What's new

Game Thread Dec 12, 2020: Jazz vs. Suns (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 12-12-20

seems like most everyone played well. Even the 2 way guys. I think Morgan should play before Niang. Morgan rebounds and plays defense. He may not be the shooter Niang is but he isn't that far off considering how much better of a defender and rebounder he is than Niang. i think the jazz chose Udoka is they believed he was the best player and you always chose the best player regardless of position. When you choose for need like Trey Burke you get burned. I also think they realized to compete against the Lakers they are going to need more size. Favors and Udoka allow the Jazz to compete better with teams like the Lakers. i know it is one preseason game but i think this team has a lot of depth and interchangeable pieces. i think it is going to be a fun year watching how the roles are defined and who is ready to step up.

I was a little surprised Udoka didn't get called on some possible fouls last night. He's not afraid to knock people around. I think the Suns recognized it and were a little afraid of him.

Udoka’s free throw form is worse than Noah’s. At least Noah’s is all one motion. Udoka’s looks more like a robot trying to throw a baseball.

FYI, Udoka was measured at the 2018 NBA Combine. He actually has about a 9'5" standing reach, rather than the 9'1.5" that was measured at this year's Combine.

Excellent decision to fake his vertical leap.
Right. He might have a 37" vertical. He doesn't have a 41" vertical. He's quick at getting off the floor though. A 9'5" standing reach, plus a 37" vertical, would get him up to 12'6." That's plenty. His combination of standing reach, plus vertical jump, is a 3 inches more than Javale McGee.

Udoka is basically like Javale McGee with more strength, more bounce, and better IQ and coachability.

Last edited:
Jarrell Brantley was surprisingly active defensively. He switched onto guards and wings and kept them in front. Jazz may be grooming him to play a Jae Crowder role down the line.

Jarrell Brantley was surprisingly active defensively. He switched onto guards and wings and kept them in front. Jazz may be grooming him to play a Jae Crowder role down the line.

In watching the fourth quarter for a second time last night to look at some of our new guys it seemed like Brantley was a little frustrated. He seemed to want it so bad. He gives a lot of effort so hopefully he can begin to consistently make those plays he has in his head and get the respect from his teammates so he can play a bigger role.

Last edited:
I’ve seen this whenever the jazz put him on the court. He should be in the rotation now. He should’ve gotten a lot more experience last year, and pisses me off Oni has a contract and Brantley is only on a two way deal. I’ve been enamored with him ever since we drafted him

I’ve seen this whenever the jazz put him on the court. He should be in the rotation now. He should’ve gotten a lot more experience last year, and pisses me off Oni has a contract and Brantley is only on a two way deal. I’ve been enamored with him ever since we drafted him
Plus both Brantley and JWF were drafted ahead of Oni.

Udoka’s free throw form is worse than Noah’s. At least Noah’s is all one motion. Udoka’s looks more like a robot trying to throw a baseball.

Its not good. It needs a full reconstruction or major tweaks... Udoka will not be able to play at the end of the quarter when teams can go hack a Udoka. If a team wants to hack him early and get into the penalty by all means... we can just pull him after and be fine.

I'm not overly concerned about the free throw shooting because most of the time he is going to just finish through contact and he is not likely ever a 30+ minute a night guy for us. Even if we moved on from Rudy a guy like Udoka is a 20-25 minute a night guy and maybe you have a stretch option to play the minutes he's off the court.

I like him a lot too... his profile stands out and he is excellent moving his feet on defense. There is room for both Oni and Brantley. Oni just has a much easier fit to him. He looked good, so don't be upset... we can have two good young prospects.

I like him a lot too... his profile stands out and he is excellent moving his feet on defense. There is room for both Oni and Brantley. Oni just has a much easier fit to him. He looked good, so don't be upset... we can have two good young prospects.
But Oni will get playing time, Brantley won’t. So at some point the jazz will let Brantley walk, who I might add has the higher upside, is more skilled, IMO of course. Brantley undoubtedly will play in the GLeague, and the jazz most likely let him walk after the end of the year.

tell me if I’m wrong but I heard the jazz can’t resign him to another two way contract.

But Oni will get playing time, Brantley won’t. So at some point the jazz will let Brantley walk, who I might add has the higher upside, is more skilled, IMO of course. Brantley undoubtedly will play in the GLeague, and the jazz most likely let him walk after the end of the year.

tell me if I’m wrong but I heard the jazz can’t resign him to another two way contract.
Morgan is really the guy taking Brantley’s time... Oni is more of a wing and those guys are bigs.

We might give him a deal next year... I think he’d be restricted in FA.