What's new

Go Warren!

Imagine for a moment what I think is the most likely scenario for either Warren's or Bernie's healthcare plan moving through congress (assuming they have a non McConnell controlled Senate of course).

They don't have the votes to pass a Medicare for All bill that completely does away with private insurance. Which one of these candidates seems most willing to compromise on this to get a public option passed?

To me it's pretty clearly Warren. It would be kind of funny to see die hard Bernie supporter's heads explode if he did end up signing a "watered down" M4All though.
IDC if Bernie couldnt get it done. I know he'd at least try and fight.

Warren taking big corporate money and cozying up to the Clintons? lmao

Kudos to @Gameface. This thread has sparked some of the best discussion in GD all off-season.

How do you all feel about the other candidates. Yang seems like a technocratic favorite and I really like Tulsi Gabbard. They don't have a realistic chance, but their ideas are worth discussing.

Last edited:
the term single payer isn’t there. You realize that, yeah? If you’re missing out on the nuance, public option means everyone gets covered (technically); but the bureaucracy of administering multiple health care insurances is kept, meaning health care costs to the country continue to balloon. It’s a bad idea.

my final post on this topic for now— heres Krystal Ball with some great Warren analysis recently:

enjoy

That video and Fox news sound very alike. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any of the content, but the presenter sounds like any presenter you would see on Fox. I think it's the way they are reading off the prompter like it's an essay?

I feel like you're arguing semantics here. Medicare for all is a single payer proposal.

semantics she chooses to leave out?
She’s a lawyer, Zombie. Don’t kid yourself. She’s decidedly vague on her healthcare plan— it’s not an accident.
Just know when she backtracks, that there was signs all along the way

semantics she chooses to leave out?
She’s a lawyer, Zombie. Don’t kid yourself. She’s decidedly vague on her healthcare plan— it’s not an accident.
Just know when she backtracks, that there was signs all along the way
Fair enough. I do think she needs to be a little more clear on how hard she'd be willing to fight for a single payer Medicare for all plan.

At the debates she seemed pretty insistent that she supported Bernie's plan, but time will tell.

Man, what y'all doing getting so mad at one another? Relax friends
Yes, it’s definitely a different take. I wonder if this primary season could perhaps tear us apart. Not to fear, however, as Trump should single handedly reunite general discussion sometime late next year.

I'm just wondering what @Gameface knows to say she's gonna win. I'm all for anyone but Trump, but you seem mighty confident. Am I missing something?

She just doesn't strike me as the next president. I hope I'm wrong. Really, I do.

the term single payer isn’t there. You realize that, yeah? If you’re missing out on the nuance, public option means everyone gets covered (technically); but the bureaucracy of administering multiple health care insurances is kept, meaning health care costs to the country continue to balloon. It’s a bad idea.

That depends upon the implementation. LogGrad98 can tell you more about it than I (based on personal experience), but my understanding is that Germany (for example) relies on private (non-profit) administrators for its public healthcare.

my final post on this topic for now— heres Krystal Ball with some great Warren analysis recently:

enjoy

This is exactly what I said 2 pages ago. Politicians like Warren tell you how you should think while politicians like Obama and Bill Clinton (and Trump) tell you how you should feel. The former type never gets enough of the left leaning electorate into the voting booths.

This will be 2004 all over again. The left thought they could win on Bush/Cheney hate alone. So they went safe and trotted out John Kerry, an experienced, capable, blow-dried politician with zero relatable qualities.

It sucks and it's wrong and it shouldn't be this way - but the fact is we're in a Reality TV world - that's why we have a Reality TV personality as President - Warren doesn't make the cut.

I haven't paid much attention to Tulsi. What ideas is she putting out there that interest folks?

Tulsi is the anti-military industrial complex candidate by nature, and supports medicare for all, hence the most attractive candidate in my eyes. That can be taken in different ways.

Elegant, presidential, cuts through like a knife. She could take Trump for a ride if given the chance.

I'm not numb to them, l just don't lend much credence to them this early in the game.
There’s some pretty dependable evidence that she’s already surging; and that she’s the one who will benefit most from a thinning field.

That depends upon the implementation. LogGrad98 can tell you more about it than I (based on personal experience), but my understanding is that Germany (for example) relies on private (non-profit) administrators for its public healthcare.

you can only opt in on private insurance if you’re making above 60some thousand euros a year; 77% of their health care expenditure is delivered by the public sector, a figure higher than UKs or Canada’s last I checked. Additionally, these sickness funds are all not for profit, which is different from what Buttigieg and Warren are offering.