What's new

Gay marriage in Utah put on hold

I appreciate you have a very strong opinion on this, and for you it is firmly founded. I have no expectation you will change your mind.

That's why I don't usually enter gay marriage discussions. The same is true of both sides--opinions are very strong, and it's highly unlikely either side can/will say anything to cause the other side to change its mind.

That said, when you are defending the position formulated by Beantown against the position of Darkwing Duck, I really think it's time to carefully examine if those strong emotions are coloring your judgement regarding the worth of the particular argument being used.

I haven't mentioned anything remotely religious yet in anything I've said about gay marriage recently, since I feel that no religious arguments are needed, but perhaps now is the time to break out a religious quote. Regardless of how you feel about Beantown, I think I'm standing in good company when I agree with Gordon B. Hinckley, Thomas S. Monson, and James E. Faust--to whom traditional marriage was clearly important and clearly different than gay marriage.

WE, THE FIRST PRESIDENCY and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children.
THE FIRST COMMANDMENT that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.

WE DECLARE the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God’s eternal plan.
THE FAMILY is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity.

That's mainly for the benefit of the pro gay marriage LDS members in the crowd (because I don't expect the nonLDS people to necessarily value the opinion of those men, but hopefully the LDS members do). While I'm the first to admit that LDS church leaders are fallible (yes, even the prophet), to use One Brow's phrase I would very carefully examine (i.e. ponder and pray) the strong emotions coloring my judgment regarding the worth of the particular arguments being used if I were that opposed to their clear teachings (in my opinion) on the subject.

test_tube_23373_lg.gif

Still requires one woman and one man= heterosexual

That's why I don't usually enter gay marriage discussions. The same is true of both sides--opinions are very strong, and it's highly unlikely either side can/will say anything to cause the other side to change its mind.

I haven't mentioned anything remotely religious yet in anything I've said about gay marriage recently, since I feel that no religious arguments are needed, but perhaps now is the time to break out a religious quote. Regardless of how you feel about Beantown, I think I'm standing in good company when I agree with Gordon B. Hinckley, Thomas S. Monson, and James E. Faust--to whom traditional marriage was clearly important and clearly different than gay marriage.

That's mainly for the benefit of the pro gay marriage LDS members in the crowd (because I don't expect the nonLDS people to necessarily value the opinion of those men, but hopefully the LDS members do). While I'm the first to admit that LDS church leaders are fallible (yes, even the prophet), to use One Brow's phrase I would very carefully examine (i.e. ponder and pray) the strong emotions coloring my judgment regarding the worth of the particular arguments being used if I were that opposed to their clear teachings (in my opinion) on the subject.

As a very active Mo (I'm Jack, nice to meet you), I have no problem with anything you said there. I don't begrudge these men their beliefs or teachings. Like you and them, I agree, traditional marriage is clearly important and clearly different than gay marriage. That doesn't mean that just because someone chooses to be different than me, it is my duty to force them to be like me, or take away/deny them basic human rights and freedoms because they don't. It really is very simple: Love one another. Be excellent to each other. Party on, dude.

So a childless marriage isn't a family then. Gotcha.

A couple who adopts a child isn't a family. Gotcha.

-A childless marriage is not a family by definition. Which is why married couples say that want to "make a family".

-When a couple adopts.....that child is born through heterosexual relations.

Damn you stupid.

Biologically yes. If homosexuality is evolutionary trait then it is a "weak" trait.

So if someone has downs, I suppose that could be an evolutionary trait that is "weak" also then? I'm seriously asking, because your implications are scary.

Gay couples who want to have kids are going to adopt whether or they're married. Or at least they'll try. This is speculation but I bet the ones that can't for whatever reason will try and get a kid on their own, and then will still live with their partner. Or see them often. I don't know how adoption works. But by stopping them from getting married you're already hurting this kid.

Would these non-adopted kids be better off in an orphanage, or a foster home or in a loving family that happens to have same-sex parents?

By preventing people from shacking up you're just being a ****ing *******. And showing a complete lack of empathy for gay people. Put yourself in someone else's shoes for like, ten minutes... that really should be enoough.

As a very active Mo (I'm Jack, nice to meet you), I have no problem with anything you said there. I don't begrudge these men their beliefs or teachings. Like you and them, I agree, traditional marriage is clearly important and clearly different than gay marriage. That doesn't mean that just because someone chooses to be different than me, it is my duty to force them to be like me, or take away/deny them basic human rights and freedoms because they don't. It really is very simple: Love one another. Be excellent to each other. Party on, dude.

Chooses to be different? Who wants to open this can of worms while speeding down a slippery slope?

Mormons believe alcohol is immoral, that smoking is immoral, that gambling is immoral... that coffee is immoral. These things aren't illegal. Where is the lobby for these things to be illegal? Why can't you be cool with allowing consenting adults to do their thing under the law while still holding moral reservations about it, as you do with so many other vices out there? Why does your belief have to be intertwined with legality? I don't understand.

Chooses to be different? Who wants to open this can of worms while speeding down a slippery slope?

Ah, good catch. That was actually a generic term I used there, and didn't specifically mean that people choose to be gay. Of course, some do, but I believe that just like I was born liking girls, some people are born liking their own sex. I know, it's crazy.

So if someone has downs, I suppose that could be an evolutionary trait that is "weak" also then? I'm seriously asking, because your implications are scary.

Lol you are so dumb. Down syndrome by its name is a "syndrome". It's an abnormality. Are you saying that homosexuality is an abnormality and a syndrome?

If homosexuality is a genetic trait that is passed on that is evolutionary weak. Its as weak as it gets. Its a trait that makes that person not pass on the genetic information to other generations.

Lol you are so dumb. Down syndrome by its name is a "syndrome". It's an abnormality. Are you saying that homosexuality is an abnormality and a syndrome?

If homosexuality is a genetic trait that is passed on that is evolutionary weak. Its as weak as it gets. Its a trait that makes that person not pass on the genetic information to other generations.

they do still reproduce - you know that, don't you?

Your assertion that a childless marriage is not a family "by deffinition" is a horrible, horrible stance. Just insanely bad. To the point that you truly need to step back from the debate for a moment and really look at what you are saying. Just damn man.

this thread is the bee's knees

EDIT: the sexual preference of said bee, will not be disclosed until this matter is resolved.

they do still reproduce - you know that, don't you?

I suspect it's very common for a same sex couple to have their children produced from one of their genetic shtuff. I know at least one couple like this.

Maybe they alternate? (ok, that was a bad non-PC joke).

Downs is a genetic trait that is passed on, so do you consider that as evolutionarily weak? Please answer my question with an answer, and not some idiotic re-question. *holds breath*

Nice Bill & Ted reference. :)