What's new

Game Thread: Utah @ BYU, Sat. 9/21 8:15pm MT, ESPN2

thomas_s_monson_MD.jpg

Good thinking YB... everyone post a pic of your favorite person.

I think it will be beck.

With unga, van noy, and fua, this should not be a huge loss as long as no one else gets hurt.

Frustrating though, and bad timing

Coverage takes a hit and both Beck and Jorgensen don't take very good angles - which can be masked somewhat from the inside. Maybe Utah goes Murphy over the middle more than usual. Personally, I hope BYU goes with Pikula. He's playing out of position as an outside linebacker, and now they have the perfect reason to move him back. He'll probably start inside next year anyway - might as well go that route now and get him some reps.

byu's players, coaches, and fans never cease to amaze me.

byu has lost to Utah 3 years in a row, lost 8 of the last 11 meetings, and the last time they played the Utes at home they suffered an epic 54-10 beatdown, yet to a man they all believe they are the superior team and "deserve" to win the game on Saturday.

Obviously it matters little what the fans think, but it's absolutely insane that byu's coaches carry this attitude and pass it along to their players.

Utah lapped byu as a program several years ago, then the invite to the Pac 12 cemented the fact that we are no longer equals. It has shown on and off the field in both recruiting and on the scoreboard.

byu has every reason in the world to come into this game as the scrappy underdog willing to fight for every inch to prove they belong on the field with Utah, but instead they come into the game just like they have every year, over confident and believing victory is theirs.

I honestly thought after 54-10 that this would never be the case again, that Utah would never be the team that is able to come into the game with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. It's obvious now that it's a cultural thing and will never leave byu, and that's why Utah will win again this year.

byu has lost to Utah 3 years in a row, lost 8 of the last 11 meetings, and the last time they played the Utes at home they suffered an epic 54-10 beatdown, yet to a man they all believe they are the superior team and "deserve" to win the game on Saturday.

Where are you getting that from? Do they think they are the superior team? Perhaps. I certainly HOPE they feel that way. If you don't go into a game feeling like you are the better team, then you've pretty much lost before the game even starts. Do they think they "deserve" to win? I certainly nope not. And I haven't seen any quotes by any players or coaches that indicate that.

Where are you getting that from? Do they think they are the superior team? Perhaps. I certainly HOPE they feel that way. If you don't go into a game feeling like you are the better team, then you've pretty much lost before the game even starts. Do they think they "deserve" to win? I certainly nope not. And I haven't seen any quotes by any players or coaches that indicate that.

What I am talking about is the "us against the world" mentality that everyone should want their football team to have. The feeling that nobody but the people in the locker room believe you can win. The feeling that you've been disrespected.

Amazingly, Utah was the team that had that edge last year even coming off of 54-LOL and they 100% have that edge again this year.

Who do you know that is saying Utah will win?

Obviously it matters little what the fans think, but it's absolutely insane that byu's coaches carry this attitude and pass it along to their players.

Utah lapped byu as a program several years ago, then the invite to the Pac 12 cemented the fact that we are no longer equals. It has shown on and off the field in both recruiting and on the scoreboard.

byu has every reason in the world to come into this game as the scrappy underdog willing to fight for every inch to prove they belong on the field with Utah, but instead they come into the game just like they have every year, over confident and believing victory is theirs.

I honestly thought after 54-10 that this would never be the case again, that Utah would never be the team that is able to come into the game with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. It's obvious now that it's a cultural thing and will never leave byu, and that's why Utah will win again this year.

Preach it brotha, preach it! Even Vegas is against you, and by 7. That cursed Vegas culture is so similar to the BYU culture and both think BYU will win, a bunch of morans I say. Get back in your underdog mentality, get the chip on your shoulder, show Conan you are not the little bro anymore. It's you against the world......... again.

Preach it brotha, preach it! Even Vegas is against you, and by 7. That cursed Vegas culture is so similar to the BYU culture and both think BYU will win, a bunch of morans I say. Get back in your underdog mentality, get the chip on your shoulder, show Conan you are not the little bro anymore. It's you against the world......... again.

Hey, nice try. Getting better Spazz!

£¥£ Retiring at 20,000 £¥£

A. Its a new year....last year dont matter, year before don't matter, the last 20 years don't matter..... only this year matters for this game.

B. Like spazz said, byu is favored by a good margin, they are coming off a bye, playing at home, and are ranked higher than the Utes.

Having said that, this game still scares me plenty, but I dont know why you find it odd for byu fans to be confident with thier chance to win this particular game on saturday night. (Past is the past bro)

A. Its a new year....last year dont matter, year before don't matter, the last 20 years don't matter..... only this year matters for this game.

B. Like spazz said, byu is favored by a good margin, they are coming off a bye, playing at home, and are ranked higher than the Utes.

Having said that, this game still scares me plenty, but I dont know why you find it odd for byu fans to be confident with thier chance to win this particular game on saturday night. (Past is the past bro)

LMAO yesssssss.

You're the freaking man fish, but you just proved my point.

byu IS the little guy with something to prove, but luckily doesn't see themselves that way, thus losing their edge.

How many other rivalries are as one sided as this, with the team being beat down every year remaining the overly confident team? None.

I love how Lil Brother fans have convinced themselves that the PAC invited them because of their "outstanding" athletics. It's like watching Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes think he has outsmarted his parents when in reality his parents have outsmarted him. But in his lil mind, he is the superior being.

In reality, ask anyone outside SL county and they'll explain easily in 3 mins or less the real reasons why Colorado and Utah were invited into the PAC. It had nothing to do with how good their teams were/are.

And you'd think, after 3 years of being the PAC's doormat in everything except gymnastics, would have reminded Lil Bro fans of that.

All well! I will give you this, your bball team is improving. Maybe you guys might make the NIT in a few years!!!

Wait, Colton, I don't have near the level of education that you do, so please, help me out...

Am I reading that Utah "cares less" about this rivalry than BYU? Am I correctly reading on this message board, Utah fans calling BYU fans the "little guy with something to prove?" Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsTs9QhQNU

Sorry Thriller, but BYU does have something prove and not because Ute fans say so. Van Noy was the one pointing to the Utah game on media day, he was also the one who just referred to Utah as "The Super Bowl". Hard to imagine he is the only one in the locker room who feels that way. BYU has lost 3 straight and is the team that keeps pointing to this game.

It's not smack talk to say that BYU has put the onus squarely on themselves this week. If they go out and back it up, that's one thing, but if they suffer yet another loss, they only have themselves to blame for the fallout. Ya gotta do more than talk a good game.

Sorry Thriller, but BYU does have something prove and not because Ute fans say so. Van Noy was the one pointing to the Utah game on media day, he was also the one who just referred to Utah as "The Super Bowl". Hard to imagine he is the only one in the locker room who feels that way. BYU has lost 3 straight and is the team that keeps pointing to this game.

It's not smack talk to say that BYU has put the onus squarely on themselves this week. If they go out and back it up, that's one thing, but if they suffer yet another loss, they only have themselves to blame for the fallout. Ya gotta do more than talk a good game.

It is the Super Bowl for BOTH teams. You folks aren't going to the Rose Bowl. Looking at your schedule, you'll be very lucky to even be bowl eligible this year. So stop, just stop.

How often have fans with suspenders gone after any other coach in the Pac-12? True, you folks only have a handful of wins over the past few years in your conference. But I don't ever recall suspenders boy going after Colorado's head coach... Cal's coach... Have you beaten anybody else in your conference? I know you came close to beating Oregon St. 4th and 9! So close! Maybe next time?

If you only lose by 30 to Arizona St. this year will suspenders boy go after their coach? That is basically a win for you guys against them, right?

If BYU games are the only games where fans are going after the opposing coach, I'd say that Utah fans aren't quite "over" this rivalry as they say they are. Admit it, you're still not over us. You never will be, lil brother. You're our Ying to our Yang. You're our Rianna to our Chris Brown. You know this 2 year hiatus is going to sting. Especially after we whip your butts on Saturday.

It is the Super Bowl for BOTH teams. You folks aren't going to the Rose Bowl. Looking at your schedule, you'll be very lucky to even be bowl eligible this year. So stop, just stop.

How often have fans with suspenders gone after any other coach in the Pac-12? True, you folks only have a handful of wins over the past few years in your conference. But I don't ever recall suspenders boy going after Colorado's head coach... Cal's coach... Have you beaten anybody else in your conference? I know you came close to beating Oregon St. 4th and 9! So close! Maybe next time?

If you only lose by 30 to Arizona St. this year will suspenders boy go after their coach? That is basically a win for you guys against them, right?

If BYU games are the only games where fans are going after the opposing coach, I'd say that Utah fans aren't quite "over" this rivalry as they say they are. Admit it, you're still not over us. You never will be, lil brother. You're our Ying to our Yang. You're our Rianna to our Chris Brown. You know this 2 year hiatus is going to sting. Especially after we whip your butts on Saturday.

I think Utah's "SuperBowl" this year will be against Oregon or Stanford.

I've got to go to SLC today so I'll be wearing a BYU shirt. Maybe take a stroll around the U campus in it. I'm expecting yawns and kisses.