What's new

Its Time to Tank

Tank is on process. Seems that DA and staff realize that we are good but not good enough. No interest to ended 6-10 and loose at Play in or first round. Manage players smartly ( as they did tonight) and we will be bottom 6-7. Get one lucky draft and one good FA and we back on track !!
Our schedule will turn easier based on all measurements (# of b2bs, rest advantage, opponent strength... even 1 extra home game). We are in good position to make the top 6 even without trades, and if we find a good trade then that might push us even further. No one is owning the West atm.

There are a lot of quasi-contenders who need to make moves to put them on Boston/Milwaukee/NOLA level of contention.

Utah just has to sit tight and wait for the offers to roll in. No need to sell off now. Our ceiling as a team is probably the 6th seed. Our floor is probably 11th.

We can easily sell this thing off if the offers are good enough and get to the 8-10th worst record in the NBA. The good thing about a clear floor being set by the ****** teams is that the Jazz know there is no way they can get that bad, so there is no rush to make bad trades.

Last edited:
There are a lot of quasi-contenders who need to make moves to put them on Boston/Milwaukee/NOLA level of contention.

Utah just has to sit tight and wait for the offers to roll in.
Unfortunately, I presume most teams will be calling about Lauri, and he's obviously off limits in any kind of tank-related fire sale.

Olynyk may still have a market, but at this point it's small and specific. His defensive shortcomings are becoming worse by the year, and he'd be mercilessly hunted in a playoff series environment. I'm sceptical.

In theory, most teams can use a scorer off the bench like Clarkson, but he's looking for one more big bag at 30 years of age, and that's a headache most playoff teams with established rosters could probably do without.

I don't see much of a market for Conley (as important as he is for this team), Sexton, NAW or THT.

Beasley is the guy who will probably be gone quickly if we actually start making guys available. He's still young, on a reasonable contract, and everyone needs bench shooting. I'd keep him though.

Last edited:
What kind of timescale are we talking about here?
Well considering we are riding a, what near 50-year long dry spell, I would imagine as long as you could vaguely attrribute winning a championship to a string of bad seasons, even if it was 10 years further down the road, it would probably be worth it. Now, if they let that happen and they don't have any kind of plan and it just kind of fades away and doesn't amount to anything that will be an abject failure. But if we can connect a string of points from point A - losing seasons for a couple of years, to point Z - winning the championship, then it would be worth it. So, losing seasons means we get picks A, B, and C and that leads to players D, E, and F, which facilitates trades G, H, and I, which leads to picks J, k, and L and free agent signing M, N, and O, which gets used in a trade for player P, and picks Q, R, and S, which then get flipped into players T and U, and a trade for player V, with picks leading to W, X, and a final trade for the last piece, player Y, leading to Championship Z!! Well that would be worth it.

But if it dies out somewhere at points D through M or something and the next step is basically "start over from point A", then it would have been a failure, as we have obviously seen so many many times before.

We started this path a while ago, but by about step D it ended up in DedEx, which lead us right back around to A again. Really bad moves like that short-circuit the process and cause us to start over again. Even seemingly meaningless later moves can interrupt the process, like Doke take instead of, who was it, Bane that year, or even McDaniels, both of whom would have been far better for our team at that point. Or using assets to trade up and take a player like Trey Burke, chasing a position rather than taking BPA when there were still guys on the board like CJ McCollum, Schroder, Steven Adams, and good hell, Giannis. Can't have that many whiffs like that. Imagine in a single draft picking up Giannis and Gobert. Wow.

So as long as we don't just screw the pooch the hope is that a few rough years ends in enough assets which, used wisely, can get us in a position to win the chip. As long as it does, with a direct line from point A to point Z, then it was worth it.

Unfortunately, I presume most teams will be calling about Lauri, and he's obviously off limits in any kind of tank-related fire sale.

Olynyk may still have a market, but at this point it's small and specific. His defensive shortcomings are becoming worse by the year, and he'd be mercilessly hunted in a playoff series environment. I'm sceptical.

In theory, most teams can use a scorer off the bench like Clarkson, but he's looking for one more big bag at 30 years of age, and that's a headache most playoff teams with established rosters could probably do without.

I don't see much of a market for Conley (as important as he is for this team), Sexton, NAW or THT.

Beasley is the guy who will probably be gone quickly if we actually start making guys available. He's still young, on a reasonable contract, and everyone needs bench shooting. I'd keep him though.
You forgot Vando. If Hardy won't play him and Kessler together, and if we want Kessler to play more, then we need to move Vando.

You forgot Vando. If Hardy won't play him and Kessler together, and if we want Kessler to play more, then we need to move Vando.
This. Time to get what we can for Vando. The guy is an energy guy that makes you feel like he is doing more than he is for us on the court. But activity does not equal effectiveness. We could get an asset or 2 for him, even if just a few 2nd rounders, or such, and that would open up room for Kessler to play more.

Utah just has to sit tight and wait for the offers to roll in. No need to sell off now. Our ceiling as a team is probably the 6th seed. Our floor is probably 11th.

We can easily sell this thing off if the offers are good enough and get to the 8-10th worst record in the NBA. The good thing about a clear floor being set by the ****** teams is that the Jazz know there is no way they can get that bad, so there is no rush to make bad trades.
Agree with everything in this post except NOLA being in a selective contender tier. They've got a good point differential and all, but I have no faith in that team in the playoffs, just surprised to see someone so high on them

Agree with everything in this post except NOLA being in a selective contender tier. They've got a good point differential and all, but I have no faith in that team in the playoffs, just surprised to see someone so high on them
Yeah, wild to be high on a team that is #1 in the West despite dealing with a ton of injuries

This. Time to get what we can for Vando. The guy is an energy guy that makes you feel like he is doing more than he is for us on the court. But activity does not equal effectiveness. We could get an asset or 2 for him, even if just a few 2nd rounders, or such, and that would open up room for Kessler to play more.
Yeah, in an ideal world he would bring back some picks, but other teams can read advanced stats too.

Screw the tank.
There is no formula.
There is just a promise of "maybe".
More specifically, "maybe in the future we can draft the right guys and build a winning team around them".

Top 10 guys are often not who we think they are coming from the draft. Evidenced by the fact that most of the time we draft others before them. And since it seems like a fairly accepted fact that you must have a top 10 guy to truely compete, well... how to exactly draft him?

Lets look at best players in the league right now (in no particular order but hopefully covering all that appear on anyones top 10):
Luka - 3rd (important notice, despite being top 3 the two guys drafted before him are total scrubs, and Hawks were willing to downgrade away from Luka)
Tatum - 3rd (drafed behind 2 guys who havent made an impact yet, and maybe never will due to health reasons)
Giannis - 15th
Steph - 7th
Jokic - 41st
Durant - 2nd (and the guy drafted ahead of him was the more "surefire" guy in Greg Oden... you see KD needed a lot of work "in the weight room" before he could become legit in the NBA)
AD - 1st and rightfully so.. but even though he is back to top 10 now, he hasn't been consistently up there. Furthermore, the team that drafted him has 0 championships and another team that paid the ransom reaped the benefits.
Embiid - 3rd (as a talent he was the best but health concerns dropped him to 3rd)
Booker - 13th
DM - 13th
Ja - 2nd
Zion - 1st
SGA - 11th

Shouldnt there be more #1s in that list than Zion and AD? Also count how many chips guys drafted top 3 won for the teams that drafted them? Hint: 0.
Get this: there are no top 3 picks from past 15 years who won a chip for the team that drafted them as their best player. Kyrie won one with Lebron, but playing the second fiddle. Tatum might break the trend. Might.

Oh and btw, that is 15+ years of drafts there. So 38 total top 3 picks that are not on that list which still has 5 guys picked outside of top 10 (40%). To be fair, some of those 38 top 3 picks that are not on that list were up there for a moment before disappearing... but vast majority have turned good to decent or just slipped to total irrelevance after doing next to nothing.

Lets look at 2015 just because these guys are in their absolute prime right now... yet some of them are out of jobs. Booker was #13, but these guys where valued better than him. Which of those has ever even been mentioned as a top player? No one. Potential top 10? KAT only. But we now know he isnt.

11Karl-Anthony Towns*~C
23px-Flag_of_the_Dominican_Republic.svg.png
Dominican Republic[n 2]
Minnesota TimberwolvesKentucky (Fr.)
12D'Angelo Russell+PG
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
Los Angeles LakersOhio State (Fr.)
13Jahlil OkaforC
23px-Flag_of_Nigeria.svg.png
Nigeria
Philadelphia 76ersDuke (Fr.)
14Kristaps Porziņģis+PF/C
23px-Flag_of_Latvia.svg.png
Latvia
New York KnicksBaloncesto Sevilla (Spain)
15Mario HezonjaSG/SF
23px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png
Croatia
Orlando MagicFC Barcelona (Spain)
16Willie Cauley-SteinPF
United States
Sacramento KingsKentucky (Jr.)
17Emmanuel MudiayPG
20px-Flag_of_the_Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo.svg.png
DR Congo[n 3]
Denver NuggetsGuangdong Southern Tigers
18Stanley JohnsonSF
United States
Detroit PistonsArizona (Fr.)
19Frank KaminskyPF
United States
Charlotte HornetsWisconsin (Sr.)
110Justise WinslowSF
United States
Miami HeatDuke (Fr.)
111Myles TurnerC
United States
Indiana PacersTexas (Fr.)
112Trey LylesPF
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada
Utah JazzKentucky (Fr.)

There is an average of 2 guys per draft who at some point during their career get elevated to the elitest tier of players. Some drafts there can be as many as 6 or 7, other drafts you struggle to find a single one. And we just suck at telling who those guys are before they are drafted and sometimes even after seeing them play for a few years.

Its all smoke and mirrors. Picking 1st or 7th or 25th is not what eventually sets teams apart. Winning chips these days is much more about player development, coaching and team building (trades included). Only thing high pick gives you is a better chance for a better embryo to try and develop. But some of the even most hyped ones are just tainted, hopeless and destined to be busts regardless of where they land.

Screw the tank.
There is no formula.
There is just a promise of "maybe".
More specifically, "maybe in the future we can draft the right guys and build a winning team around them".

Top 10 guys are often not who we think they are coming from the draft. Evidenced by the fact that most of the time we draft others before them. And since it seems like a fairly accepted fact that you must have a top 10 guy to truely compete, well... how to exactly draft him?

Lets look at best players in the league right now (in no particular order but hopefully covering all that appear on anyones top 10):
Luka - 3rd (important notice, despite being top 3 the two guys drafted before him are total scrubs, and Hawks were willing to downgrade away from Luka)
Tatum - 3rd (drafed behind 2 guys who havent made an impact yet, and maybe never will due to health reasons)
Giannis - 15th
Steph - 7th
Jokic - 41st
Durant - 2nd (and the guy drafted ahead of him was the more "surefire" guy in Greg Oden... you see KD needed a lot of work "in the weight room" before he could become legit in the NBA)
AD - 1st and rightfully so.. but even though he is back to top 10 now, he hasn't been consistently up there. Furthermore, the team that drafted him has 0 championships and another team that paid the ransom reaped the benefits.
Embiid - 3rd (as a talent he was the best but health concerns dropped him to 3rd)
Booker - 13th
DM - 13th
Ja - 2nd
Zion - 1st
SGA - 11th

Shouldnt there be more #1s in that list than Zion and AD? Also count how many chips guys drafted top 3 won for the teams that drafted them? Hint: 0.
Get this: there are no top 3 picks from past 15 years who won a chip for the team that drafted them as their best player. Kyrie won one with Lebron, but playing the second fiddle. Tatum might break the trend. Might.

Oh and btw, that is 15+ years of drafts there. So 38 total top 3 picks that are not on that list which still has 5 guys picked outside of top 10 (40%). To be fair, some of those 38 top 3 picks that are not on that list were up there for a moment before disappearing... but vast majority have turned good to decent or just slipped to total irrelevance after doing next to nothing.

Lets look at 2015 just because these guys are in their absolute prime right now... yet some of them are out of jobs. Booker was #13, but these guys where valued better than him. Which of those has ever even been mentioned as a top player? No one. Potential top 10? KAT only. But we now know he isnt.

There is an average of 2 guys per draft who at some point during their career get elevated to the elitest tier of players. Some drafts there can be as many as 6 or 7, other drafts you struggle to find a single one. And we just suck at telling who those guys are before they are drafted and sometimes even after seeing them play for a few years.

Its all smoke and mirrors. Picking 1st or 7th or 25th is not what eventually sets teams apart. Winning chips these days is much more about player development, coaching and team building (trades included). Only thing high pick gives you is a better chance for a better embryo to try and develop. But some of the even most hyped ones are just tainted, hopeless and destined to be busts regardless of where they land.
Wait... so you say screw the tank then list off the top 13 players in the NBA and over half were taken in the top 4?

With combined 0 championships won for the teams that drafted them.
When you measure success as only championships then every team building strategy can be dismissed as stupid with a handful of outliers... because the nature of title teams is they are outliers. The goal should be to be a top 5 team over a 5-6 year window and hope to get some breaks that lead to winning a title.

All roads lead to failure... all roads can lead to success. You simply need to choose the road most likely to lead to long term success. If we don't land a star in this year's draft it gets hard to see us building on Lauri's timeline as the other picks we own are 2025 and after. We can trade and try to find other stars but those guys don't come on the market all the time. In our situation it would be much better to land a top 5 pick than make the play in and draft somewhere in between 12-17 (that is a range you can easily trade into unlike top 5).

When you measure success as only championships then every team building strategy can be dismissed as stupid with a handful of outliers... because the nature of title teams is they are outliers. The goal should be to be a top 5 team over a 5-6 year window and hope to get some breaks that lead to winning a title.

All roads lead to failure... all roads can lead to success. You simply need to choose the road most likely to lead to long term success. If we don't land a star in this year's draft it gets hard to see us building on Lauri's timeline as the other picks we own are 2025 and after. We can trade and try to find other stars but those guys don't come on the market all the time. In our situation it would be much better to land a top 5 pick than make the play in and draft somewhere in between 12-17 (that is a range you can easily trade into unlike top 5).
I like the concept or being competitive and building up with a purpose, while being opportunistic.

Not sucking on purpose and trying to luck out. While there are 7 top 3 picks there, the 38 missing top 3 guys from the same timespan are more telling of the true gambling nature of draft.

Even more so, the 13 #1 picks not present are almost all red flags. I suppose I dont need to list them.

I like the concept or being competitive and building up with a purpose, while being opportunistic.

Not sucking on purpose and trying to luck out. While there are 7 top 3 picks there, the 38 missing top 3 guys from the same timespan are more telling of the true gambling nature of draft.

Even more so, the 13 #1 picks not present are almost all red flags. I suppose I dont need to list them.
You don't seem to get it. At this point there is no benefit to keeping vets and trying to win games. Whether it is focusing on what type of potential our younger player have or the improvement of our draft pick the best thing for this team is to trade away the vets.

I can respect it... I just think if you take the top 5 picks each year and compare the value to the say 10-15 picks in the draft that the hit rate is likely double what the 10-15 range is. The biggest thing we need to build the franchise is talent.

I will say the 10-15 range is surprisingly fruitful. If we can acquire a pick in that range by consolidating picks I would do it.

There are so sure things and there are lots of roads to success. I think the road we are currently on could work but its also the same road that has lead to some treadmill teams. Landing a top 4 pick with the current basket of players and assets we have would propel us forward significantly imo. Not landing and AS talent in this draft will put us squarely on the treadmill imo. Can we land that with a pick in the 10-14 range? What will the other picks look like? We can kind of control one part of that equation and I still think we should manage it a little if possible.