Coronavirus

One Brow

The first thing to note is that this is really a study of the effects of including face mask instructions and masks when also receiving instructions in social distancing.

Intervention:​

Encouragement to follow social distancing measures for coronavirus disease 2019, plus either no mask recommendation or a recommendation to wear a mask when outside the home among other persons together with a supply of 50 surgical masks and instructions for proper use.

I also did not see anything in the study where they asked the control group (no masks instructions or free masks) it they adopted masks over the course of the trial.

Ron Mexico

Contributor
I think it's been shown pretty clearly that wearing a mask doesn't prevent you from getting it. This study confirms that. But, the point of masks has been spreading it to others. This study doesn't address that.

dong2ha

Premium Jazz Fan
Contributor
I think it's been shown pretty clearly that wearing a mask doesn't prevent you from getting it. This study confirms that. But, the point of masks has been spreading it to others. This study doesn't address that.
If everyone wears a mask, nobody will spread the virus. Isn't that simple enough? Lol at people who still claim that mask don't work

Sent from my SM-G977N using JazzFanz mobile app

Gameface

1-20-21
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
If everyone wears a mask, nobody will spread the virus. Isn't that simple enough? Lol at people who still claim that mask don't work

Sent from my SM-G977N using JazzFanz mobile app
Honestly, even if they don't work well it's so ****ing easy that if it provides any benefit at all it's worth it. Easy.

Sent from my SM-G973U using JazzFanz mobile app

The Thriller

The study didn't even look at that question carefully.
This study did:
As does this one:
Frankly, I’m surprised even in our broken society that we’re still arguing over masks. They obviously help. They don’t guarantee that you won’t get sick. But they obviously help prevent transmission and can lead to less severe cases.

There’s also just common sense. States and countries that have largely contained the virus are those that have mandated masks and have better coordinated testing programs.

Our out of control community spread isn’t because masks don’t work. I’m thinking it has something to do with our economics, patchwork plans by states, bars and restaurants, and most of all lack of a National testing strategy.

Last edited:

The Thriller

First, even if the number ended up being 400K that's still 16.7% off, which is a pretty huge error.

Second, by claiming we are on track for 400K deaths, you are asserting that there will be ~176,000 deaths from now until Dec 31, 2020. 176k deaths in 76 days.

How about we make a bet. If there are 400K or more covid19 deaths by the end of the year, you win and I delete my account. If there are less than 400k covid19 deaths by then, I win and you delete your account.
Interesting. The United States just hit nearly 200,000 new cases yesterday, a first for any country. The United States had over 2,000 new deaths for the first time since May. We already have 260,000 deaths and there’s no end in sight. This is also before the holidays and exactly what the experts had feared.

This is what exponential growth looks like:
783EEBD3-9A82-4DC5-AAE8-53458D44FC8D.pngnext time listen to the experts, don’t mock them.

Lastly, as someone who currently has it, it’s not a ****ing joke. The fatigue, brain fog, the way it messes up your sleeping patterns, etc isn’t fun. And I guess so far I’ve been “lucky” because I have a “mild” case. I’m still out for another week from work and hope to not suffer any long term health problems. Guess we’ll find out soon enough if it’s done anything to me.

Take this thing seriously since Trump hasn’t. A more serious president would’ve come up with a better plan than “Herd Mentality.”

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner

Gameface

1-20-21
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
Good ol Steve Bannon.
He's just a lover of truth loving truth so hard that truth has to file charges and issue a restraining order.

magic

Interesting. The United States just hit nearly 200,000 new cases yesterday, a first for any country. The United States had over 2,000 new deaths for the first time since May. We already have 260,000 deaths and there’s no end in sight. This is also before the holidays and exactly what the experts had feared.

This is what exponential growth looks like:
View attachment 9946next time listen to the experts, don’t mock them.

Lastly, as someone who currently has it, it’s not a ****ing joke. The fatigue, brain fog, the way it messes up your sleeping patterns, etc isn’t fun. And I guess so far I’ve been “lucky” because I have a “mild” case. I’m still out for another week from work and hope to not suffer any long term health problems. Guess we’ll find out soon enough if it’s done anything to me.

Take this thing seriously since Trump hasn’t. A more serious president would’ve come up with a better plan than “Herd Mentality.”
Even if it were to hit 2k deaths everyday from now until the end of the year, which is unlikely given that it oscillates (yesterday for example had 1460 deaths), that would be roughly 342k deaths which is still way short of 480k.

Also, you are an idiot if thinking that wearing a mask is going to stop the death count this winter. My 85+ year old grandpa who is as socially distanced as it gets (lives by himself and doesn't go out), got covid at a clinic when he was getting an unrelated surgery done. And everybody at the clinic is wearing a ****ing mask, sanitizing ****, etc. But did that stop my grandpa from getting covid? No. And you have the audacity to tell me that I think it's a joke. You truly are a living piece of walking garbage.

Luckily my grandpa survived covid and also good that he doesn't have to be a number in your dumbass liberal fearmongering. The correct way to lower the death count is by making sure those that are more vulnerable are protected ( i.e. they need to socially distance from people, masks aren't going to do ****) and also make sure that during this winter the vulnerable aren't going to any unnecessary doctor appointments or areas/buildings where covid will be prevalent. It's not Trump's responsibility to impose federal mandates such as wearing a mask or doing curfews from 10pm to 5am that won't do **** to stop the problem.

Also, I'm supposed to be on your ignore list, so don't conveniently respond when you think you are going to be right, when you are still wrong. You piece of ****.

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
Even if it were to hit 2k deaths everyday from now until the end of the year, which is unlikely given that it oscillates (yesterday for example had 1460 deaths), that would be roughly 342k deaths which is still way short of 480k.

Also, you are an idiot if thinking that wearing a mask is going to stop the death count this winter. My 85+ year old grandpa who is as socially distanced as it gets (lives by himself and doesn't go out), got covid at a clinic when he was getting an unrelated surgery done. And everybody at the clinic is wearing a ****ing mask, sanitizing ****, etc. But did that stop my grandpa from getting covid? No. And you have the audacity to tell me that I think it's a joke. You truly are a living piece of walking garbage.

Luckily my grandpa survived covid and also good that he doesn't have to be a number in your dumbass liberal fearmongering. The correct way to lower the death count is by making sure those that are more vulnerable are protected ( i.e. they need to socially distance from people, masks aren't going to do ****) and also make sure that during this winter the vulnerable aren't going to any unnecessary doctor appointments or areas/buildings where covid will be prevalent. It's not Trump's responsibility to impose federal mandates such as wearing a mask or doing curfews from 10pm to 5am that won't do **** to stop the problem.

Also, I'm supposed to be on your ignore list, so don't conveniently respond when you think you are going to be right, when you are still wrong. You piece of ****.

I'm willing to give you a break, Magic, since I can surmise it's difficult to formulate coherent thoughts with a cherry-flavored Trump mushroom tipped dildo in your mouth.

magic

I'm willing to give you a break, Magic, since I can surmise it's difficult to formulate coherent thoughts with a cherry-flavored Trump mushroom tipped dildo in your mouth.
I'm pretty sure all you do is fantasize about Trump. I literally mention him in one line of my entire post and that's all you could think about.

magic

Also, I wear a mask out in public because it helps prevent the spread to people that are not vulnerable, or at least it can help reduce the amount of the virus a person gets infected with, which in turn helps reduce the severity of COVID. But unless everyone wore an n95 mask and properly (for this winter) on top of the more important things such as social distancing, masks are not going to prevent the vulnerable from getting the disease. And masks most likely do very little to stop vulnerable people from catching it in more exposed areas such as hospitals or clinics.

One Brow

It's not Trump's responsibility to impose federal mandates such as wearing a mask or doing curfews from 10pm to 5am that won't do **** to stop the problem..
It's Trump's responsibility to set proper expectations, organize regional initiatives, provide an example of safe behavior, and encourage people to be safe. He has done none of these.

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
I'm pretty sure all you do is fantasize about Trump. I literally mention him in one line of my entire post and that's all you could think about.

Right, because there are no other indicators in your puke stain of a post that you'd mortgage your home and all of the Trump paraphernalia inside it to gargle Trump's nut sack for 10 seconds.