Coronavirus

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Well, according to my wife, it is vice versa :). She had a first test in april (because visiting a specific doctor required test) and she told me, that the one done in spring was not annoying or feelable at all. Testing was done in the same place and by the same company.
This time our daughter was most nervous, but she was brave and told us that it was no problem at all.
So it sounds like the one your wife, child, and yourself got were all non painful. That's cool.
Sime people got different ones than you and your family though and they hurt.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Gameface

1-20-21
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
So it sounds like the one your wife, child, and yourself got were all non painful. That's cool.
Sime people got different ones than you and your family though and they hurt.

I've had two tests, the first one I got was very unpleasant. The second one was nothing. I don't think there was a huge difference in what they did, I just think the person who did the second one was better at not inflicting pain. Unless the standard was to try to impale a person's brain earlier and now they are like "you actually only need to get some mucous from way up there, impaling the brain is not required."

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
I've had two tests, the first one I got was very unpleasant. The second one was nothing. I don't think there was a huge difference in what they did, I just think the person who did the second one was better at not inflicting pain. Unless the standard was to try to impale a person's brain earlier and now they are like "you actually only need to get some mucous from way up there, impaling the brain is not required."
The doctor who did mine yesterday said that they used to have to go way up the noise and hit the throat but they no longer have to do that.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
I had kind of a strange thought/question
So we equate low unemployment with a strong economy and healthy financial wellbeing right?

But if unemployment is really low then couldn't that mean that everyone needs to work because they need money badly because without work they couldn't afford to live?

Like if everyone was financially healthy and not struggling financialy then couldn't that mean that only one parent needed to work and that more people could retire which would make the unemployment rate higher? Less people working food be a good thing and more people working could be a bad thing right?

Last edited:

Gameface

1-20-21
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
I had mind of a strange thought/question
So we equate low unemployment with a strong economy and healthy financial wellbeing right?

But if unemployment is really low then couldn't that mean that everyone needs to work because they need money badly because without work they couldn't afford to live?

Like if everyone was financially healthy and not struggling financialy then couldn't that mean that only one parent needed to work and that more people could retire which would make the unemployment rate higher? Less people working food be a good thing and more people working could be a bad thing right?

I'm not an expert on how this works and oldschool franklin would be a better person to answer a question like this, but I think at some point they changed how they calculate unemployment and they only count people who are actively looking for work. If you don't have a job and aren't looking for one then you are not counted as an unemployed person. Same goes for a situation where you were looking for work but eventually gave up, even though if you could get a job you would.

LogGrad98

Contributor
I'm not an expert on how this works and oldschool franklin would be a better person to answer a question like this, but I think at some point they changed how they calculate unemployment and they only count people who are actively looking for work. If you don't have a job and aren't looking for one then you are not counted as an unemployed person. Same goes for a situation where you were looking for work but eventually gave up, even though if you could get a job you would.
This is right more or less. They only count people looking for a job, or who are capable of holding a job. So the number can be skewed a few different ways. One way is that a terrible economy can cause a lot of people to drop out of the job pool, to, in essence, give up and stop looking, making it look like unemployment is lower than is actually is.

idestroyedthetoilet

This is right more or less. They only count people looking for a job, or who are capable of holding a job. So the number can be skewed a few different ways. One way is that a terrible economy can cause a lot of people to drop out of the job pool, to, in essence, give up and stop looking, making it look like unemployment is lower than is actually is.
There are six measures, plus we track labor participation rate . U6 includes all those you listed, unless they no longer want work.

idestroyedthetoilet

It would mean less production, a smaller pie to divy up. Also, there is an old idea where retiring is good for the economy because one person steps aside which creates a higher paying job for another. It's an old economic fallacy but I don't remember the term for it.

Also, wages have been rather sticky for a couple decades. We just barely started seeing strong increases in real wages before Covid.

idestroyedthetoilet

I think what you are really asking is what if a higher portion of production went to the working class instead of the rich. You can do the math to figure that out, but you'll have to do your best gestimation to account for lower production and thus higher prices.

Say, take away 1/2 of the 1% income, 1.8 trillion, and divide it equally among the 330 million, adjust for inflation and wahlah. A good way to do that is taxing the rich and increasing the EITC.

The Thriller

Got my test result back, positive.

I had what felt like a little cold yesterday morning. Dry cough, fatigue, chills. Nothing else. Felt much better in the afternoon. But I wanted to be cautious so I went and got a test. Today felt normal, just a little fatigue. But now I just got the positive test result back. Hopefully tomorrow doesn’t suck. Can still smell things fine and knock on wood haven’t seen any other symptoms.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner

I had what felt like a little cold yesterday morning. Dry cough, fatigue, chills. Nothing else. Felt much better in the afternoon. But I wanted to be cautious so I went and got a test. Today felt normal, just a little fatigue. But now I just got the positive test result back. Hopefully tomorrow doesn’t suck. Can still smell things fine and knock on wood haven’t seen any other symptoms.
Good luck man.
Keep us updated

Gameface

1-20-21
Contributor
2018 Award Winner

Sorry to hear that. Hope your symptoms are mild.

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner

Damn, any idea of how you got it? How old are you?

The Thriller

Damn, any idea of how you got it? How old are you?
35 years old.

Definitely at work. The wife and I don't have kids. She works in finance and has been working remotely since March. We haven't gone anywhere for months. Doordash and drive-thrus for restaurants. When they say it's not transmitting in schools and universities, they're full of ****. It's a way to force K-12 face to face schools going and keep the universities and landlords in college towns happy. My house was covid free until schools when back into session. Face to face school is obviously the best way to educate most students. However, testing has not been readily available up until recently and there has been far too much community spread to trace all the positives. Back in April and May Governor Herbert said we needed 5 percent or lower for Utah's economy to safely reopen. Want to know what our positivity rate has been this month? I have a spreadsheet and have been tracking it:

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 9.42.30 AM.png
Back in July Governor Herbert said that we needed 500 or fewer cases to safely reopen schools. Want to know what our average new daily cases has been this month?
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 9.42.35 AM.png
When metrics go out the window you have a ********. If I sound pissed it's because I am. Politics is overruling science and public health. People are needlessly going to get sick, have long-term health damage, disastrous medical bills, and some may even die because of our state and country's leadership. It didn't and still doesn't have to be this way. And I find the claim, "Household transmission" to be an insult to our intelligence. None of our houses have covid until we bring it in. Where do we bring it in from? Schools, work, church, etc. I think using the "Household transmission" excuse is a misnomer to justify keeping sectors of the economy open unsafely even though it's obvious that they shouldn't be because of our lack of testing and out of control community spread.

One Brow

I had kind of a strange thought/question

The unemployment rate only looks at people with no jobs, actively seeking work. You are thinking of the labor force participation rate. Then there is the underemployment rate (those who have part-time jobs but would prefer full-time).

No doubt there are a dozen other measures as well.

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
35 years old.

Definitely at work. The wife and I don't have kids. She works in finance and has been working remotely since March. We haven't gone anywhere for months. Doordash and drive-thrus for restaurants. When they say it's not transmitting in schools and universities, they're full of ****. It's a way to force K-12 face to face schools going and keep the universities and landlords in college towns happy. My house was covid free until schools when back into session. Face to face school is obviously the best way to educate most students. However, testing has not been readily available up until recently and there has been far too much community spread to trace all the positives. Back in April and May Governor Herbert said we needed 5 percent or lower for Utah's economy to safely reopen. Want to know what our positivity rate has been this month? I have a spreadsheet and have been tracking it:

View attachment 9935
Back in July Governor Herbert said that we needed 500 or fewer cases to safely reopen schools. Want to know what our average new daily cases has been this month?
View attachment 9934
When metrics go out the window you have a ********. If I sound pissed it's because I am. Politics is overruling science and public health. People are needlessly going to get sick, have long-term health damage, disastrous medical bills, and some may even die because of our state and country's leadership. It didn't and still doesn't have to be this way. And I find the claim, "Household transmission" to be an insult to our intelligence. None of our houses have covid until we bring it in. Where do we bring it in from? Schools, work, church, etc. I think using the "Household transmission" excuse is a misnomer to justify keeping sectors of the economy open unsafely even though it's obvious that they shouldn't be because of our lack of testing and out of control community spread.

Yeah, crazy how the bar keeps getting raised. I pulled my kids from school before last week started(Corner Canyon High) once it was obvious they were ignoring the rise in cases.

Hope you get through this without any complications. Keep us informed.

Hekate

Get well soon!