What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

Not really...the post I was responding to said that the Knicks would add another star to play with Mitchell, therefore making the Knicks a good team and the picks we receive from them less valuable. I disagree that that will happen
I agree with you. I disagree that will happen. If the Knicks believe they can pull that off - despite plenty of evidence that they won’t be able to - I feel it makes them more likely to cave to the Jazz demands. Star power is everything. Donovan Mitchell is a star, and getting him would give them false hope that they could add stars around him. Their roster is NOT structured to build around Mitchell, but they won’t find that out until a few years down the line.

those NY picks might turn out to be nothing, if NY gets mitchell they also will get another star to come join mitchell, mitchell ain't toxic kd nor off the wall kyrie. People actually like playing with him.

Stars enjoy playing with Donovan so much so, that each year he’s been an All Star, he’s one of the last 2 players chosen in the AS draft.

It sounds like RJ won’t be part of a NY/Donovan deal. They dropped over $100 million on 6 foot tall Brunson, they’re about to acquire 6 foot tall Mitchell on a max deal, and they’ll be maxing out RJ just 1 season after acquiring Brunson & Don.

If the Jazz had traded Rudy this offseason with the idea of actually building around Donovan, and their big moves we’re signing Brunson and acquiring RJ, I’d be ******** a 15lb gold brick right about now because that core IS NOT going to win you ****.

Add to that the fact that as long as the Jazz don’t help out the Knicks by taking back Randall in this deal, NY is already ****ed financially and should have a hard time moving Randall’s contract going forward. I’m sure the combo of Donovan playing in NY will attract the interest of some FA stars, but they’re gonna have to wanna join up bad enough to come in on the discount of a mid level or vet minimum contract.

Can NY move brunson? lol. Imagine getting signed and then both brunson and RJ get traded for a better players to fit next to mitchell.

those NY picks might turn out to be nothing, if NY gets mitchell they also will get another star to come join mitchell, mitchell ain't toxic kd nor off the wall kyrie. People actually like playing with him.
Been making that point about picks for a while. The number of picks that turn into players as good as Rudy and Don is very low and people love to point out a few picks that became lotto picks and stars but there are dozens and dozens of trades for first round picks that never amount to a great player.

Been making that point about picks for a while. The number of picks that turn into players as good as Rudy and Don is very low and people love to point out a few picks that became lotto picks and stars but there are dozens and dozens of trades for first round picks that never amount to a great player.

I understand the thought process of this logic for sure. The problem is sans a few special circumstances you can’t win a championship without having a top-5 ish player. The only real way for us to do that is accumulate as many draft picks as possible and be terrible ourselves to give us the most chances as getting a player of that caliber.

I don’t think the numbers are that far off. Can you think of many trades where unprotected picks and swaps were given that did not net some lotto selections?

There are lots of trades for single protected firsts that definitely netted small returns… but I think we’d be surprised if we looked at trades with multiple picks and unprotected picks. There is a reason teams stopped handing them out.

Seeing some rumblings on Twitter that the Knicks offered six picks - the four protected from other teams, and their own 23 and 25 unprotected.

Jazz want all four of Knicks unprotected, plus two of the others.

You can see why things are at a standstill.

Seeing some rumblings on Twitter that the Knicks offered six picks - the four protected from other teams, and their own 23 and 25 unprotected.

Jazz want all four of Knicks unprotected, plus two of the others.

You can see why things are at a standstill.
That's a **** offer. The 4 other picks are all heavily protected and the MKE pick has a chance of about 1% maybe less to convert. So it's 5 picks and 3 of them are trash picks.

Regardless our focus needs to be on getting the Knicks 23/25/27/29 1sts first and foremost. Even if they want to protect the 2029 1st top-5 like Minnesota.
Yep. 2027 and 2029 picks are the best assets NYK has. IMO we should do no trade without having at least one of them unprotected.

Knick fans think they have leverage and not give oBI, IQ, or grimes and only 2 pick and 3 protected. Need find other team. This is not acceptable.

Yep. 2027 and 2029 picks are the best assets NYK has. IMO we should do no trade without having at least one of them unprotected.

At worst it should be 27 unprotected and 29 top-5 protected. Exactly what we got in the Gobert trade.

I would also like to get their 26 pick swap so we have more options to swap with in 2026 since we have Minnesota’s as well.

Knick fans think they have leverage and not give oBI, IQ, or grimes and only 2 pick and 3 protected. Need find other team. This is not acceptable.
Don't listen to NYK fans. Knicks have no leverage.
There is no such thing as a team wanting to trade for a 25 year old 3 time all star who has 3 years on his deal having leverage in trade talks. Ainge has ALL the leverage anyone can ask for. The team that has the most valuable asset that others want always has the leverage.

Bring in Sac town. All those Miami rumors just won't get it done. Knicks clearly knew that Miami can't beat their offer. kangz is one of the few teams that can and they've been trying to win for years now.

Regardless our focus needs to be on getting the Knicks 23/25/27/29 1sts first and foremost. Even if they want to protect the 2029 1st top-5 like Minnesota.
This deal should absolutely start with the same things Minnesota gave up.

23/25/27 picks unprotected
29 pick top 5 protected
26 pick swap
Young players to develop - (Vanderbilt, Kessler & Bolmaro)
Favorable salary back - (Beasley & Beverley)

Bare minimum.

I think on top of that, the Jazz should expect at least one more pick - (23 Dallas Is my preference), and another pick swap (28) along with at least two of Toppin, Quickley and Grimes.

Edit - Oh, and I want them to throw in some 2nd round picks and the rights to Rokas Jokubaitis as well.

Last edited:
I can understand why the Knicks don't want to gut the team by getting DM. I can also see why the Jazz wants to get as much as possible for their developed star.

I see the players that are being discussed

Toppin - I think He should be in the trade
Barrett - I am OK if NY wants to keep him but they need to pony up picks
Quickley - It doesn't matter if he is in or out. 6-3 is a good size for a PG and they lack height in the backcourt.
Grimes - seems to be the linchpin in this trade. If it was me I would as for Grimes and fewer FRPs. Get 4 as long as min 3 are NYs
Reddish - I am a big fan and feel on a tanking team like the Jazz he can come into his own and be the 3 and D player he should be.
McBride - if quickley is not in the trade McBride should be and he would be a decent backup.

I think if we take Fournier's contract (needed for salaries) they take Rudy Gay's contract back. I think they will need him also on their roster. I also think you could flip Fournier to another team.

I make this deal happen as quickly as possible

Toppin, Grimes, Reddish, Fournier, McBride (3 NY picks and 1 of their other picks and 3 second rounders) for DM, Gay, and Azubuike

Use a pick to make the Collin Sexton S&T happen

Here is one I thought about Trade Bojan and Clarkson to Miami for Herro. I think that is a great trade for Miami and they keep the shooting with Bojan and the scoring with Clarkson.

Walker Kessler