What's new

Coronavirus

If every American were to get COVID with a survival rate of 98% then more than 6,500,000 people would die. So yeah, not too big a deal.

Yes, the percentage of people dying from COVID is shockingly high for a disease that is infecting as many people as it is. Something like 97%-99.75% of people who get COVID survive. That's not a good number.

800,000 Americans dead.
Throw my mom in there.

It's a shame and sad af.

However, the idea that forcing people to be vaccinated or firing them doesn't sit right with me.

Maybe I'm wrong?

No one wanted this virus.

Throw my mom in there.

It's a shame and sad af.

However, the idea that forcing people to be vaccinated or firing them doesn't sit right with me.

Maybe I'm wrong?

No one wanted this virus.
I'm pretty sure I've have acknowledged the very unfortunate loss of your mother. If I haven't or you don't remember me doing so, I'm very sorry for your loss. It is tragic and I hope that you are doing okay.

People can test for COVID instead of getting vaccinated. So no one is being forced to get vaccinated or lose their job.

Do you think that's what I'm saying?

Gawd damn it.
Well it kind of sounded like it. Most the time I've heard people talk about the survival rate they say "More than 98% of people who get COVID survive" and present that as if it means COVID isn't a big deal.

If every American were to get COVID with a survival rate of 98% then more than 6,500,000 people would die. So yeah, not too big a deal.
Do you think I don't care or am ignorant?

Serious question.

Or maybe, just maybe there's a possibility of having a different opinion?!

Nowadays, it seems like everyone has a "you're with or against me" mentality.

I think finding common ground is important.

I told you I love ya man (I do always will) and you brush it off (unless I missed it) and challenged my thought process.

Damn, dude.

It’s not like dying or living is the only fate with Covid. Long haul Covid isn’t something to laugh about and we still don’t know what the long term damage to the brain, heart, liver, and smell and taste are. I’m approaching my one year anniversary of Covid and my smell and taste sense is still a fraction of what it used to be. My quality of life has most likely been permanently damaged. One day I left the damn stove on because I couldn’t smell the gas. Luckily my wife caught it or who knows what would’ve happened?

We still don’t know what this **** does to kids for their development.

Getting vaccinated should be a no brainer. I don’t understand why mandatory Covid vaccines is an outrage while mandatory polio and measles vaccines are just fine?

I'm pretty sure I've have acknowledged the very unfortunate loss of your mother. If I haven't or you don't remember me doing so, I'm very sorry for your loss. It is tragic and I hope that you are doing okay.

People can test for COVID instead of getting vaccinated. So no one is being forced to get

People can test for COVID instead of getting vaccinated. So no one is being forced to get vaccinated or lose their job.
The hardest part about losing my mom is losing her twice. :/

Beat me to it. Is the actual problem that people are afraid of needles?
Can’t we just give them lollipops? It works for kids when they want to start kindergarten. I’m all for giving adults candy if it means they’ll get them vaccinated and ending this pandemic.

I think the main issue is that one political party and large segment of the population (30ish percent) suffer from oppositional defiant disorder. Whatever the majority wants? They must be against. It’s part of their identity now to flip doctors, liberals, etc the bird. Even if it means killing themselves.

I read this book a few years back and it describes this issue perfectly:
Amazon product ASIN 1541644980
These people just live (and die) for resentment. It’s their identity.

Last edited:
Do you think I don't care or am ignorant?

Serious question.

Or maybe, just maybe there's a possibility of having a different opinion?!

Nowadays, it seems like everyone has a "you're with or against me" mentality.

I think finding common ground is important.

I told you I love ya man (I do always will) and you brush it off (unless I missed it) and challenged my thought process.

Damn, dude.
No but it does seem like you're advocating for a position where it is a person's right to have COVID and not test and not take precautions and go to work and put other people's lives at risk, based on your response to my example of a coworker of mine who did just that. You said that it was his own personal business. You are also putting the right to not get vaccinated and apparently not have to test since you haven't really acknowledged that as a viable alternative above the right of an employer to protect their business or of the right of other people to be protected.

I'm not saying that you are ignorant. I don't think that. I also know that you do care.

Obviously I feel strongly about this issue and I hope I haven't been overly aggressive in how I've responded to you. That's not my intention. But I am trying hard to make the points that I think are important. And yes, it is possible that I'm wrong. On the point of vaccine mandates I've said I'm conflicted, but I think it's a pretty fine balance and to weigh the right of the public to be better protected over the right of the individual to make this choice on their own I don't think any massive injustice is done by mandating a vaccine when you also provide the option to not get vaccinated but have to test. So if this was an actual absolute vaccine mandate I might feel differently, but since there is another option that allows a person to NOT get vaccinated I don't see the issue.

No but it does seem like you're advocating for a position where it is a person's right to have COVID and not test and not take precautions and go to work and put other people's lives at risk, based on your response to my example of a coworker of mine who did just that. You said that it was his own personal business. You are also putting the right to not get vaccinated and apparently not have to test since you haven't really acknowledged that as a viable alternative above the right of an employer to protect their business or of the right of other people to be protected.

I'm not saying that you are ignorant. I don't think that. I also know that you do care.

Obviously I feel strongly about this issue and I hope I haven't been overly aggressive in how I've responded to you. That's not my intention. But I am trying hard to make the points that I think are important. And yes, it is possible that I'm wrong. On the point of vaccine mandates I've said I'm conflicted, but I think it's a pretty fine balance and to weigh the right of the public to be better protected over the right of the individual to make this choice on their own I don't think any massive injustice is done by mandating a vaccine when you also provide the option to not get vaccinated but have to test. So if this was an actual absolute vaccine mandate I might feel differently, but since there is another option that allows a person to NOT get vaccinated I don't see the issue.
I imagine testing will be a mess if a large # of people who have no symptoms get tested weekly.

I want everyone to get vaccinated but this new rule is going to be messy.

It’s not like dying or living is the only fate with Covid. Long haul Covid isn’t something to laugh about and we still don’t know what the long term damage to the brain, heart, liver, and smell and taste are. I’m approaching my one year anniversary of Covid and my smell and taste sense is still a fraction of what it used to be. My quality of life has most likely been permanently damaged. One day I left the damn stove on because I couldn’t smell the gas. Luckily my wife caught it or who knows what would’ve happened?

We still don’t know what this **** does to kids for their development.

Getting vaccinated should be a no brainer. I don’t understand why mandatory Covid vaccines is an outrage while mandatory polio and measles vaccines are just fine?
I'm sorry, dude. That must suck.

To me, it's common sense to get vaccinated. However, in a free world, it shouldn't be mandatory.

This is such a poor comparison. You're probably my favorite poster too.

You do realize the percentages of people actually dying from Covid, right?

Don't preach to me this bs.
Well I never said I was aiming the gun at anyone. Im walking around blindfolded firing randomly. The vast majority of my bullets are not even hitting anyone. So its all good.

Well I never said I was aiming the gun at anyone. Im walking around blindfolded firing randomly. The vast majority of my bullets are not even hitting anyone. So its all good.
gunshot-shooting.gif

I haven't had a normal job since 2006.

My opinion probably sucks.

Nah your opinion and expression of it is fine. More than fine even. You employ kindness, sincerity, and an attempt at understanding others. Thats much better than most of us and i appreciate it. Dont ever change bro. We could all learn something from you.

Btw i think its needs to be said that i dont think anyone actually wants a vaccine mandate. Pretty sure that those who are ok with it would much rather have people get vaccinated because its the right thing to do and the smart thing to do rather than be forced.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Nah your opinion and expression of it is fine. More than fine even. You employ kindness, sincerity, and an attempt at understanding others. Thats much better than most of us and i appreciate it. Dont ever change bro. We could all learn something from you.

Btw i think its needs to be said that i dont think anyone actually wants a vaccine mandate. Pretty sure that those who are ok with it would much rather have people get vaccinated because its the right thing to do and the smart thing to do rather than be forced.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Thank you.

71% of Vermont is vaccinated, the highest state in the country. It has 4 times the amount of cases and deaths per capita than Florida.
It's almost always a mistake when I look in this thread.

Since the start of the pandemic, Vermont has 61.4 total deaths per 100k population and Florida has 280.9.

Even if you limit the data to the current wave, say from July 1 to now, Vermont has 20.2 deaths per 100k and Florida has 105.0.

Are you cherry-picking a single day of data? A single week?

So I got my COVID booster, and flu shot, Thursday afternoon. Haven't really felt bad or anything but I've been sleeping 10-11 hours the last couple nights, which isn't normal for me.