What's new

I want apologies for all the Niang hate on this board!!!

Some guys break ankles. Georges breaks wrists.
some guys just break.
qpx1xipuehsz.jpg

So Niang's defense... its good... like not good for him but like he's good at defense. Not great but above average. Its an amazing turn I didn't see coming.

Also, JC is just better on defense too. Didn't want to search out a thread but his commitment has been so much better this year. More steals from him... gets to more loose balls this year. He also has had some good assist games. Pretty awesome turn for a guy everyone had labeled as a good stats on a bad team guy.

So Niang's defense... its good... like not good for him but like he's good at defense. Not great but above average. Its an amazing turn I didn't see coming.

Also, JC is just better on defense too. Didn't want to search out a thread but his commitment has been so much better this year. More steals from him... gets to more loose balls this year. He also has had some good assist games. Pretty awesome turn for a guy everyone had labeled as a good stats on a bad team guy.
The day after the trade I made a thread saying he could be our Lou Williams / Jamal Crawford. He's way better than both those guys. On both ends.

The day after the trade I made a thread saying he could be our Lou Williams / Jamal Crawford. He's way better than both those guys. On both ends.
I think prime Lou will may have been slightly better on offense but terrible on defense... like one of the worst in the league. He could score or distribute.

I’m not sure why more players don’t embrace the bench flamethrower role. Seems like a fun way to play for certain dudes.

He’s played well for most of the year asswipe!!!
Not really. He was bad enough through the first almost half of the year so far that it shows his 3 pt percentage as in the low 30's when he was in the lows 40's last season, and has been well above 40 in the last 6-8 games or so. But even his recent strong stretch hasn't been enough to recover on his 3 pt percentage. The year before last he was 41%, last year 40%, and this year, including his 7-7 outing last night, he sits at 36%. So no, he hasn't been playing great all year.

I'll call it average. I think he has that advantage of people thinking he's easy pickings in ISO and he's putting up surprisingly good resistance on drives, but he remains a guy who gives up enough space to do so that a lot of starting level players will pick him apart. I think the weakest part of his game now is rebounding, but he's improved that a bit too. He's actually tracking rebounds that are effort wins instead of watching, a bit.

He's doing some baby Ingles stuff out there too with his passing from time to time (not just a shooter, but a guy who continues "the blender"). I wonder if he could ever take on more of a playmaker role. He's definitely a cerebral player who can see passing lanes, but I'm not sure if he has the dribble game to really facilitate it, especially in the PNR.

Wonder if anyone will offer him above the minimum next year and if the Jazz would match/offer more. He's a UFA next year.

So here is his 3 pt breakdown this season.

Total for the season so far:

37/101 = 36.6%

But, from the beginning of the season through the end of January:

18/56 = 32.1% (not good at all)

For the month of February:

19/45 = 42.2% (looks pretty good, a nice upswing but see next note)

Now, February MINUS the 7/7 game last night:

12/28 = 31.6%

So overall, not counting the 7/7 from last night:

30/94 = 31.9%

So no, he hasn't been good from 3 this year really at all. That 7/7 game last night brought his totals up to 36, but looking at the much larger sample size for the rest of the year, it does not bode well. Luckily he has a reputation for hitting the 3 that will make teams have to respect him, but so far this year he has just not been good from 3.

Like Bogie, I really hope Niang finds his shot. Without those 2 hitting at their normal 40% clip we are in big trouble when it comes playoff time and the games get much tighter.

Not really. He was bad enough through the first almost half of the year so far that it shows his 3 pt percentage as in the low 30's when he was in the lows 40's last season, and has been well above 40 in the last 6-8 games or so. But even his recent strong stretch hasn't been enough to recover on his 3 pt percentage. The year before last he was 41%, last year 40%, and this year, including his 7-7 outing last night, he sits at 36%. So no, he hasn't been playing great all year.
He's got 6 less made 3's and 4 less attempts than 2 years ago. Wow.
So here is his 3 pt breakdown this season.

Total for the season so far:

37/101 = 36.6%

But, from the beginning of the season through the end of January:

18/56 = 32.1% (not good at all)

For the month of February:

19/45 = 42.2% (looks pretty good, a nice upswing but see next note)

Now, February MINUS the 7/7 game last night:

12/28 = 31.6%

So overall, not counting the 7/7 from last night:

30/94 = 31.9%

So no, he hasn't been good from 3 this year really at all. That 7/7 game last night brought his totals up to 36, but looking at the much larger sample size for the rest of the year, it does not bode well. Luckily he has a reputation for hitting the 3 that will make teams have to respect him, but so far this year he has just not been good from 3.

Like Bogie, I really hope Niang finds his shot. Without those 2 hitting at their normal 40% clip we are in big trouble when it comes playoff time and the games get much tighter.
Why are we minusing a game exactly? Do really good games not count to stats anymore?

The hate for him here has been overboard, and so has the praise at times, frankly.

Lukewarm take: he is and has been a useful and worthy rotation player, but his slot in the rotation is the clearest spot the Jazz could improve

People have this weird thing where they think 40% 3pt shooters are going to shoot 40% from 3 every game.

Nah, it doesnt work like that. 40% means he is dangerous and you better check him or a 7/7 game from three is possible. In a small sample size there is going to be variance. If he's at 200 threes on the year and still below 38%, then you can cry about him not having a good shooting year.