What's new

Gun Control

It affects the probability someone in your family will die this year. Having a doctor discuss this with you is one way of a) providing regular reminders of the importance of safety b) in a confidential environment.

No it does not . they are locked in a safe that only my wife and I know the combination to and the keys are on my key chain that I carry with me. they have no affect on my or my families health.

I agree fish . the Hitler comparisons have no place here. come on scat

It affects the probability someone in your family will die this year. Having a doctor discuss this with you is one way of a) providing regular reminders of the importance of safety b) in a confidential environment.

In the interest of fairness I want to relate a personal experience.

My mother tried to kill herself 3 times that I know of. Each time she was unsuccessful. However, I would describe her attempts as intended to be attempts, if you know what I mean and not to be insensitive.

My sister made three attempts to kill herself. Once she was unsuccessful, twice someone intervened and saved her life, otherwise she absolutely would have died.

My father attempted suicide one time and successfully killed himself.

The difference...My father used a gun.

I do believe having a gun in the home increases the chance that someone will be harmed more than it increases the chance that someone will be saved.

That said, I support a person's right to use a gun for self defense.

Where did you get the notion that assault weapons fire rapidly? It's false but seems to be a very popular notion amongst those in favor of banning "assault weapons" so I'm genuinely interested in how this notion has come to be so wide-spread and accepted as fact.
Um, there are 20+ dead children in Newtown, Connecticut, who show how "assault weapons" or assault-like weapons such as the AR-15 fire rapidly, even if it's not automatic-rapidly.

Jared Lee Loughner killed 6 people and wounded 13 others when he was able to fire plenty rapidly with a semi-automatic gun with a large magazine. Didn't get apprehended until he had to stop to reload.

I would argue the probablity goes up. for not getting raped or murdered. assuming the have the propper firearm training.

but you go ahead and believe owning a gun decreases your live expectancy.

No it does not . they are locked in a safe that only my wife and I know the combination to and the keys are on my key chain that I carry with me. they have no affect on my or my families health.
really in my home they where never in a safe. they where in a gun case all 20 guns.
from when we get 6 year old we got training in how to use each and every gun we owned. then where freely available for us.

Um, there are 20+ dead children in Newtown, Connecticut, who show how "assault weapons" or assault-like weapons such as the AR-15 fire rapidly, even if it's not automatic-rapidly.

Jared Lee Loughner killed 6 people and wounded 13 others when he was able to fire plenty rapidly with a semi-automatic gun with a large magazine. Didn't get apprehended until he had to stop to reload.

I can easily fire a handgun as fast as he fired that rifle. That is a very poor arguement for a number of resons.

So what happened in one case is enough for you base an entire policy off of? Fair enough. Insert a case where a person having a large magazine saved their life. Oh look at that! I guess we should keep them.

1) Don't be surprised when you find one of your kids with your gun one day. Kids will watch you spin dials and can sneak keys. I certainly agree your guns are much safer there than a nightstand.
2) If every gun owner took those precautions, the mortality rate among gun owner's families would be lower, don't you agree? Do you think that having doctor's occasionally discuss this with parents won't save a few lives, and do so without requiring any other sort of intervention?

1) Don't be surprised when you find one of your kids with your gun one day. Kids will watch you spin dials and can sneak keys. I certainly agree your guns are much safer there than a nightstand.
my father aint a believer of gun "control" within the family, kids are rather curious. and will always do it behind parents back what they are not allowed to. he believed that having guns in the house with kids. the kids not need to be curious about it. so yeah 6 years old i shot some puny riffle. and tried a lady 38 taurus with my father as the years went by i could shoot more and more guns. until the day game i got to shoot the gun that scared me the most the magnum 357 smith and wesson. i was so afraid to shoot it because someone i knew broke his wirst. so yeah that is the best way to go. and yes i did pull a gun on "people" 3 times in my life. fired 2 warning shots in those situations. anywho, full disclosure is the way to go show the kids you trust them and they will reward you by giving you the responsibility and trust.(it also helps if you raise them to be good). anywho i'm wondering of the subject what i was gonna say is my dad had his safe with key and dial. (no weapons in the safe just a stockpile of ammo in there, and important documents and papers, some cash and other such things. out of curiousity one day after 4 hours of sitting there watching the safe researching online i found out how to open it. i knew where the key was hidden. i did not do it for the ammo in it there was enough ammo outside the safe. i just did it out of curiosity. if i'm not mistaken i was 9 years old

till this day my dad does not know that i could open the safe. never told him and my mum. did tell my sister once. but just so you know a safe is not safe from your own kids
2) If every gun owner took those precautions, the mortality rate among gun owner's families would be lower, don't you agree? Do you think that having doctor's occasionally discuss this with parents won't save a few lives, and do so without requiring any other sort of intervention?
agree 100%.
Seeing up close what a modified 16 call shotgun round does to a deer and other animals scares the living pants out of you.
on a side note, if someone wants to commit suicide i would rather he'd do it with a gun, instead of jumping in front of trains as they do here in the Netherlands. hate those ******** who thinks life suck so they gotta traumatize some train engineer by jumping on his windshield. and having train delays of 1-2 hours.
i'd rather those guys had a gun. so they could commit suicide in their homes without bothering 100's if not thousands of people

as i stated before a safe aint so safe. speaking from experience.
also i am not a fan of keeping a gun in your safe. cus when you need it it will be a tense stresfull situation try putting a key in a keyhole with adrenaline pumping and fight or flight going on in you.
fine motor skills are the first to go.
knowing frome xperience you could train those fine motor skills to be dead cold in stressful/tense situations.

I can easily fire a handgun as fast as he fired that rifle. That is a very poor arguement for a number of resons.

So what happened in one case is enough for you base an entire policy off of? Fair enough. Insert a case where a person having a large magazine saved their life. Oh look at that! I guess we should keep them.

you know if you give someone a simple handgun and a stick with a bayonet attached to it. and let him loose in a school he could probably kill 20 kindergarteners.
just go in a classroom shoot the teacher, lock the door shoot the other kids with the bullets you have left. and then just pick the kids of with the stick and bayonet 1 by 1.

as stated before guns are only a symptom of the problem.
if you treat symptoms of a disease the disease remains.

I dont have a spin dial and I make them leave the room when i open the safe. They do not even know that the safe has a key.

I am very aware that accidents can happen and that you never know. As such my oldest has had hunter safety and they are taken on a 3 day deer hunt each year. They are fully aware of what guns are and what they can do.

I absolutely think that guns should be properly secured in a safe or lockable gun rack of some sort. I am even open to the idea of making it a punishable offense (terms would have to be discussed) to having unsecured guns in the home where small children or mentally ill live. I agree that a little prevention and common sense would go a long way to diminishing gun deaths. Especially suicides and accidental discharges that kill someone (like when kids play with guns).

However a doctor asking about what weapons may be in a home is off limits in my opinion. Information about guns and the potential hazard they could be are everywhere. Internet, written articles, flyers, outreach programs, school lessons...