What's new

Derek Fisher, noted family man of faith, busted on DUI

Everything aside, even though his shooting really sucked *** when he played with us (WTF?), I think he's presence was a big component to our WCF run and I think we need something like that going forward. I'm not certain who or what that would be. Even an argument could be made for a Wes Matthews.

I think JJ, Diaw and Hill filled that role. They are the steadying vet hand while players like Hayward, Gobert, Favors and Hood get that playoff experience.

I think JJ, Diaw and Hill filled that role. They are the steadying vet hand while players like Hayward, Gobert, Favors and Hood get that playoff experience.

I'm just thinking a more vocal leader.

I'm just thinking a more vocal leader.

oh ok. Well I think Hayward and Gobert took steps in that direction this year but they need to get better at it. I cannot point out an overly vocal leader. Gobert is the best candidate for that IMO.

He's just a flawed person like most people are. He had a squeaky clean image and now people are getting to know his less perfect side over the years. This could be a case study in how people are built up and torn down by the media in today's information age. I'm not saying it is even the media's fault, as he is doing the things. It's just that players are often presented unrealistically until they mess up. Then it's open season.

Fisher can go kick rocks. Not a fan.

But like Cy said, he isn't married. Also, because he is a person of faith he won't mess up? Good luck with that line of thinking.

Give him the same punishment anyone else would get for a DUI.

I'm guessing he will get off light because of who he is. I wish he would get the same punishment as anyone else would get for a DUI.

One of the reports I came upon said he was drinking while they were doing the investigation. lol wtf?

What would you do if you just rolled a vehicle? I'd grab a bottle of Redd Stagg from the trunk an find a large rock to park my arse on. Take about ten shots an thank God I was still alive. Fisher probably was not drunk before his rollover.

What a sick human being.

I have zero sympathy for millionaires who drive drunk.

Call a ****ing uber or cab. Zero excuses.

When you are drunk enough to drive a car and flip it over, chances are you are too drunk to make rationale decisions, and even worse, might have a serious drinking problem or a personality that does not handle alcohol well.

I'm guessing he will get off light because of who he is. I wish he would get the same punishment as anyone else would get for a DUI.

Who gets off DUI's this severe? The primary punishment in DUI's are financial, so yeah, rich people can handle the consequences much easier.

Who gets off DUI's this severe? The primary punishment in DUI's are financial, so yeah, rich people can handle the consequences much easier.

Rich people get off easier all the time. Particularly when sentences involve time served. Part of it has to do with the attorneys they can afford.

Rich people get off easier all the time. Particularly when sentences involve time served. Part of it has to do with the attorneys they can afford.

Yeah, this is a first offense DUI, not a vehicular manslaughter charge. Unless the officer messed up some kind of protocol, there isn't much getting around a DUI.

Drinking and driving is bad and people shouldn't do it. It's crazy to me how judgemental people are on this though. Driving while talking on a cell phone or speeding are equally bad as drunk driving and most people do those things regularly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JazzFanz mobile app

Not to mention losing your license as well. For a rich person, no big deal, just hire someone to drive you. For the common person, it's a HUGE deal to lose your license.

Not to mention losing your license as well. For a rich person, no big deal, just hire someone to drive you. For the common person, it's a HUGE deal to lose your license.

In Australia being caught drink driving can prohibit you from entering some emergency services, you'll have almost no chance of obtaining a liquor licence and although the police will never admit it, they flag your licence plate so you are forever pulled over after you serve your suspension.

Driving while talking on a cell phone or speeding are equally bad as drunk driving and most people do those things regularly.

One difference between driving while talking on a cell phone and drunk driving is that if you're on a cell phone and approaching a congested area where a delayed reaction time could cause issues you can always say, "Hang on, can't talk for a bit" or even "Bye, I'll call you back later." You can't do that if drunk. Plus, it would seem that talking on a cell phone just impairs your reaction time whereas drunk driving impairs your JUDGMENT as well as your reaction time.

One difference between driving while talking on a cell phone and drunk driving is that if you're on a cell phone and approaching a congested area where a delayed reaction time could cause issues you can always say, "Hang on, can't talk for a bit" or even "Bye, I'll call you back later." You can't do that if drunk. Plus, it would seem that talking on a cell phone just impairs your reaction time whereas drunk driving impairs your JUDGMENT as well as your reaction time.
You can, but when something happens it's too late to do that and most people don't.

There are obviously huge scale of drunk driving as well. A lot of people around the .08 level driving are probably driving more defensively and conservative than the average driver.

We could also continue the list of things like eating, putting on makeup, driving while tired, texting and so on that like speeding are actually more dangerous than drunk driving but societies reaction is much different to those.

Almost every driver on the road makes selfish decisions that puts people's lives at risk around them. We just choose as a society to be more judgemental and punishing of someone doing one of those that statistically isn't the most dangerous.

A lot of people around the .08 level driving are probably driving more defensively and conservative than the average driver.

This was me. I have drank and drove many many many times. So many that I can't even put a ballpark figure on it. (I have not drank and drive even once since the birth of my daughter. She just turned a year old. Thank god Uber is so awesome. Taxis suck)
Whenever I was drunk driving I drove slower, paid closer attention to what I was doing, told passengers (if there were any) to be quiet, etc.
I focused much more on my driving when I drove drunk due to the fear of a minor driving mistake (forgetting to use a blinker, not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, etc) getting me a DUI.

When i drive sober I pay much less attention to my driving. I eat, mess with the radio, check my phone, speed, don't stop completely at stop signs, forget to use my blinker, rubber neck the things going on around me, etc etc etc.... stuff I would never do while driving drunk.

Plus I was usually driving drunk late at night/early morning when there is much less traffic too.

Some food for thought.

You can, but when something happens it's too late to do that and most people don't.

There are obviously huge scale of drunk driving as well. A lot of people around the .08 level driving are probably driving more defensively and conservative than the average driver.

We could also continue the list of things like eating, putting on makeup, driving while tired, texting and so on that like speeding are actually more dangerous than drunk driving but societies reaction is much different to those.

Almost every driver on the road makes selfish decisions that puts people's lives at risk around them. We just choose as a society to be more judgemental and punishing of someone doing one of those that statistically isn't the most dangerous.
According to https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/...tions/by_the_numbers/drunk_driving/index.html alcohol was involved in 47 percent of pedestrian fatalities and 40 percent of vehicle occupant fatalities in 2010. Considering the extremely low percentage of drunk drivers compared to speeders and people talking on the phone I think it's safe to say driving drink is a FAR more dangerous behavior.

There's a difference between 0.08 driving and drunk driving imo.

Also, while we may think we are driving more cautiously when we're drunk, in reality, we aren't.

Everytime I see someone swerving in between lanes on I-15 they are on their ****ing phone.

PS if a corrola or a ford truck honks at you and starts giving you the hang up the phone hand signal then you should hang up the phone. I'm raging, I may follow you home.