What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
That doesn't preclude them from putting a framework in place. Season doesn't start until October 19.
And that may be what they have done…. But there would still be physicals and all that… so you wouldn’t necessarily announce something prior to September. They may have a decent idea of what everyone would accept but just waiting out the clock to further down the road.

Its also the nba so you wouldn’t want to agree to something 45 days in advance and then have a guy tear an ACL in an offseason workout or have something else happen… I think the September clock is hindering some of these things from getting too far down the road.

TheStormofWar

And that may be what they have done…. But there would still be physicals and all that… so you wouldn’t necessarily announce something prior to September. They may have a decent idea of what everyone would accept but just waiting out the clock to further down the road.

Its also the nba so you wouldn’t want to agree to something 45 days in advance and then have a guy tear an ACL in an offseason workout or have something else happen… I think the September clock is hindering some of these things from getting too far down the road.
No doubt, but they aren't announcing anything. They could simply have the framework for the deal and see if anyone has a better offer. If not, shoot the deal when they can trade the affected players.

KqWIN

It sucks to wait....but I feel like some deal is 95% in place already and we'll have to wait a few more weeks/important dates to pass before it's announced and agreed upon. There's a lot of details to work out, and it takes time and there's always going to be a game of chicken for the last asset. No real reason for either side to cave in until right before the season.

It's a boring time of the summer. We've discussed all the iterations 100x over by now.