What's new

Jazz cancelled my family's season tickets after 36 years.

Astonished that this happened the way it did! Really, really impressed with Greg's actions and seeming interest in his customers, or people in general.

So getting back to the topic, let me see if I have this straight...

A relative of the offended party, who just happens to be an attorney, makes a post excoriating Greg Miller and the heartless folks in the season ticket office. Several posters jump on the bandwagon. After all, it was such a cruel thing to do to a family that had just lost its patriarch. Only problem is this attorney had failed to get all the facts straight: the call was not made after his grandfather's death. It was made the day before. So what, then, was the original issue? The uncles could have renewed in the grandfather's name; he was still alive. Or did they miss a deadline?

Greg Miller himself then posts on the board and gives out the number of a subordinate he has assigned to the issue. A week passes. The uncles fail to follow up. Greg Miller, who I'm sure is a much busier man, is the one who keeps the issue on the front burner and follows up. Finally a call is made and a meeting arranged. At the meeting, Greg offers to give the uncle season tickets at the original price. Wasn't this the original problem - i.e. the uncles were losing their right to buy the season tickets the grandfather had?

The uncle refuses, claiming he has been damaged because other parties who would have split the cost have found alternative sources. Ummm, by my account, this process took just over a week between the time the uncle was informed he would lose the seats and the time Greg made his offer. Furthermore, one week of that delay was ENTIRELY the fault of sirkicky's uncle for not calling the contact number Greg Miller had provided. Sorry, this whole incident reeks of a shakedown by the uncle to just have Greg back down and give him some freebies for his troubles.

Kudos to Mr. Miller for explaining the ticket policies and for standing his ground. I've been critical of Greg quite a few times on this board. This time, I applaud him. It's not often a CEO would take so much time out of his schedule to deal with an issue this minor. BY all rights, he probably should have just left the issue to the head of the ticket office and maybe a more minor member of the Jazz front office.
That a great read, and an excellent job of putting the whole thing into perspective. The errors in Kicky's story literally changed everything. The Jazz ticket office was initially put in a very bad light, and the CEO responded by reaching out multiple times on an internet message board. Incredible! Major props to GMiller. I'm going to go back to one of his two posts and rep it. What pages were they on? Let's see how high we can get his rep power.

Edit: GMiller's posts were #62 and #149. His rep points are at 300 (including my newly delivered 33) and his rep adjustment power is still currently at 0.

A relative of the offended party, who just happens to be an attorney, makes a post excoriating Greg Miller and the heartless folks in the season ticket office. Several posters jump on the bandwagon. After all, it was such a cruel thing to do to a family that had just lost its patriarch. Only problem is this attorney had failed to get all the facts straight: the call was not made after his grandfather's death. It was made the day before. So what, then, was the original issue? The uncles could have renewed in the grandfather's name; he was still alive. Or did they miss a deadline?

Greg Miller himself then posts on the board and gives out the number of a subordinate he has assigned to the issue. A week passes. The uncles fail to follow up. Greg Miller, who I'm sure is a much busier man, is the one who keeps the issue on the front burner and follows up. Finally a call is made and a meeting arranged. At the meeting, Greg offers to give the uncle season tickets at the original price. Wasn't this the original problem - i.e. the uncles were losing their right to buy the season tickets the grandfather had?

The uncle refuses, claiming he has been damaged because other parties who would have split the cost have found alternative sources. Ummm, by my account, this process took just over a week between the time the uncle was informed he would lose the seats and the time Greg made his offer. Furthermore, one week of that delay was ENTIRELY the fault of sirkicky's uncle for not calling the contact number Greg Miller had provided. Sorry, this whole incident reeks of a shakedown by the uncle to just have Greg back down and give him some freebies for his troubles.

Kudos to Mr. Miller for explaining the ticket policies and for standing his ground. I've been critical of Greg quite a few times on this board. This time, I applaud him. It's not often a CEO would take so much time out of his schedule to deal with an issue this minor. BY all rights, he probably should have just left the issue to the head of the ticket office and maybe a more minor member of the Jazz front office.

Agreed 100%.

Seems like this board has a few pretty unique opportunities right now since we know a Jazz Org account with links to the front office, under the name GMiller, is registered. So... we could either be adolescent and spam the heck out of it, OR we could use it as an opportunity to engage management in the way that is conducive to both sides.

For example, would seem prudent to compile a list of the great things you all love about the in game experience (I've never been, unfortunately, in SLC). The Miller's have invested in the arena... so what about those investments have really returned $$$ in terms of your fan experience? Then, compile a list of 2 or 3 realistic experiences that could be approved. When you have that all down, then some like Colton could PM that account with a link to the poll and a summary of the final results.

If this board provides value added contribution to them, then I'm sure we could get some kudos back. Perhaps a yearly kickoff chat with GMiller or something.

I don't get the sense that the Millers run the Jazz for the money. They view it as a key part of this community. They make way more $$$ in other places... and I know in my own businesses that I spend my time where I make a return.

Or, we can just continue to be the typical juvenile junk humor board with flashes of great insight that keep most of us lurkers around. But I doubt GMiller himself will spend much time on it. This board would just go back to being monitored by someone in front office PR...

As an out of state Jazz fan, this board is about a close to "Jazz community" as I ever get. I attend Jazz games in San Antonio, Boston, NY and LA. Not exactly the hot bed of Jazz fandom. I would love to get a chance to interact with the Jazz organization, and this could be a pretty cool avenue.

And boom goes the dynamite.

On a side note, anyone else tired of entitlement?

Corbin interviewed for some jobs, and didn't land any of them, including a job as head coach at DePaul (his alma mater [who are basically irrelevant]). Lots of guys get interviewed, I didn't see Corbin as a particularly hot name at the time and don't in hindsight either.

Hiring him for the following season before seeing how he performed was a flagrant error. I fail to see the upside.

Go ahead and name names, because my gut tells me that this isn't true. And on a related note, I will be stunned if Corbin ever becomes anything close to a big name coach.

I think most of the great coaches have that "it" factor from the very start. And I'm sure I will get slammed for this, but I never thought Jerry Sloan was a great coach.

Top 10 coaches all time in wins:

Don Nelson: Spent his first three seasons under .500 in Milwaukee. Records later improved but his tenure was virtually no different from his predecessor.
Lenny Wilkens: Losing record five of first six seasons across two teams.
Pat Riley: Instant Success
Jerry Sloan: Below .400 in 2+ seasons with the Bulls.
Phil Jackson: Record in his first actual head coaching gigs in CBA and Foreign Leagues is very mixed. Failed to make the playoffs in multiple stops and won one CBA championship. Instant NBA Success.
Larry Brown: Instant ABA Success
George Karl: Below .400 in first 4 seasons across two teams.
Bill Fitch : Below .500 for first 5 seasons.
Red Auerbach: Constant Winner
Dick Motta: Below .500 his first two seasons. Actually finished his career 41 wins under .500.

Obviously I was wrong about "virtually all" but I was thinking of the majority of these guys when I said it. 6 or 7 (depending on how you feel about Jackson) of the top 10 winners of all-time had poor or slow starts to their coaching careers.

The rest of the thread doesn't really deserve a response. But I for one am stunned that Archie and Hantlers don't like me.

Corbin interviewed for some jobs, and didn't land any of them, including a job as head coach at DePaul (his alma mater [who are basically irrelevant]). Lots of guys get interviewed, I didn't see Corbin as a particularly hot name at the time and don't in hindsight either.

Hiring him for the following season before seeing how he performed was a flagrant error. I fail to see the upside.
I can't remember if it's the nfl or the nba that has a rule that a team has to interview a black dude before they can hire a coach.

Kicky is what people think of when they think of the typical lawyer.

I am actually surprised he responded though. I thought for sure another client might try to kill him and he'd have to enter WITSEC (again).