What's new

Coronavirus

I had mind of a strange thought/question
So we equate low unemployment with a strong economy and healthy financial wellbeing right?

But if unemployment is really low then couldn't that mean that everyone needs to work because they need money badly because without work they couldn't afford to live?

Like if everyone was financially healthy and not struggling financialy then couldn't that mean that only one parent needed to work and that more people could retire which would make the unemployment rate higher? Less people working food be a good thing and more people working could be a bad thing right?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
I think what you are really asking is what if a higher portion of production went to the working class instead of the rich. You can do the math to figure that out, but you'll have to do your best gestimation to account for lower production and thus higher prices.

Say, take away 1/2 of the 1% income, 1.8 trillion, and divide it equally among the 330 million, adjust for inflation and wahlah. A good way to do that is taxing the rich and increasing the EITC.

Got my test result back, positive.

I had what felt like a little cold yesterday morning. Dry cough, fatigue, chills. Nothing else. Felt much better in the afternoon. But I wanted to be cautious so I went and got a test. Today felt normal, just a little fatigue. But now I just got the positive test result back. Hopefully tomorrow doesn’t suck. Can still smell things fine and knock on wood haven’t seen any other symptoms.

I had what felt like a little cold yesterday morning. Dry cough, fatigue, chills. Nothing else. Felt much better in the afternoon. But I wanted to be cautious so I went and got a test. Today felt normal, just a little fatigue. But now I just got the positive test result back. Hopefully tomorrow doesn’t suck. Can still smell things fine and knock on wood haven’t seen any other symptoms.
Good luck man.
Keep us updated

Sorry to hear that. Hope your symptoms are mild.

Damn, any idea of how you got it? How old are you?

Damn, any idea of how you got it? How old are you?
35 years old.

Definitely at work. The wife and I don't have kids. She works in finance and has been working remotely since March. We haven't gone anywhere for months. Doordash and drive-thrus for restaurants. When they say it's not transmitting in schools and universities, they're full of ****. It's a way to force K-12 face to face schools going and keep the universities and landlords in college towns happy. My house was covid free until schools when back into session. Face to face school is obviously the best way to educate most students. However, testing has not been readily available up until recently and there has been far too much community spread to trace all the positives. Back in April and May Governor Herbert said we needed 5 percent or lower for Utah's economy to safely reopen. Want to know what our positivity rate has been this month? I have a spreadsheet and have been tracking it:

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 9.42.30 AM.png
Back in July Governor Herbert said that we needed 500 or fewer cases to safely reopen schools. Want to know what our average new daily cases has been this month?
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 9.42.35 AM.png
When metrics go out the window you have a ********. If I sound pissed it's because I am. Politics is overruling science and public health. People are needlessly going to get sick, have long-term health damage, disastrous medical bills, and some may even die because of our state and country's leadership. It didn't and still doesn't have to be this way. And I find the claim, "Household transmission" to be an insult to our intelligence. None of our houses have covid until we bring it in. Where do we bring it in from? Schools, work, church, etc. I think using the "Household transmission" excuse is a misnomer to justify keeping sectors of the economy open unsafely even though it's obvious that they shouldn't be because of our lack of testing and out of control community spread.

I had kind of a strange thought/question
So we equate low unemployment with a strong economy and healthy financial wellbeing right?

But if unemployment is really low then couldn't that mean that everyone needs to work because they need money badly because without work they couldn't afford to live?

Like if everyone was financially healthy and not struggling financialy then couldn't that mean that only one parent needed to work and that more people could retire which would make the unemployment rate higher? Less people working food be a good thing and more people working could be a bad thing right?

The unemployment rate only looks at people with no jobs, actively seeking work. You are thinking of the labor force participation rate. Then there is the underemployment rate (those who have part-time jobs but would prefer full-time).

No doubt there are a dozen other measures as well.

35 years old.

Definitely at work. The wife and I don't have kids. She works in finance and has been working remotely since March. We haven't gone anywhere for months. Doordash and drive-thrus for restaurants. When they say it's not transmitting in schools and universities, they're full of ****. It's a way to force K-12 face to face schools going and keep the universities and landlords in college towns happy. My house was covid free until schools when back into session. Face to face school is obviously the best way to educate most students. However, testing has not been readily available up until recently and there has been far too much community spread to trace all the positives. Back in April and May Governor Herbert said we needed 5 percent or lower for Utah's economy to safely reopen. Want to know what our positivity rate has been this month? I have a spreadsheet and have been tracking it:

View attachment 9935
Back in July Governor Herbert said that we needed 500 or fewer cases to safely reopen schools. Want to know what our average new daily cases has been this month?
View attachment 9934
When metrics go out the window you have a ********. If I sound pissed it's because I am. Politics is overruling science and public health. People are needlessly going to get sick, have long-term health damage, disastrous medical bills, and some may even die because of our state and country's leadership. It didn't and still doesn't have to be this way. And I find the claim, "Household transmission" to be an insult to our intelligence. None of our houses have covid until we bring it in. Where do we bring it in from? Schools, work, church, etc. I think using the "Household transmission" excuse is a misnomer to justify keeping sectors of the economy open unsafely even though it's obvious that they shouldn't be because of our lack of testing and out of control community spread.

Yeah, crazy how the bar keeps getting raised. I pulled my kids from school before last week started(Corner Canyon High) once it was obvious they were ignoring the rise in cases.

Hope you get through this without any complications. Keep us informed.

Get well soon!

The first thing to note is that this is really a study of the effects of including face mask instructions and masks when also receiving instructions in social distancing.

Intervention:​

Encouragement to follow social distancing measures for coronavirus disease 2019, plus either no mask recommendation or a recommendation to wear a mask when outside the home among other persons together with a supply of 50 surgical masks and instructions for proper use.

I also did not see anything in the study where they asked the control group (no masks instructions or free masks) it they adopted masks over the course of the trial.

I think it's been shown pretty clearly that wearing a mask doesn't prevent you from getting it. This study confirms that. But, the point of masks has been spreading it to others. This study doesn't address that.

I think it's been shown pretty clearly that wearing a mask doesn't prevent you from getting it. This study confirms that. But, the point of masks has been spreading it to others. This study doesn't address that.
If everyone wears a mask, nobody will spread the virus. Isn't that simple enough? Lol at people who still claim that mask don't work

Sent from my SM-G977N using JazzFanz mobile app

If everyone wears a mask, nobody will spread the virus. Isn't that simple enough? Lol at people who still claim that mask don't work

Sent from my SM-G977N using JazzFanz mobile app
Honestly, even if they don't work well it's so ****ing easy that if it provides any benefit at all it's worth it. Easy.

Sent from my SM-G973U using JazzFanz mobile app

The study didn't even look at that question carefully.

The study didn't even look at that question carefully.
This study did:
As does this one:
Frankly, I’m surprised even in our broken society that we’re still arguing over masks. They obviously help. They don’t guarantee that you won’t get sick. But they obviously help prevent transmission and can lead to less severe cases.

There’s also just common sense. States and countries that have largely contained the virus are those that have mandated masks and have better coordinated testing programs.

Our out of control community spread isn’t because masks don’t work. I’m thinking it has something to do with our economics, patchwork plans by states, bars and restaurants, and most of all lack of a National testing strategy.

Last edited:
First, even if the number ended up being 400K that's still 16.7% off, which is a pretty huge error.

Second, by claiming we are on track for 400K deaths, you are asserting that there will be ~176,000 deaths from now until Dec 31, 2020. 176k deaths in 76 days.

How about we make a bet. If there are 400K or more covid19 deaths by the end of the year, you win and I delete my account. If there are less than 400k covid19 deaths by then, I win and you delete your account.
Interesting. The United States just hit nearly 200,000 new cases yesterday, a first for any country. The United States had over 2,000 new deaths for the first time since May. We already have 260,000 deaths and there’s no end in sight. This is also before the holidays and exactly what the experts had feared.

This is what exponential growth looks like:
783EEBD3-9A82-4DC5-AAE8-53458D44FC8D.pngnext time listen to the experts, don’t mock them.

Lastly, as someone who currently has it, it’s not a ****ing joke. The fatigue, brain fog, the way it messes up your sleeping patterns, etc isn’t fun. And I guess so far I’ve been “lucky” because I have a “mild” case. I’m still out for another week from work and hope to not suffer any long term health problems. Guess we’ll find out soon enough if it’s done anything to me.

Take this thing seriously since Trump hasn’t. A more serious president would’ve come up with a better plan than “Herd Mentality.”