What's new

Elijah Millsap: Lindsey in exit interview: “if u say one more word, I’ll cut your Black *** and send you back to Louisiana”.

Millsap appeared in only two more NBA games after the Jazz waived him, and said he believes the team has not spoken well of him when other teams asked about his background. He said he still works out for several hours a day and would like to resume his playing career.

Millsap said he doesn't have any specific resolution that would satisfy him in mind.

"These guys, they had the opportunity to tell people the truth about who I was," Millsap said. "And they didn't do that. That's disgusting to me."

The more Millsap says about this the less I believe him. He is now coming across more like a bitter girlfriend. Now he is claiming that the jazz were bad mouthing him to other teams and that is why he didn't last in the nba. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with him being so bad offensively that he is completely unplayable. That wouldn't make any sense.
Careful. There are those in this thread that will point out your weight and potential slobbiness if you try to bring any semblance of balance to the discussion. Cancel culture is HEAVILY defended in this thread. DL must be eviscerated, there is no other option.

Whats weird is that is seems out of character from DL.

But why would Elijah make it up? Maybe DL did say it, but they were having a heated convo. Maybe he made that mistake in the heat of the moment.
I do applaud for Elijah stating that he doesn't think DL is racist. That does help.

"Millsap appeared in only two more NBA games after the Jazz waived him, and said he believes the team has not spoken well of him when other teams asked about his background. He said he still works out for several hours a day and would like to resume his playing career."
If he wanted to continue his playing career he should have gone overseas. He was clearly not an nba caliber player. To think otherwise means he has an ego the size of a house.

But why would Elijah make it up? Maybe DL did say it, but they were having a heated convo. Maybe he made that mistake in the heat of the moment.
I do applaud for Elijah stating that he doesn't think DL is racist. That does help.

Look at the few posts ahead he said he feels like the Jazz blackballed him to the rest of the league. More than enough to be a motive to lie I think. Not saying he is or isn’t but the motive is definitely there.

You applaud him for stating that he doesn't think DL is racist yet that is exactly what he implies? Also you can clearly tell from the article that Millsap has an irrational level of confidence in himself if he thinks the jazz had anything to do with him not getting another shot in the league. The guy is clearly delusional when it comes to his actual level of play.

Off main topic but to me I always though Elijah got a pretty good opportunity due to Paul and the respect the Jazz had for him. I remember even thinking back then that he probably wouldn't make any other team.

Sad I have to say this but that's not me hating on him, that's me stating my honest opinion that I had even back in the day.

Wrong thread

Last edited:
I may have to take back that he could have continued his career overseas. Here are his stats overseas.

Even in the gleague his shooting percentages were terrible after the jazz let him go.

Hopefully they release the notes because I'm curious as to why DL would threaten to cut him in the first place.

Hopefully they release the notes because I'm curious as to why DL would threaten to cut him in the first place.
I'm really interested to see if from the notes you can get an idea of the intensity of the meeting because I can now understand how it could get heated. You have a player with the ego of a star and the game of a borderline nba player and coaches that probably gave the critique that you would expect for a borderline nba player. Based on speaking with Rich Cho who used to be the gm of the hornets and blazers he said the exit interviews for minimum contract guys were always management and coaches giving a breakdown of the guys game and what they needed to focus on in the offseason. Not once did it ever get heated with a player.

It would be shining a light on power dynamics and use of racially charged language in the workplace. It's not just for him, but for any POC who might have experienced a similar interaction with person who has power over their livelihood. I see why he went public. Going private wouldn't help anything. The fact that you are asking that question tells me you don't have the ability to emphasize.

If by emphasize you mean empathize I’m perfectly capable. If I’m trying to put myself in his shoes (empathize) and someone said something totally out of character of which I have not experienced before or since at that place of work. I’m not sure I would think it was some sort of major issue. I’d probably give it some time (probably 5 years and 11.5 months short of six years) to ask the guy “hey, when you said that to me, it seemed abrasive and out of character, and it bothers me. Can you tell me what that was about?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I do agree with you that this might have been a better look in some senses ("let's hear each other out privately as reasonable men"), I think you're overlooking the power dynamics that are (still) at play.

To take an extreme example (that is clearly not exactly parallel, but I hope gives a sense of something of the possible issues at stake), imagine that the charge was that a boss (or former boss) raped an employee. If the boss was confronted by a reporter about the accusation and then said something like, "I don't agree, but I'm going to reach out to the accuser and try to make things right," there would be all kinds of red flags raised about whether the boss was using his power to try to minimize the issue or even use the power differential he still possessed to make the accusation go away or even punish or otherwise regain power over the accuser in some way.

Now racial power dynamics don't play out exactly the same as sexual power dynamics, but I think there are enough parallels in this instance that Lindsey wouldn't necessarily have been better served to have gone the "let me try to make things right with Elijah privately" route. (In fact, I just saw a tweet from Millsap subsequent to his initial statement about the exit interview to the effect that he's less interested in "making things right" than speaking the truth with integrity.)

Whether Millsap intended things to play out like they have (and he might have, though sometimes once actions are taken, they lead in not-fully-anticipated directions), I think given the way the social climate and news media work these days, once the accusation went public it would have been hard for Lindsey and Millsap to just reach out to each other as more or less "equals." Maybe somewhere down the line, they might be able to do so, but probably not at first.

You can deny without dismissing concerns. It's really not difficult at all. It is as easy as saying "I did not say that, but I'm willing to hear Elijah's side of the story". It's not about public versus private. It's about giving concern for these issues.

I totally disagree with the notion that you shouldn't reach out to Elijah because it may look like you are using your power to silence him anyways. Imagine being Elijah, how patronizing is that? Like, it's better for him to just be called a liar because the act of hearing him out might raise red flags about him being silenced?

Elijah is an equal. You should not treat him as less than equal because of the fear that it make him look less than equal. Seems like a really a backwards idea that you're presenting.

I thought I posted this before but apparently I forgot to finish it.

Basically, it's this: If someone said to someone who is white, I'm going to send your white *** back to Louisiana, no one would say anything about it. Can anyone else see that the karma is not balanced here? Why are they censoring the word aass -- ???

"Obviously, I know my truth," Millsap said in an interview with The Associated Press.

This, along with his belief that the Jazz blackballed him are starting to make me feel like this is all made up. Anytime someone says "my truth" instead of "the truth", I become very skeptical. There is no Millsap truth and there is no Dennis Lindsey truth. There is just the truth. If you have to clarify that it is "your truth", you are admitting that there are potential differences between your truth and reality. Very questionable.

You can deny without dismissing concerns. It's really not difficult at all. It is as easy as saying "I did not say that, but I'm willing to hear Elijah's side of the story". It's not about public versus private. It's about giving concern for these issues.

I totally disagree with the notion that you shouldn't reach out to Elijah because it may look like you are using your power to silence him anyways. Imagine being Elijah, how patronizing is that? Like, it's better for him to just be called a liar because the act of hearing him out might raise red flags about him being silenced?

Elijah is an equal. You should not treat him as less than equal because of the fear that it make him look less than equal. Seems like a really a backwards idea that you're presenting.
If Elijah actually is lying like Lindsey is stating then there is no way he should reach out to him. We are talking about someone that is trying to destroy Dennis Lindsey and make no mistake about it that is Millsap's intention here. If it wasn't his intention then he would have actually called him to discuss this.

If the guy has NBA talent virtually every team will be beating a path to his door. I don't buy that blackball angle. He was called up from the GLeague about the same time as Bryce Cotton and Jack Cooley. Both those guys are playing overseas after their lack of NBA talent was apparent.

He thinks the Jazz organization trashed him to other teams and that is the reason his NBA career didn't continue. He continues to work out and thinks he may resume his NBA career at some point.

I mean is it possible that what he calls the Jazz FO trashing him was the Jazz FO giving an honest opinion about what kind of player he is? And that he's not fully grounded in reality and thinks the only reason he isn't on a roster is because of the Jazz FO, specifically DL?

And maybe in that conversation DL was telling him that he needed to get better in areas where Elijah felt he was super awesome already, and maybe Elijah tried to flip it back on the Jazz saying the reason he didn't succeeded was because of how they screwed up? And DL told him something close to what he remembers, but he has such a negative view of the franchise and DL that he thinks cost him his NBA career that over the course of 6 years that conversation has taken on a life of it's own in his head?

For me the more info that comes out on this the more I think this is a non-issue. I already think it's a relatively minor issue even if Elijah's 100% right about DL's comment. Not a non-issue, not a "it doesn't matter at all" issue. But not some major bombshell that will derail the Jazz season and cost DL his job.

It will be interesting to see if Paul comes out with a statement on this. You would think that Elijah would have told Paul about this right away.