat waiters poorly?

I'm pretty irritated that we weren't more aggressive early in pounding this out. This continual slow burn will show up in history as us just not being strict enough with ourselves.

Other high-death countries that actually locked things down are seeing things get back to a true normal much faster.

I'm pretty irritated that we weren't more aggressive early in pounding this out. This continual slow burn will show up in history as us just not being strict enough with ourselves.

Other high-death countries that actually locked things down are seeing things get back to a true normal much faster.

Italy, Spain, and France all looked like they were going down a few months ago. They locked things down. And now appear to be over the peak.

IHC (as part of a separate announcement) stated that their (total) patient volumes through COVID have been down 40% from pre-COVID numbers. This will be important context to keep in mind as numbers start to return to pre-COVID levels and there will surely be a huge uproar about the inevitable 'massive spike' in hospitalizations in the state (and nationwide).

Last edited:
Oh

that’s not good. Good thing no high profile person was touring the use of this drug and advocating for others to use it also. Sounds like people sure did have a lot to lose!

LOL:

Last edited:
This doesn’t seem to be good news.

most of these are red states too. States with hot temperatures and using a lot of AC or states that opened prematurely and aren’t taking this seriously. I know at least in Utah, we aren’t taking things seriously anymore. Most people go to grocery stores without masks and are having concerts and rodeos like usual.

rodeo is going on just as normal:
https://www.ksl.com/article/46765229/this-years-ute-stampede-rodeo-in-nephi-is-a-go

Summer Football is in full swing. All high schools now are having summer workouts. Hundreds of kids, parents, and coaches hanging out together everyday at our schools few/no masks.