What's new

Elijah Millsap: Lindsey in exit interview: “if u say one more word, I’ll cut your Black *** and send you back to Louisiana”.

You are weaponizing words, don't you see that? So what is DL supposed to say, I'm going to send your colorful *** back to Louisiana, does that satisfy you?
How about, "You won't have a place on this team"? Gets the point across without most of the baggage.

Your story is a travesty. Sucks.

However, this phrase is absurd. I lived in Colombia for 2.5 years, Mexico for 2 years, I have traveled to 18 states in a wide range of pueblos in Mexico on a dozen trips there, I have spent meaningful time up and down Chile, Peru, Spain, the Dominican Republic, and other Latin countries where I was the only person who was cacausian and... sure enough... I would say that the role was reversed at some level as I was the minority in restaurants, pueblos, tiangis, and meetings frequently.

I have been called GRINGO a million times throughout my travels. That hasn't changed in the last few years. It is not the kindest of terms. But I certainly don't hold it against people or internalize it or make it a public shaming.

When I was alone in Saudi Arabia (and I don't speak farsi) and a shop manager yelled 'Amerikee' while pointing at me angrily, I certainly felt like a minority in that moment. Far from home. Unable to speak the language. On a limited foreign visa in a land foreign to me with an angry man yelling the only word I could undertstand... with Bush and later Obama at home pissing Saudis off. Needless to say, I was not in a position of power.

The position can be reversed if you reside outside of the US. And it can be just as uncomfortable.
Just to add to your point. I'm from Peru and 've spent substantial time living overseas (LAC, Europe, USA, SE Asia, etc). It's not easy to fit when you are an expat, especially if you don't speak the language. Regarding your experience in Latin America, although you might be in a minority, oftentimes it comes with perks. Some landlords will prefer having an expat instead of a local. Banks treat you differently. Big corporations or businesses will look at your foreign/american education as a plus, leading to higher salaries when compared to locals. On the other hand, your nationality might determine how people treate you: for example, my experience in Iran was fabulous. Nicest people on the planet. For you it might be different (at least better than SA...in Iran making people feel welcomed is an important value).

So I see being a minority in a foreign country can be challenging, but it also comes with advantages, especially if you are white (think for instance how Filipinos or Indians might be treated in a place like Dubai in comparison with an american, or Venezuelans in some parts of Colombia/Peru)

How about, "You won't have a place on this team"? Gets the point across without most of the baggage.
There was really no phrasing that Millsap was going to be OK with. Ever had someone tell you aren't good enough to do what you want to do? The guy has convinced himself that the only team that gave him a chance is now the reason he can't live his dream.

Reacting to criticism isn't ever really rational.

I’ve said it many times this new wave social justice snowflake ******** is not my cup of tea. But if we want to make changes let’s do it. It doesn’t hurt me, I am not a privileged ******* that works for an nba team.

we got rid of that evil white owner, the problem is we got another white one. Let’s have The Smiths sell to a minority. Just an idea maybe Donovan’s mom would want to buy it?

2. fire all white managers and replace them with qualified minorities.

3. fire Quin and replace with qualified minority.

4. Trade Bojan and Joe

5. we may be required to move the team to a more “diverse” market. Because diversity of course is better. Oh and diversity only refers to your race nothing else..

We have a long way to go to, let’s get working do we can get there.! Equality for all! Let’s start the firing! Woo woo!

There was really no phrasing that Millsap was going to be OK with. Ever had someone tell you aren't good enough to do what you want to do? The guy has convinced himself that the only team that gave him a chance is now the reason he can't live his dream.

Reacting to criticism isn't ever really rational.
I agree completely. This was only offered as a way of saying the same thing with the social baggage, but you are probably right Millsap gets offended either way.

Has there been any further developments? I haven't seen anything in social media or in the news recently. Last thing was Milsap complaining that no matter what the investigation won't be fair. Have any players come forward on either side yet? I am curious how this is going to develop.

Or does it just fade out, with no further mention really?

Don't know if you all saw this one:

“Like if you’re talking to somebody, they’re like, ‘How’s Utah? How’s Salt Lake? Are there a lot of Black people there,?'” Conley said by phone this week. “They ask questions like that — ‘are people cool there? What’s it like? Because I heard this, I heard that.’ And you kind of have to set it straight, like man, nah, it’s nothing like what you heard. People here are great. The weather’s actually really great. It’s a fun place to be. I think guys are starting to realize that, and when you’ve built a great culture, a winning culture, I think it’s a lot easier for players to want to look into the opportunity to be here.”

The irony is that the conversation with Conley came a day before a tweet on Wednesday from former Jazz player Elijah Millsap, in which Millsap, who played in Utah from 2014 through 2016, claimed Utah’s executive vice president and former general manager Dennis Lindsey made a racist remark to him during Millsap’s April, 2015 exit interview following the Jazz’s season.

At least one former Black executive with the Jazz is publicly vouching for Lindsey.

Andrae Patterson, who worked in Utah from 2015-17 as player personnel/player programs coordinator, reached out to me Thursday night.

“My experience and interactions as well as my training with Dennis Lindsey has always been about being respectful and as much of an anti-racist in personal and business life whenever possible,” said Patterson, who’s now the Cavaliers’ Senior Director of Basketball Operations. Patterson wanted to be clear that he wasn’t in any way casting aspersions on Elijah Millsap’s accusations, but wanted to speak up based on his personal interactions with Lindsey, whom Patterson calls a friend.

Conley, traded from the Grizzlies in 2019, would also be a high-profile free agent next summer. It would be his last chance, at 33, to get a major payday, whether with Utah or elsewhere. But he’s made it clear he wants to re-sign with the Jazz – and specifically mentioned Lindsey first as why Black players are comfortable there.

“I think that’s a testament to the culture that Dennis Lindsey, JZ, Quin, the whole staff, ownership, Ryan Smith, the Millers before him, tried to bring here,” Conley said Tuesday. “Over the years, that stigma is changing. I think guys are understanding. I only knew what I knew about Salt Lake City from when I visited through playing here. I never came here, spent time or anything. Once you get here and you’re around it, you’re around the people and how special a place it is, how special a basketball environment it is. It’s truly a great place to play basketball.”

Sounds like Conley is coaching material
Maybe hire as an assistant and groom for head coach
Highly respected by all in league

Last edited:
Of course, that doen't give him a right to call someone "racist sympathizer". Sticking up for bigotry and downright hateful comments when fighting bigotry and hateful comments really ruins your point.
Truth hurts sometimes. If he’s right he’s right. The fact it bugs you so much is telling. Weather on the net or in an actual real life setting I do and say a lot of stuff that causes a reaction from others. Being falsely accused of wing this or that doesn’t bother me, but those things that are true, truth hurts.

Has there been any further developments? I haven't seen anything in social media or in the news recently. Last thing was Milsap complaining that no matter what the investigation won't be fair. Have any players come forward on either side yet? I am curious how this is going to develop.

Or does it just fade out, with no further mention really?
No, it will be filed away and marched out a couple years from now as being pretty much proven true whenever someone wants to disparage the Utah Jazz. It will take a while for the details to fade and the strength of the accusation to remain.

Whatever career milestone DL reaches that is newsworthy will also contain a paragraph containing Millsap's accusation with none of the facts in the matter (like Quin's denial that the incident happened.)

So it seems like this story was a very small blip on the whole overall radar. I expect nothing to happen at this point.

Everything I read just builds up DL and breaks down EM’s case little by little. Unfortunately the only two who will really know the truth is Millsap and DL, probably. Personally, I I think Millsap should’ve confronted DL especially since Millsap already said publicly that he doesn’t think DL is a racist. So, my question is wether it happened or not, why is he trying to destroy DL’s personal career. To free himself as he puts it, he should’ve confronted DL personally to free himself rather than ruining his career over a mistake. I get it though, saying to a black person that your going to cut his black *** is very bad, but I’m also going off the fact Millsap doesn’t think DL is racist, this makes me think Millsap has an agenda. IMO Millsap should’ve came out after it happened, he’ll a few months after it happened, but 6 years later, I have a hard time with that.

I’m not trying to say DL isn’t guilty, or that Millsap is lying, but circumstances show Millsap in a bad light. I really wish Millsap had confronted DL first, I don’t know?

So it seems like this story was a very small blip on the whole overall radar. I expect nothing to happen at this point.
Yeah, coverage has been pretty low. I guess some websites got some clicks that day, but the story has basically died. Probably Andy Larsen "no triple doubles since 2008" story is getting more hits at this point.

I’ve said it many times this new wave social justice snowflake ******** is not my cup of tea. But if we want to make changes let’s do it. It doesn’t hurt me, I am not a privileged ******* that works for an nba team.

we got rid of that evil white owner, the problem is we got another white one. Let’s have The Smiths sell to a minority. Just an idea maybe Donovan’s mom would want to buy it?

2. fire all white managers and replace them with qualified minorities.

3. fire Quin and replace with qualified minority.

4. Trade Bojan and Joe

5. we may be required to move the team to a more “diverse” market. Because diversity of course is better. Oh and diversity only refers to your race nothing else..

We have a long way to go to, let’s get working do we can get there.! Equality for all! Let’s start the firing! Woo woo!

First, I realize this is meant as an exaggeration or whatever and that you're not serious.

That said, the point you seem to be trying to make is so far off the mark it's silly.

Truth hurts sometimes. If he’s right he’s right. The fact it bugs you so much is telling. Weather on the net or in an actual real life setting I do and say a lot of stuff that causes a reaction from others. Being falsely accused of wing this or that doesn’t bother me, but those things that are true, truth hurts.
Ok smart guy which racist am I apologizing for? Let's hear it and provide examples. Explain to me how saying "we should wait" before making judgement is sympathizing racism? I bet you can't. Cy said we should fire him, I said let's excercise patience. That is in noway sympathizing with a racist.

Also specifically what is he right about?

Last edited:
Ok smart guy which racist am I apologizing for? Let's hear it and provide examples. Explain to me how saying "we should wait" before making judgement is sympathizing racism? I bet you can't. Cy said we should fire him, I said let's excercise patience. That is in noway sympathizing with a racist.

Also specifically what is he right about?
Being an apologist is not literally apologizing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using JazzFanz mobile app

For what! Saying we should wait for more facts?
I'm still not sure you understand that apologetics has nothing to do with apologizing. That said I don't remember what started all this at all. I just know you let Cy get you all worked up when that's his whole thing he does.

Sent from my SM-G973U using JazzFanz mobile app